Author Topic: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets  (Read 41261 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets
« Reply #120 on: 23 November 2017, 21:36:25 »
To toss another name on the table, there's Bob Hartley, who is fluent in French, has a Cup ring (granted, from sixteen years ago and on a pre-salary-cap superteam, but still)... his stint in Calgary wasn't great, and his stint in Atlanta was sort of stuck with an awful roster, but he's at least an option.

That said, are any of the available options- Hartley included- better options than the guy who lead the Bruins to a Cup, a few minutes from a Game 7 for another, and (until the salary cap monster ate their defense) consistently were among the leagues' best teams in the early half of the decade? There's only so much one can do with a really bad team (see: Hartley in Atlanta), and Julien flat out doesn't have a very good roster right now. Firing him isn't going to fix the problem- it's the guy above HIM in the hierarchy that's causing the problem.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #121 on: 27 November 2017, 23:24:07 »
Well, the pod person who was impersonating Carey Price seems to have left the building.  Only two games back from injury, but the Carey Price who shut out Buffalo two nights ago and repeatedly stymied a much better Columbus team tonight is the man who Geoff Molson wanted to see play when he agreed to part with 10M a year of his money.

And that is exceptionally bad, really.  Why?

I'm thrilled as any Habs fan that the Habs got the 4 points.  But that win against the Jackets tonight was a TYPICAL MARC BERGEVIN GAME.  This is exactly what Bergie wants to see.  This was the kind of game he built the team for.  Pick your moments while the other team runs roughshod over you and hope your all-world goalie actually comes to play, stands on his head and steals a win for you.  Like Price did tonight.

I find I'm thinking more conspiratorially as I get older (NEVER a good sign in today's world, I know!) but there's actually a part of me that wants to believe that Price's crappy play earlier this season was at least partly intentional.  That he was sending a signal to his teammates and especially management, that "you can't rely on me to be in superhuman form all the time, you've got to put a decent team in front of me or this is what's going to happen."  But nobody seems to have learned anything.  The D-corps still generally sucks and is now without Shea Weber for who knows how long, and the scoring...well...when your current two best players are two of the smallest guys on the team...

On the plus side, Jakub Jerabek, Bergevin's latest ex-KHL experiment who they inexplicably buried** on the farm team for the first quarter of the season, actually seems like he might be the Emelin replacement that Alzner was supposed to be.

**I know, I know, they said it was to give him time to adapt to the North American game--unlike Radulov, Jerabek never played on this side of the pond before.  But Alzner has turned out to be such a bust that's it's baffling they didn't call Jerabek up earlier.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #122 on: 28 November 2017, 06:16:47 »
You know, the funny part is that there's a lot of fans here in DC still pining for Alzner to come back. To me, that says they don't watch Habs games.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #123 on: 28 November 2017, 10:51:43 »
why would we?

Most of us noticed that he hasn't been the same since his surgery. It doesn't sound like his skating has gotten any better/faster since last season.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #124 on: 28 November 2017, 11:10:28 »
why would we?

Most of us noticed that he hasn't been the same since his surgery. It doesn't sound like his skating has gotten any better/faster since last season.

Oh hell, to look at the followers of Russian Machine Never Breaks, the biggest blunder the team ever made was not signing Brooks Laich to a lifetime contract.

I get it, I mean I keep an eye on Bruins who have gone on to other teams. You have favorite players who go off somewhere else and it's sad to lose them (Milan Lucic was always a crowd pleaser in Boston for example, always nice to see him do well in Edmonton- other than scoring against Boston a couple of nights ago. Jerk.) Some of that canonization of past players though... I pick on Caps fans for it because I live here among you weirdos, but every fan base does it, I suppose. (Well, maybe not Vegas.)

+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #125 on: 30 November 2017, 01:25:41 »

I intentionally didn't bring that up, because I don't want to get into a long discussion about it.  If I want to win, I hire the guy who I think gives me the best chance to win whether he speaks French or not.  I make a point of it only when it is brought up (he gives us the best chance to win).  If they don't care about winning right now and just want another French speaking coach hire Roy and get it over with.  I know whatever language it is in that the sound bites should be great.  I mentioned Tippett as he was the only name that immediately came to mind.  There isn't a glut of coaches with experience that is going to get as much or more out of this team than Julien.  Of course if they want to talk to Ottawa about trading for Guy Boucher I've got my memes ready to go.

I'm 1000% with you on this.  Every English-speaking Habs fan too.  Heck, at this point, I'd say even a fair number of the francophone fans too, considering what the Habs have put on the ice this year.  But there are still too many, especially in the French-language media, who simply will not have it.  You may or may not have heard about the stink they made last time the Habs had an English-only head coach, when Randy Cunneyworth was hired to replace Jacques Martin.  Never mind for a second that Cunneyworth wasn't a great coach and couldn't really right the ship.  What was more important TO THEM is that he was a unilingual anglo from Ontario.  Quebec nationalist groups wanted to boycott Molson products (they SHOULD be boycotted, but for reasons other than that!), protested outside the Bell Centre, and even the bloody provincial culture minister got involved, saying the Habs organization needed to "rectify the situation" ASAP!  Geoff Molson doesn't have the spine or the balls to stand up to these people and so will continue to hamstring his own team to satisfy people who don't actually care about the on-ice product.
(Incidentally, Bergevin tried to keep Cunneyworth around as an assistant coach.  He was let go at the insistence of Michel Therrien.)

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 05:13:00 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #126 on: 30 November 2017, 02:11:55 »
Oh yeah, Habs did it again tonight.  2-1 over Sens.

I like the fact that they won, but not the way they won.  Another "Bergie special", though Price wasn't quite as overworked as in the previous two starts.

And that Schlemko character finally showed himself to be a real person and made his Habs debut.  Reports say he didn't look too bad.
Can actually move the puck a bit.

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 05:11:59 by gyedid »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 02 December 2017, 22:13:39 »
So...

Somebody forgot to tell Detroit's entire D-corps that they had a game in Montreal tonight  >:D

Does this mean that either Mrazek or Howard have played their last game for the Wings?  (You guys all know what I'm referring to...)

And lo and behold, the Habs are above .500 ** for only the second time this year and in the playoff picture.

*Well sort of.  I'm a bit old school and still consider OT and shootout losses to be losses.  I won't be fully satisfied until their wins exceed losses + OTLs.

Cheers, Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #128 on: 03 December 2017, 00:37:59 »
Getting wins now is better than trying to play catch up later.  Just ask last year's Bolts. The division isn't up for grabs,  but that 3rd division spot is.  Prior to the Christmas break, Montreal has a really good schedule with only one back to back set of games and that is goes right into the break itself.

They get St. Louis on Tuesday which is in a bit of a funk lately, 2 games against the Oilers, the Sens, the Devils, the 'Nucks, and 2 against the Flames.  8 games in 21 days.  That should provide enough down time to keep Price fresh and hopefully in good health.

Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, it's less sunny with a chance of hellfire and brimstone.  Fortunately for them, they left town for a road trip and won't have to worry about any boos or jeering for another 9 days.  I will say they pick up a win while they are in Vancouver.  Conversely, if they manage to continue their win-less streak through December 14th, when they play Buffalo, the other shoe drops and Hakstol gets canned.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 03 December 2017, 14:29:05 »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: 03 December 2017, 23:06:41 »

Does this mean that either Mrazek or Howard have played their last game for the Wings?  (You guys all know what I'm referring to...)

And how did I manage to forget about this tidbit...?

That game was in fact 22 years to the day after the Patrick Roy Incident which saw him play his last game for the Habs after giving up 9 goals against the Wings--perhaps the Habs' worst ever home loss.

Returning the favour at long last, hopefully the Habs have finally overcome the Curse of Roy and removed the stench left by Mario Tremblay.  (Though to be fair, this year's edition of the Wings isn't remotely comparable to what they were in the mid-'90s.)

cheers,

Gabe 

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #131 on: 06 December 2017, 10:13:03 »
Crap, I had a feeling it wasn't time to start planning the parade yet.

That marks the TENTH TIME SO FAR THIS SEASON that the Habs have given up goals less than a minute apart.  Unlike previous occurrences which saw them collapse, this time they fought back and made a game of it, but still lost.  (and Patrick Roy is off still snickering to himself in some corner somewhere.)

Price didn't look very sharp last night; I think they're pushing him too hard and fast since coming off IR (I was quite surprised he started both games of a B2B last week).

At least I can take some solace in the fact that Bobrovsky and Dubnyk didn't fare any better in their games.

Cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #132 on: 06 December 2017, 10:17:11 »
https://deadspin.com/john-gibsons-glove-save-was-so-good-it-fooled-whoever-1821044502

Save of the year so far. Great play by Vegas, but... man, that was witchcraft.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: 25 December 2017, 23:44:58 »
Welcome to the 2017-2018 winter break!  As a special treat to you the reader I'll spoil Star Wars for you first.  Han Solo is still dead and Jar Jar Binks isn't.  Should the Vancouver Canucks suffer from anymore injuries (more on that later) don't be surprised if he is signed to play first line center.  Anyhow on with this shenanigans.

Eastern Conference first!

Atlantic Division:

Tampa Bay Lightning- It's like this team is so good when it is is not injured.  It is so good it can afford to take on crappy defenseman (waves to Dan Girardi).  Buckle up Danny Boy while we put you on your custom Nikita Kucherov crotch rocket to glory.  The 2017-2018 Peter Budaj show has to this point been underwhelming.  If Vasilevskiy gets hurt though this awesome season could go up in smoke.

Toronto Maple Leafs- Despite a somewhat average performance in the last 10 games, Toronto finds themselves second in the Atlantic and 9 points back.  Unlikely to give the Bolts a serious challenge they are likely going to make a second play off in the year.  They still need a defenseman or two to make a solid run in the playoffs. Until then we will just have to enjoy the Bromance that is Roman Polak and Mike Babcock.  Or start some rumors (https://twitter.com/SNFaizalKhamisa/status/938110665717194752), Babs can take it.

Boston Bruins- Somewhat quietly, unless you are Hellbie's fantasy hockey opponent or the Washington Capitals, the Bruins are kick nass and taking names.   Recently the scoring has been spread around with both vets and young blood are getting the job done.  Things are going so well they even waived Matt Beleskey!

Montreal Canadiens-  This team is only going to go as far as Carey Price can drag them and he is having problem wearing his gear onto the ice.  Right now though they stand at least 7 points out of the final wild card spot.  Not impossible, but with no games in hand, there is no room for error.

Florida Panthers-  Vincent Trocheck, he's a guy that the Florida Panthers decided to protect and is doing well and still a Panther.  Jonathan Marchessault and Reilly Smith are two more guys used to be Florida Panthers and play for a first place team.  This team they play for is not the Florida Panthers.

Detroit Red Wings- Will the wonders of Little Caesar's never cease.  Cheap pizza and a new arena.  It's that new arena that is the single factor that keeps the Red Wings out of the Atlantic basement.  That and probably the awesome smell of crazy bread that is probably vented into the shunted into the arena to distract their opposition.

Ottawa Senators-  It seems trading Kyle Turris and in return receiving Matt Duchene, might not have been the best plan as the Sens and Duchene have been outright awful since.  Its not all bad  though Sens fans.  Eugene Melnyk is going to move the team to another city and some other city can be a sucker to Melnyk's brand of scum.  You can also go back to routing for the Leafs.  It's a good time to be a Leaf's fan!

Buffalo Sabres- The Jason Pominville great reunion tour lasted about 3 weeks and then fizzled.  Despite efforts to address the defense during the off season, none of it has panned out.  Thus the Sabres are where they have been the last several years, in the basement.  Okposo is under preforming and Moulson has been buried in the minors.  Evander Kane is bound to get moved at some point.   Hopefully the Sabres can make something out of that, but I'm not optimistic.

The Metropolitan Division

New Jersey Devils- Somehow it is December at the Devils have not collapsed yet.  The Life of Brian(s) is helping to make this possible.  Both Brian Gibbons and Brian Boyle have 10 goals a pop.  Corey Schneider is also pulling 92% save percentage again.  The Devils are also getting good rookie play from Butcher.  If the Devils are still in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline would be interesting to see what they do.  They pulled the trigger and traded for Sami Vatanen last month and I think long term that is more a win for the Devils than the Ducks.

Washington Capitals- Mostly on their strength at home and within the Eastern Conference the Caps have managed a better than expected first half.  That is all with losing Matt Niskanen and to a lesser extent T J Oshie.  I'd still pick them as the team most likely to fall in the standings between now and the playoffs down to a wild card slot due to the young defense.  If Vrana continues to produce though, anything is possible.

Columbus Bluejackets- This guy is the only guy in town that matters (https://twitter.com/ofcbobrovsky?lang=en) and also a UFA the year after next.  Don't worry everyone, Columbus won't pay him.

New York Rangers- After an awful start to the season the Rangers picked up their sorry butts and corpse hopping themselves back into a respectable team.  Then December happened and now you can flip a coin with almost equal results to see which Lundqvist shows up.  That's still better than any result that involves Ondrej Pavelec starting, ever.

New York Islanders- The Islanders are quite the surprise this year.  If they had a better goaltender they probably wouldn't be the 5th place team in the division.  Barzal, Lee, and Bailey are all having excellent seasons.  The only problem is that Tavares and Bailey are both going to be UFA after this season.  There are UFAs on defense that will also be up for a raise so this maybe the only solid season the Islanders have in awhile to put together a solid, if not deep, playoff run.

Carolina Hurricanes- Scott Darling became a starting goal tender and may have recently lost the starting job to the previous starting goal tender Cam Ward.  Cam Ward's save percentage this year is 91.1%.  That's better than Scott darling, just not good enough for anything else :(

Pittsburgh Penguins- 6th in the division isn't where anyone expected this team to be.  However, there top 6 forwards and bottom 6 are night and day.  Matt Murray isn't playing up to Matt Murry level and that combination doesn't bode well.  The majority of teams ahead of them right now have games in hand, which is never good.

Philadelphia Flyers- Saving their cross-state rivals from the basement are the bipolar Flyers.  Brian Elliot has done reasonably well for himself and the cybernetic implants installed over the off season have allowed him to press on while Michal Neuvirth, bent his Wookie (http://theswca.com/images-misc/RALPH4.html) and landed on IR again.  Dude can't catch a break.

Western Conference!

The Geocentric Central Division:

St. Louis Blues-  The Blues have cooled off a bit lately and that is in part to the injury to Jaden Schwartz.  Goal tending has been solid though and should keep them afloat.  Team offense is significantly top heavy with 46 of 113 goals from one line.  Brayden Schenn for MVP.

Nashville Predators-  David Poile keeps doing good things and traded for Kyle Turris.  Kevin Fiala is having a break through season and is tied for second in points total on the Preds.  Filip Forsberg continues to remind all Caps fans how many points Martin Erat didn't score.

Winnipeg Jets- Connor Hellebuyck and that offense just might get this team into the playoffs and it might be better than the wild card.  The might be an excellent achievement would it not mean having to play either Nashville and St. Louis in the first round.

Dallas Stars- Some nights are better than others, but the Stars are just as good (or bad) as the teams behind them in the standings.  There defense and tending is better than last year, but that doesn't guarantee a spot.

Chicago Blackhawks-  To this point it has been an off year for the Blackhawks.  The defense is getting old and diamonds in the rough aren't there to replace the salary cap casualties.  The good news for the Blackhawks is that they have games in hand against the majority of the conference.  There are only a point out of a wild card.  They are also only 2 points above last place in the division too.  That's pretty rough.

Minnesota Wild-  injuries, middling goal tending, and losses in the expansion draft have hit the Wild this season.  All that doesn't appear to improve anytime soon making the Wild the playoffs.

Colorado Avalanche-  Last place is bad, but the team is competitive right now.  They will likely fall out of the playoff picture, but if they .500 hockey the rest of the season after getting that silly haul for Matt Duchene I'd call that win win.

Pacific Division

Vegas Golden Knights- God loves Skee Ball and the Golden Knights.  I find that the only logical explanation for their success.  She also hates the Florida Panthers.

Los Angles Kings- The poor Kings can't get their due because the Knights are rebelling against the crown.  Most everyone of consequence is having a bounce back year and Jeff Carter is still out on LT IR.  The Kings even turned Darcy Kuemper into a quality back up.

San Jose Sharks- This team either needs to score more or grow more beards to clog up the neutral zone.

Anaheim Ducks- This team needs to stop getting hurt and fire Randy Carlyle.  The order in which they do it is irrelevant.

Calgary Flames- Mike Smith has played respectable, it's to bad the whole team can't consistently.  Jagr can't stay healthy.  That really isn't how I want to remember the last year of Jagr.

Edmonton Oilers- Now only 2 wins out of the last Wild Card.  Sekera is back and playing again so things are looking up for the Oilers.

Vancouver Canucks- What started well has plummeted back to earth due to injuries.  Brock Boeser has exploded this year and Bo Horvat was looking good until he was hurt.  Thomas Vanek is going to net them a pick at the trade deadline so all is well.

Arizona Coyotes- Clayton Keller is a stud, the rest of the roster needs a real kick in the tail to jump start things.  A change in venue would do well for some in that dressing room.  How about some place like, I don't know, Seattle.  It sure beats raising cattle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #134 on: 05 January 2018, 07:56:25 »
San Jose's Joe Thornton may want to finally give his beard a decent trim after this happened:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/night-nazem-kadri-ripped-off-joe-thorntons-beard/

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #135 on: 05 January 2018, 08:07:47 »
The Habs have not given their fans much to cheer about the past month, managing to totally fail to take advantage of a relatively soft December schedule and finagle their way OUT of a playoff spot.  With the teams they're supposed to be chasing (Bruins, Leafs) surging during that same time, this season is basically done.

But last night, they went the distance with the league-leading Bolts and won it in the shootout, because Carey Price decided he was going to channel his inner Dominik Hasek in OT:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-stars-shine-brightest-thrilling-win-lightning/

Look for the third video on the page.

cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #136 on: 05 January 2018, 08:23:17 »
San Jose's Joe Thornton may want to finally give his beard a decent trim after this happened:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/night-nazem-kadri-ripped-off-joe-thorntons-beard/

cheers,

Gabe

Ow.

On the other hand, if I'm Kadri I'm hoping Thornton retires this offseason so I don't have to face him again next year. You know, just in case he has a memory as long as his beard.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 10 January 2018, 00:57:46 »
College football season is over, it is between playoff weekends in the NFL, and baseball season is still 3 months away.  So what does the NHL do?  Give half the league a bye week all at the same time ???  I'm not opposed to the bye week.  I think it is a great idea, just schedule them off incrementally not all at the same time.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #138 on: 10 January 2018, 11:19:13 »
College football season is over, it is between playoff weekends in the NFL, and baseball season is still 3 months away.  So what does the NHL do?  Give half the league a bye week all at the same time ???  I'm not opposed to the bye week.  I think it is a great idea, just schedule them off incrementally not all at the same time.

Yeah, not good planning on their part, for sure. (It murders my fantasy team in the face, too. This is gonna just be a wash of a week for me)

+Crow T. Robot+

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #139 on: 10 January 2018, 22:10:17 »
Do them all at the same time. What was the percentage of teams winning while coming off of a bye week? 15% and from what I remember, most of them were teams playing other teams coming off the bye week. I think there was one legitimate winner.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #140 on: 16 January 2018, 10:36:37 »
Isles/Habs last night was one of the craziest games I think I've watched in at least a couple of years. Greiss let in four, but he was by far the best player on the ice for either team- he got shelled all night and stood up to some really great chances by Montreal. This one had it all- nine goals, lots of hits, some great goaltending, some very not-great goaltending (Price was very much off his game last night)... you couldn't ask for a more entertaining game.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 17 January 2018, 01:46:10 »
Do them all at the same time. What was the percentage of teams winning while coming off of a bye week? 15% and from what I remember, most of them were teams playing other teams coming off the bye week. I think there was one legitimate winner.
You could still do it and not have the league off at one time.  My impression is they were going to spread around the bye weeks to the different teams over a longer span.  These breaks all happening right before the All Star Break isn't something I can say I'm really fond of.  I can't recall if I discovered this last year and simply was just reminded of it again today, but the bye week is simply that.  There is little to no practice that happens during that bye week until roughly 36 hours before the next scheduled game.  That is apparently league mandated or negotiated.

Isles/Habs last night was one of the craziest games I think I've watched in at least a couple of years. Greiss let in four, but he was by far the best player on the ice for either team- he got shelled all night and stood up to some really great chances by Montreal. This one had it all- nine goals, lots of hits, some great goaltending, some very not-great goaltending (Price was very much off his game last night)... you couldn't ask for a more entertaining game.

It is times like this I miss having cable and watching games.  I know I could get Center Ice, however, and until the archaic concept of blackout rules no longer exist it is something I refuse to shell out the money for.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #142 on: 17 January 2018, 04:08:11 »
some very not-great goaltending (Price was very much off his game last night)... you couldn't ask for a more entertaining game.

He hasn't been on his game most of the season.  Yes, he's turned in a couple of master classes, but they've been few and far between.
I would say his glory days are over and we won't see the form of 2014-2015 again from him.  (Great job that they locked him up for 8 years for the most money ever thrown at a goalie, eh?)  Very sad to see him decline like that.

I haven't looked at the shot charts for that game yet, but I'd bet anything most of the Habs' shots came from the perimeter.  If you can't win a game on 50+ shots then either the goalie is awesome, or most shots just aren't dangerous.

At this point, the Habs' season is mathematically done.  I'm actually one of those on the tank and rebuild bandwagon by now, but the organization is simply too proud to do it.  And it's not a guaranteed strategy--it has worked for a number of teams (Chicago, Pittsburgh, maybe Toronto), but not for Edmonton.

cheers,

Gabe

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #143 on: 20 January 2018, 22:51:31 »
Its Hockey day in Minnesota today.  I didn't watch too much (because it was too nice to be inside watching TV).  However I am watching the Wild game and as of the second intermission it is now 3-1 and all 3 of the Wilds goals have been scored by defensemen.  How odd is that?

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 21 January 2018, 02:47:44 »
Its Hockey day in Minnesota today.  I didn't watch too much (because it was too nice to be inside watching TV).  However I am watching the Wild game and as of the second intermission it is now 3-1 and all 3 of the Wilds goals have been scored by defensemen.  How odd is that?

I remember a time when that was quite common for the Caps.  So common that we had at least 3 defenseman with 20 goals in a season.  It certainly isn't something that is seen all that often anymore.  I appreciate that it did.  The Wild's victory was the only thing that went right for my fantasy team today.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #145 on: 10 February 2018, 00:02:19 »
So if you are all like me recently, you haven't been able to indulge and watch much, if any games then I offer you the highlights of the offensive explosion between the Islanders and Red Wings tonight.  By the time you are done you will probably be as depressed as I am that Matt Barzal isn't on your favorite team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/video/recap-det-6-nyi-7-042140560.html

And as if I needed a another reason to be a) reminded that NHL players aren't at the Olympics I submit to you exhibit b) Martin Erat.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #146 on: 10 February 2018, 17:07:31 »
Looks like the Rangers are on sell mode. Big discussion at work was if the Wild should go into sell mode as well.  Problem is that assets that most teams would want are the young core of 4 that we should probably keep if we want to be have a chance in 1-2 years.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #147 on: 10 February 2018, 17:27:16 »
So if you are all like me recently, you haven't been able to indulge and watch much, if any games then I offer you the highlights of the offensive explosion between the Islanders and Red Wings tonight.  By the time you are done you will probably be as depressed as I am that Matt Barzal isn't on your favorite team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/video/recap-det-6-nyi-7-042140560.html

And as if I needed a another reason to be a) reminded that NHL players aren't at the Olympics I submit to you exhibit b) Martin Erat.

Okay, I am duly impressed.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #148 on: 23 February 2018, 22:07:35 »
All work and no watch time makes for a busy deadline.  But before we get to the early deals congrats to the USA Women's team on winning the gold!

The early dealings today are as follows:

Michael Grabner to the NJ Devils marking the first trade in 35 years.  Last time it happened, the Devils were in Colorado.

Derek Brassard to the Pens.  Back the other way to the Sens go Ian Cole, goalie prospect Filip Gustavsson, and a 2018 first round pick.

Ryan Reeves was reported to be headed to Vegas for a draft pick.  Because GM GM likes grit and Donald Brashear probably told him he likes retirement.

*Almost forgot, congrats are in order for Germany as well in making it to the gold medal game.  While I'd say the odds are slim that they win, they have had an excellent run.  FYI, the Germans are coached by Marco Sturm of Bruins, Sharks, and minor Caps fame.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2018, 22:11:36 by Firesprocket »

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #149 on: 23 February 2018, 22:31:34 »
The Wild have managed to claw themselves up to #3 spot in the Central. not a lot of points separate them and the 4 next teams though. At least this year we wont have to worry about the Blackhawks exiting us in the first round.