Author Topic: Wolverines? Where are they now?  (Read 22423 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Wolverines? Where are they now?
« Reply #60 on: 20 August 2017, 12:55:40 »
There's a passage at the end of the book where the author pretty bluntly says that it's the actual in universe history.

Which is pretty much meaningless because the line developer and writers can decide at any time to change it.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #61 on: 20 August 2017, 14:35:01 »
The true fate of the Wolverines will probably never be known. Its too good of a plot hook to do so.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #62 on: 20 August 2017, 18:50:16 »
A book itself which may simply be a copy of in universe Society propaganda rather than in universe history.

If you're talking about "Betrayal of Ideals", it's a novel. Novels are always canon. In fact, they pretty much trump everything else. (Not saying they can't be tweaked or overwritten by something else, just look at the epilogue of "Surrender Your Dreams". But on the while novels are considered primary sources with sourcebooks just behind them.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #63 on: 20 August 2017, 20:16:20 »
So without reading the entire thread, has anybody suggested that the whole wolverine section in the Blake Documents was actually falsified by Victoria Pardeu (the rogue head of ROM whose papers it was supposed to be from) as a way of provoking the clans to fully commit to the war against the Word of Blake?

Something like a tragic hero, started out loyal to the cause of Blake but became disillusioned as the situation went further and further out of control. In too deep to act directly, she instead leaves a tidbit that might provoke the Ghost Bears to war.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #64 on: 20 August 2017, 22:29:47 »
The "Wolverine Journals" are definite falsehoods.  There's no mention of the battle at Barbados, but instead a description of a running naval battle through the Kerensky Cluster.  Also, the Journal claims that a scout group encountered a Spanish speaking colony world, reported back to the fleet, went out for another look, and never returned.  This strongly implies that the scouts encountered Nueva Castille and became the Umayyads upon going back for a second look.  The thing is, the Wolverines backtracked along the Exodus Road, which is roughly 25 jumps from Nueva Castille.  Chronology does not support that the Wolverine fleet sat around for a couple of years while the scouts ranged out that far, came back, and then ranged out again.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #65 on: 20 August 2017, 23:57:30 »
Something like a tragic hero, started out loyal to the cause of Blake but became disillusioned as the situation went further and further out of control. In too deep to act directly, she instead leaves a tidbit that might provoke the Ghost Bears to war.

That's one implication.

The other is that Uncle Chandy or Devlin Stone (or their agents) added to or modified Parrdeau's journal to provoke the Clans into going to war against the Blakists.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #66 on: 21 August 2017, 06:10:45 »
At the end of the novel, the Explorer Corps. found the shrine / graves of the Khan and Sa-Khan with cut flowers on the graves estimated to be months old. Someone visits the site. Someone pays respects on a regular basis. I do not think we have heard the end of the 331st.
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #67 on: 21 August 2017, 06:24:30 »
'Cept Sarah McEvedy isn't planted there.  Trish Ebon's detachment picked her up off Barbados after Nicky left her there with the corpses of her people.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #68 on: 21 August 2017, 07:01:02 »
'Cept Sarah McEvedy isn't planted there.  Trish Ebon's detachment picked her up off Barbados after Nicky left her there with the corpses of her people.

It is never said who the woman is Trish picks up. It is implied that Nick left her as he is hearing her voice as he stands over the graves.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 21 August 2017, 08:08:18 »
Yeah, nick had both buried there.   And I thought the grave site was discovered before the clan invasion?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #70 on: 21 August 2017, 08:32:00 »
Yeah, nick had both buried there.   And I thought the grave site was discovered before the clan invasion?

No. BoL says that when Trish is there, there is no body under Sarah's tombstone.

In 3041 when C* finds it, it says two graves. Whether Sarah is buried there later or C* didn't look that close is up for debate.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 08:37:34 by Robroy »

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 21 August 2017, 08:50:32 »
No. BoL says that when Trish is there, there is no body under Sarah's tombstone.

In 3041 when C* finds it, it says two graves. Whether Sarah is buried there later or C* didn't look that close is up for debate.

Just reread the last two parts.   You're right.  It says the earth in front of Sarah's stone was undisturbed when nick visited.  I must have misunderstood it when I first read it.

When did Trish come back though?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #72 on: 21 August 2017, 10:06:09 »
Trish's scout fleet came back after recharging - about a week after the Battle of Barbados, minimum.  Long enough that the Grand Council fleet had skedaddled back to the Kerensky cluster.  The woman has severe skin damage - which to me indicates it's McEvedy - last seen getting treatment for serious radiation burns in secret aboard Nicky's flagship. 

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 21 August 2017, 10:21:28 »
Trish's scout fleet came back after recharging - about a week after the Battle of Barbados, minimum.  Long enough that the Grand Council fleet had skedaddled back to the Kerensky cluster.  The woman has severe skin damage - which to me indicates it's McEvedy - last seen getting treatment for serious radiation burns in secret aboard Nicky's flagship.

Where did that happen though?  The book goes right from nick standing over the two tombstones to comstar finding the site 217 years later.   I bought an early release copy at a previous gencon(last year?) but only recently got around to reading it.  Did the final release add a chapter?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #74 on: 21 August 2017, 10:38:48 »
In the serialized BattleCorps version, it is on p. 69 of "Asunder" in the paragraph starting with "A hand touched her shoulder,...". The scene is dated August 20, 2824.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 11:31:15 by Mendrugo »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 21 August 2017, 11:51:03 »
In the serialized BattleCorps version, it is on p. 69 of "Asunder" in the paragraph starting with "A hand touched her shoulder,...". The scene is dated August 20, 2824.

Ah there we go.  In my copy, the last chapter before the comstar epilogue is July 11th 2824.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #76 on: 22 August 2017, 03:46:29 »
That's interesting.  I knew the published version added the new epilogue chapter.  I hadn't realized it purged some of the serialized BattleCorps content.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 22 August 2017, 15:43:17 »
Honestly I believe Uncle Chandy put the Wolverine Documents out there to anger the Clans into action. They would have probably stayed out of the Jihad otherwise and the coalition needed there mechs and warships to be able to fight the WoB.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 22 August 2017, 18:16:50 »
Of course, another option was that it was to be sued by the WoB if they had joined the Star League, in order to get the Clans to attack.

WoB: "Now that we've joined the Star League, we want to do Bulldog 2.0 and destroy the rest of the Clans."
IS: "Eh. they're kind of peaceful right now, we don't want to provoke them while we're rebuilding."
WoB: "Oh sure. No Problem."

And then a year later the Ghost Bears go berserk because a document has leaked linking the Wolverines to Terra...

WoB: "So about what we were saying a year ago..."

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #79 on: 23 August 2017, 14:23:59 »
Honestly I believe Uncle Chandy put the Wolverine Documents out there to anger the Clans into action. They would have probably stayed out of the Jihad otherwise and the coalition needed there mechs and warships to be able to fight the WoB.

They'd have been dragged in regardless.
The Blake Documents are dated around 3076.  The Scourging of Tamar had already taken place.

Nor did the WOB need an excuse to fight the Clans.

It seems likely that the BD docs are false though. No idea who would have written it or why.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 23 August 2017, 17:24:41 »
They'd have been dragged in regardless.
The Blake Documents are dated around 3076.  The Scourging of Tamar had already taken place.

Nor did the WOB need an excuse to fight the Clans.

It seems likely that the BD docs are false though. No idea who would have written it or why.

They were a garuntee to get ALL the Clans involved. Tamar could be seen as a Wolf problem. The Inner Sphere needed all the Clans involved to garuntee victory.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 24 August 2017, 03:05:20 »
The ZW is first named on a illustration which lists a bunch of warships with went on the Exodus - I forget which book, one of the first FanPro ones. FM: Updates perhaps?  The artists wanted a list of classes and ship names so we provided him with it :) Several writers have ships named after them (including me).
Its in FM:Updates p9.

Chris W
Awesome bit of trivia there!  ;D

Though I can't help but notice the Morello is listed as a Liberator-class vessel... a design that wasn't introduced for another 240 years, by rebuilding the mothballed remains of the six Avatar-class cruisers that had joined the Exodus.

Also, the Zughoffer Weir is spelled as Zughoffer Wier in the listing in that image.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 24 August 2017, 03:30:08 »
As far as genetic testing is concerned, after over 200 years I reckon it would be impossible to identify anyone, anywhere as a descendant of a small group of Wolverine survivors out of the entire Wolverine population:
To begin with, the Clans don't know who survived so they don't know who they're looking for. Except for the Warriors from the breeding program, the Wolverine members would be random guys, i.e. a very heterogenic group, from the Exodus whose genetic code would presumably not even be on file anywhere. And even if you have the entire Wolverine population's genetic codes stored, you're checking for descendants two centuries down the line, at least five generations. Even if there somehow are unique Wolverine genetic markers, they will not be identifyable anymore by this time. Keep in mind the human DNA is over 95% identical with chimpanzee DNA, and you'll see how small the differences between individual humans are in a potential pool of billions of individuals.

A book itself which may simply be a copy of in universe Society propaganda rather than in universe history.
No. As per the rules on Canon as laid out by then-LD Herb Beas, and by the description of the concept of "novel fiction" in the 25 Years of Art and Fiction tome, Betrayal of Ideals is the absolute straight truth of what happened, period. You can take the novel at face value.
And if that wasn't enough, two Line Developers have since explicitly confirmed that, as described in Betrayal of Ideals, Trish Ebon's group became the Minnesota Tribe. That much is undisputable canon.

That's interesting.  I knew the published version added the new epilogue chapter.  I hadn't realized it purged some of the serialized BattleCorps content.
There are two editions of the novel, the earlier BattleCorps serial and the print edition. The former has additional appendices while the latter has an additional prologue and epilogue. Both editions are fully canonical. There is an explicit ruling that as far as BattleTech canon is concerned, an omission does not equal a de-canonisation so the fact that all the epilogue scenes were published in the BattleCorps edition is enough for them to be canon, even when they weren't reproduced in print.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #83 on: 24 August 2017, 07:37:15 »
Though I can't help but notice the Morello is listed as a Liberator-class vessel... a design that wasn't introduced for another 240 years, by rebuilding the mothballed remains of the six Avatar-class cruisers that had joined the Exodus.

Yup, its a difficult one to reconcile. Some have suggested its evidence of an earlier Liberator class.

Chris W

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #84 on: 24 August 2017, 10:21:54 »
As far as genetic testing is concerned, after over 200 years I reckon it would be impossible to identify anyone, anywhere as a descendant of a small group of Wolverine survivors out of the entire Wolverine population...
And even if you have the entire Wolverine population's genetic codes stored, you're checking for descendants two centuries down the line, at least five generations.

I dunno about that.  There are genetic tests today that can identify fifth cousins, i.e., whether two people share the same great-great-great-grandparent five generations back.

Even if there somehow are unique Wolverine genetic markers, they will not be identifyable anymore by this time. Keep in mind the human DNA is over 95% identical with chimpanzee DNA, and you'll see how small the differences between individual humans are in a potential pool of billions of individuals.

There are genetic markers like mitochondrial DNA and the Y chromosome that naturally remain unchanged for tens of thousands (Y chromosome) to hundreds of thousands (mitochondrial DNA) of years.  They are directly inherited from the mother or father and only change through rare mutation.

I would imagine that once the Clans started tinkering in eugenics, they introduced changes in mitochondrial DNA.  Mitochondria are the power plants of cells and making them more productive and efficient would boost the strength and endurance of Clan warrior phenotypes across the board.

If the Clans were messing with mitochondrial DNA before the Wolverine Annihilation, then any descendants of those Wolverine warriors would certainly bear those mitrochondrial DNA markers unchanged a couple or few centuries later.

There may be other genetic fingerprints from the Clan eugenics program.  For example, the absence of certain genes would be just as big a clue as the presence of certain genes.  The Clans probably eliminated the genes for most common human genetic diseases from their warrior genepools.   If the Clans started doing that before the Wolverine annihilation, the absence or an unnaturally low prevalence of those genes in a population would be a strong indicator that the population is descended from the Clan warrior caste.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 24 August 2017, 10:57:56 »
Not convinced.
When the Wolverines bit the dust, they were second- or at most, third-generation Clanners; not to mention the civilian castes who would have outnumbered the warriors by orders of magnitude and may have included people who personally had been on the Exodus. I don't know when the eugenics program really took off, but for all we know the Clan concept was only introduced in 2807 - and I highly doubt vat breeding was already a working process by then. Which is to say, genetically engineered (or even "trueborn") people couldn't be more than between 14 and 17 years old, and there may not have been any at all yet.

I simply don't see what "Wolverine genes" the Clans may be testing for. These Wolverines had nothing in common genetically.
The Clans simply wouldn't know what to look for, unless you want to assume the complete genome of every last Wolverine citizen had been saved in some database.

(And yes, I'm aware of Dr. Vaughn who inserted "Wolverine genes" into two generations of Ghost Bears... but that's an entirely different story, given the short timeframe, lab conditions, and Clan mindset.)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 24 August 2017, 12:15:34 »
It's also possible the Wolverines that made it to Nuevo Castille had very few actual Warriors in the group and whatever people were tested were the descendants of civilians and not the Warrior Caste. It's likely they had DNA from the Warriors and not the civilians.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: 24 August 2017, 13:59:49 »
I simply don't see what "Wolverine genes" the Clans may be testing for. These Wolverines had nothing in common genetically.
The Clans simply wouldn't know what to look for, unless you want to assume the complete genome of every last Wolverine citizen had been saved in some database.

(And yes, I'm aware of Dr. Vaughn who inserted "Wolverine genes" into two generations of Ghost Bears... but that's an entirely different story, given the short timeframe, lab conditions, and Clan mindset.)

Trouble is, the Clans ARE doing it...and they DID find Wolverine DNA with the Hallis family.  SO whatever they are looking for obviously is there.

For them anyway.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 24 August 2017, 14:08:10 »
No. As per the rules on Canon as laid out by then-LD Herb Beas, and by the description of the concept of "novel fiction" in the 25 Years of Art and Fiction tome, Betrayal of Ideals is the absolute straight truth of what happened, period. You can take the novel at face value.
And if that wasn't enough, two Line Developers have since explicitly confirmed that, as described in Betrayal of Ideals, Trish Ebon's group became the Minnesota Tribe. That much is undisputable canon.

And normally I'd agree. But there is also a canonical reference to the Societys propaganda. They have also been known to change their minds before. But most importantly, TPTB are still obfuscating on the "true" history and story and the WoR entry gives them an out as to where and how BoI is canonical.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 24 August 2017, 14:18:51 »
And normally I'd agree. But there is also a canonical reference to the Societys propaganda. They have also been known to change their minds before. But most importantly, TPTB are still obfuscating on the "true" history and story and the WoR entry gives them an out as to where and how BoI is canonical.
Beg to differ:
We don't positively know what exactly the so-called "Society Propaganda" entails.
The fake diaries which were apparently written by someone with knowlege of the actual truth in a deliberate attempt to mislead canonically exist as a rumor of dubious veracity.
We, the fans and readers, know what truly happened.
TPTB are not obfuscating this part of the Wolverine history at all, nor has anyone ever cast any doubt on the canonicity of BoI. Quite to the contrary, Randall Bills and Ray Arrastia have repeatedly and explicitly stated that BoI narrates how the Minnesota Tribe came to be.

What we don't know is how the story continued after the Minnesota Tribe's trail was lost, I grant you that. We also don't know (but have strong evidence) if Wolverine survivors made contact with ComStar, or (weaker evidence) if Wolverine survivors became the Umayyads. Mendrugo explained that pretty well upthread.

The part I fail to understand is why some people might think BoI might be anything but fully canon?