Author Topic: Fate of the Haseks  (Read 2264 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Fate of the Haseks
« on: 31 August 2017, 16:52:08 »
While looking up some things to fill in the back history for a merc family I came across the involvement of the Capellan Confederation with the Varneys after they were removed as the March Lords of the Capellan March.  They were sponsored by the Cappies for a number of generations all in efforts to destabilized the neighbors in the best feudal fashion.  It actually looked and read like the European politics of Middle Ages/Renaissance you can find in history books though the family ended up without issue in the main branch though it does leave cadet branches.

We know from FM3145 that Daoshen managed to capture New Syrtis in his offensive and did so in a manner that Amanda Hasek, then ruler of the Capellan March was unable or unwilling to flee.  This removed the current holder of the title and posterior on the throne.  Presumed heir and next lord is her son Alexander who is at the head of a rogue army on that border.  But if Amanda was unable to escape off planet . . . what about any other heirs to the Hasek position, the Death Commandos seized the Hasek palace after all?  Are there younger siblings of Alexander running around on the planet?  What about a daughter of Amanda or Alexander who Daoshen would have in his possession?

Since we do not have any solid material about what is happening . . . Daoshen could put a Hasek puppet on that throne which could throw all sorts of hitches into the feudal oaths upon which the Inner Sphere is built- you face a situation like many we have seen in GoT.  Would the ruler on New Syrtis, a Hasek, be able to command the loyalty of retainers?  Especially in such a fluid situation . . . where the Suns future looks grim . . . where the person with the most legitimate claim was never recognized and does not sit on the throne?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MarauderD

• Major
Re: Fate of the Haseks
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2017, 17:18:44 »
Good question re: the Haseks.

From TRO 3150 snippets, I believe the reconquista of New Syrtis is over. Julian Davion wunderkind genius swooped in and took it back. I don't think we know about the Haseks. Personally, I hope Daoshen got really bloodthirsty and beheaded them all. They've been trouble since 3015, with one notable exception. I'd say its high time for a new capitol and new March lord family.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2017, 19:32:45 »
Alexander has a younger sister named Kym who was the FedSuns ambassador to the Republic in the early 3130s but I can't recall what her deal is these days.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2017, 19:51:57 »
I suspect the extended Hasek family is big enough to be nigh-unkillable.  For example, TRO 3145FS also mentions Leftenant Colonel Damon Hasek-Greer, a cousin of the ruling line who's leading a mixed battalion in the rump of worlds cut off by the New Syrtis thrust.  I'm sure there's plenty of other Hasek cousins out there.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2017, 23:29:30 »
Yes, my point though was that if Daoshen had the capital and a valid claimant to the throne it SHOULD throw a feudal society with those links into chaos.  For one, as far as we know no one has been recognized by the First Prince as the new March Lord.  Shows like the Tudors, Game of Thrones, White Princess and others have demonstrated the politics of having a government based on family/blood ties.  For instance in Tudors Henry was always careful about the placement and movement of his daughters Mary & Elizabeth depending on what the political winds were at the time, in particular keeping Mary away from her mother even though Catherine was dying b/c the would be a gathering of political power that his opponents could use to rally a force against him.  While it was historical fiction and sensationalized, it IMO accurately reflected the maneuvering and precautions of the time to keep any potential rival from being backed with military power.

If Daoshen holds most of the Hasek House, then he can find someone to take the throne as his vassal . . . which gets to be a complication.

As far as Julian retaking New Syrtis, I thought a lot of the FS consensus was that he would not have the forces to keep whatever he might take in the moment.  But I think he would need to do something about the Hasek heirs . . . and now that I think of it, the Sandovalls though at least they are in a bit better shape.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Krimsonholt

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2017, 12:09:37 »
I could not see the Haseks or the cappelan march ever joining the the Cappelan confederation.
I could see maybe the Cappelans aiding a rump state being formed from dissatisfied Cappelan march nobles, with or without the Haseks.
Pardon me if I hit a wrong button or three while trying to modify this comment.
It has been awhile since I last posted.
If Daoshen does succeed in turning a Hasek (by whatever means) it could lead to some interesting scenarios and backstory for the merc unit.
From objective raids, guarding the nobles, to how the merc unit formed and acquired members/equipment.

« Last Edit: 07 September 2017, 12:22:56 by Krimsonholt »
Battletech fan since 1993.
As for who caused the blackout,  I think it was Kitsune Kurita with a an actuator wrench in the library.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2017, 13:25:14 »
The same could have been said of the Anduriens, yet they found a way to join that partnership . . . its happened in history when noble lines have been failing or their heirs fall into the hands of others.  Some vassals of the Haseks will find it more expedient to control the heir as regent and create a client state of the Cappies or even become a large part of the Confederation- especially if without the HPGs providing proper news they hear the FedSuns is collapsing under the attacks of the Cappies & Dracs.  For a more modern example, think Vichy France- iirc most of the citizens hated the Vichy government but it still persisted b/c they controlled what level of powers remained and were given support by the Reich.

We said the same thing about the St Ives Compact never returning to the Confed, but they did and the nobles were mostly left in place though with more restrictions on their action than they used to . . . and might have had to give the Celestial Throne a hostage, which was a standard practice of feudalism and was originally why Morgan was on New Avalon.

It could be a interesting campaign or subcampaign as part of Julian's push to restore the FedSuns- the War of Hasek Succession.  Alexander with a army fighting a Cappie backed heir who is controlled by a regent with the occasional FedSuns or CapCon regular forces occasionally making a appearance before moving somewhere else in the larger war.
Colt Ward

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2017, 15:55:42 »
Rebellion should have happened a LONG time ago in the FedSuns. The idea that 2 hereditary Dukes would have complete control of 66% of the military is ridiculous. The nobility should have started killing each other long ago.

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2017, 16:38:59 »
In TRO:3150, on p. 26, it states New Syrtis was retaken by Julian in 3147.  On p. 68 there is a reference to a campaign by the 5th Crucis Lancers to reclaim New Syrtis from 3147-3148. 

Strictly speaking though that does not give us information about how things stand in 3150.  New Syrtis fell to the Capellans in 3145, retaken by Julian in 3147/3148.  For all we know, it could have fallen to the Capellans again by 3150 if Julian turned around to face the Draconis Combine.  We simply don't have enough information to conclude anything.

However we also have:

By that logic, every teaser any writer, developer, or artist has dropped qualifies. Which means we've collectively broken our NDAs more than half-a-million times....  ;) If we were that strict about letting anything out, you guys would never have anything to discuss. (And would have never had an inkling about the Wars of Reaving project...)

FWIW, the 3150 gov't-in-exile comment was regarding June. And I did say in a discussion of CO that the short story originally planned (actually, a string of stories, so more like a novella) was about Julian and the retaking (and subsequent loss) of New Syrtis. Since it's been pulled, there are plans to get it published in its entirety as an E-pub novella.

This seems to suggest Julian retook New Syrtis, and then lost it again.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2017, 21:29:37 »

This seems to suggest Julian retook New Syrtis, and then lost it again.

If that's the case, he's certainly following in Victor's footsteps.  :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2017, 21:54:33 »
Problem is he does not have the forces or the logistical tail after crossing back into the FS to hold on to anything on the Capellan border.  So while he could do a heavy raid against New Syrtis- maybe try to recapture some of the political strength lost with the March capital- he will not be able to hold it without allowing the Cappies to mass.  If they mass they should be able to overwhelm anything he has in defense, and as far as we know the thing that is keeping Julian's two or so regiments alive is their strategic mobility.  From suggestions, Julian might be running a Sherman-esque campaign along the Capellan border.
Colt Ward

Register