Author Topic: MegaMek Empire Building Game  (Read 1861 times)

Kristan Dagley

• Private
MegaMek Empire Building Game
« on: 01 September 2017, 10:25:01 »
Wow. Back in November of 2015 (Was it really that long ago?) I posted an alpha version of a template for a rule set and series of spreadsheet files for a 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) empire building campaign utilizing MegaMek HQ for some of the record keeping.

It was to be something similar to the old Neveron BattleTech style game or if you are unfamiliar with that somewhat like the Space Empires or Total War series of games with movement on a main campaign map (spreadsheet) leading into smaller tactical battles between player controlled units (MegaMek).

I didn’t get a whole lot of feedback at the time but I did realise the alpha was too in-depth and required both a lot of time for progression and a lot of commitment on behalf of players. The original plan was to include resource collection, a research tree and city/structure building among other features.

I have returned to this original concept and “cut out the fat” as it was to present a much streamlined version for anyone who would like to take part. I need at least 3 players to kick it off I image, but anyone can join in at any time. Just PM me with a message titled: “MegaMek 4X”.

The basic idea is each player would receive two files, a spreadsheet document and a MegaMek HQ campaign file from the GM (me) along with 100,000,000 C-Bills game currency to start their empire off.

The spreadsheet contains an empire overview, diplomacy tab (you can send messages to other empires you meet), faction relations tab, strategic map, unit counters for the strategic map, strategic map legend and rules tab, and lastly tabs for MegaMek HQ/MegaMek rules and additional rules for this empire 4x game mode.

While wars are fought on MegaMek at the tactical level, utilizing whatever units you wish to purchase from any time period (except no space battles or WarShips), the strategic map would be dominated by controlling territory for points of importance such as deployment zones: ‘Mech Factories, Airports, Spaceports, etc. or for population which is where you generate your income from through tax revenue. Each square on the strategic map will have a number assigned to it based on how many taxable persons live in that block of territory. (Those numbers will remain static.)

In MegaMek HQ you would take charge of your forces, buying, selling, repairing and rearming units as necessary as well as hiring personnel and levelling them up as the days and months progress. Each “turn” on the Strategic map would take “7 days” in the MegaMek HQ files allowing for some repair time in between battles. Players would not be allowed to use any of the GM functions in MegaMek HQ (which would be cheating and yes logs would be checked regularly) and the GM’s influence would be simply updating players bank accounts, reporting on and setting up any pending battles (which would be double blind) in the “briefing room” tab of MegaMek HQ that players would then have to contact each other over to resolve, and updating your strategic map as you uncover more terrain or move units.

Cheaters would not be tolerated and would be heavily fined in game so don't waste my time. I would keep logs of each player’s empire each turn and can easily compare them.

The game would be played by emailing (or over Google Drive) the game master on perhaps a weekly basis (how long I envision each turn will last) and require perhaps one or two MegaMek matches against another person at most a week during times when your empire is in conflict. Otherwise you could put as much detail into your empire as you feel you have time for but that isn't necessary: Pilot names, ranks, unit camo schemes, etc. I would like to make it accessible time wise to as many people as possible by requiring only little amounts of effort at any given time.

Some screenshots and basic rules to follow:
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 21:23:50 by Kristan Dagley »

Kristan Dagley

• Private
Re: MegaMek Empire Building Campaign
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2017, 10:26:07 »
More screenshots.

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2017, 10:26:51 »
More screenshots.

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2017, 10:27:40 »
More screenshots.

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2017, 10:28:17 »
Last one for now.

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2017, 21:00:29 »
So far I have two people signing up.  :)

Register