Author Topic: What's your favourite hover tank up to and including 3060?  (Read 7668 times)

Martius

• Captain
Re: What's your favourite hover tank up to and including 3060?
« Reply #30 on: 13 September 2017, 10:00:30 »
J. Edgar and Gladius.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #31 on: 13 September 2017, 11:02:21 »
Drillson, Maxim and, Pegasus.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: 13 September 2017, 12:09:20 »
I just love the fact the Gladius looks like a battering ram.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #33 on: 13 September 2017, 14:11:56 »
For me it's the Saracen,  great mix of fire power, speed,and armor.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #34 on: 13 September 2017, 15:05:32 »
I'm really surprised nobody considers the lowly Hover APC Lance of Awesomeness!

For the total BV2 of: 533, you'd get a 4/5 unit.

One gets a Sensor ( 30 remotes ), an LRM-5 and a pair of SRM-2 armed APCs WITH Infantry, Foot Platoon of Ballistic Rifle! ( adding 81 extra ).

IF I wanted to harass you, I'd take these along, in groups of three! And then use my Infantry as spotters in Squad form...

TT

Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

jbaird1

• Private
« Reply #35 on: 13 September 2017, 15:49:19 »
Drillson.  I have two lances of these.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #36 on: 13 September 2017, 17:49:31 »
The Maxim (I). Twelve tons of infantry/battlesuit delivery, plus TAG backed up by twin ER mediums and a Streak-6. It's like the Swiss Army knife of hovertanks, it has tools for making every kind of unit go away. And yes, I consider TAG to be the "main gun": when you have sufficient Arrow-IV support, TAG is the deadliest weapon the battlefield.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Requiemking

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 13 September 2017, 21:35:19 »
Given the option, I would use the Kanga. Who doesn't like a jumping hovertank? If not, then the Lightning is more than serviceable, especially if it is the Royal variant.....
Mist Match

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #38 on: 14 September 2017, 00:05:44 »
Regulator.

Outside of the Regulator though I've always liked the Gladius.   I really don't like most of the Clan hover tanks.  So if I vote for anything as a favorite it would be a Clan Bandit.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #39 on: 14 September 2017, 04:13:18 »
If I'm going with favorite, I have to say Saladin (maybe Savannah Master). They're fun!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #40 on: 14 September 2017, 10:24:53 »
The Maxim (I). Twelve tons of infantry/battlesuit delivery, plus TAG backed up by twin ER mediums and a Streak-6. It's like the Swiss Army knife of hovertanks, it has tools for making every kind of unit go away. And yes, I consider TAG to be the "main gun": when you have sufficient Arrow-IV support, TAG is the deadliest weapon the battlefield.

This can also be fun with Halburk's loaded with SG LRMS :-)
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #41 on: 19 September 2017, 13:15:25 »
The Drillson has always been my favorite.  :)
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #42 on: 27 September 2017, 18:52:29 »
I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the star leauge Zephyr. Great turreted firepower, electronic warfare, reasonably tough and fast

For the clans i prefer the svandovit. Sure the armor is crap, but you can haul a battle armor point and unleash general havoc if you get creative with your mssiles
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 28 September 2017, 03:46:05 »
In my opinion, there are quite a lot of well designed IS hover tanks.  These are a few of my favourites in no particular order.

Blizzard:  It's not flashy, but it is a stupidly cheap way of trucking around lots of infantry and providing them with covering fire.
Plainsman:  Tough, effective, inexpensive.  The active probe equipped version is especially nice.
Drillson:  Fast with well rounded firepower, one of the few succession wars tanks that outperforms an equivalent weight mech.
Regulator:  Obvious choice is obvious, but basically the tank the Condor and Scimitar want to be when they grow up.

Some other honorable mentions: the LRM Harrasser, Bandit and J Edgar

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #44 on: 28 September 2017, 11:11:16 »
Funny story, but a few years ago my group BANNED me from using Savannah Masters. So it goes...   :))

I'll also throw in the J Edgar as well. I do mostly 3025.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 29 September 2017, 04:42:30 »
Canon the 3058 Pegasus Scout . I liked to work them in tandem with the O-Bakemono mech . 2 Homing Arrow IV rounds makes big holes for the SRM launchers to take advantage of . The one in the TRO seems a little off in tonnage . I design my own by 3068 and field them in numbers in 3075 when Heavy Ferro Fibrous armor becomes available in quantity . As for a game that made Savannah Masters outlawed : I saw a reason in the old FASA days when all combat vehicles moved before any mech so they could surround a mech and prevent it from getting a moment modifier . The new rules do not make all combat vehicles lose initiative so it is harder to hem in a non jumping mech .

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #46 on: 29 September 2017, 09:02:10 »
As for a game that made Savannah Masters outlawed : I saw a reason in the old FASA days when all combat vehicles moved before any mech so they could surround a mech and prevent it from getting a moment modifier . The new rules do not make all combat vehicles lose initiative so it is harder to hem in a non jumping mech .
Given an infinite number of Savannah Masters (which comes out to about 1000 BV), you either move them in groups (meaning enough to surround a 'Mech), or if using random initiative, have high odds of moving several before the 'Mech moves.  No guarantee that you can surround it before its own move, but the odds of doing so are still too high.

Personally, I wouldn't ban them, I'd just limit them (and anything similar: Gabriel) to no more than a lance on the table.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2017, 10:19:22 by Kovax »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #47 on: 29 September 2017, 11:03:40 »
I'd back that. There's a common-sense thread to be followed when it comes to planning games like that- if your army is planned out to be so annoying that no one will want to fight it, you'll be able to declare victory this weekend, then spend the next few wondering why no one will return your calls about the next game. The old saying is 'winning isn't everything'- and that's true. A few dozen Savannah Masters is a tough army to defeat, sure- but I sure wouldn't want to be at the table with someone who wants to play that way.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 29 September 2017, 11:47:06 »

From the Department of the Obvious:

You don't have to concede anything in-universe because of the Savannah Master, because you can defend a strategic choice that says, "no, my force will wait two weeks to engage until my wing of Nightshades, Rippers and Cavalry VTOLs arrive at which point I will be content to hunt every last one of your Masters down."

You do have to contend about strategic flexibility. You can't, really, always take your most favorite composition into every fight and expect to keep the same situational advantages and disadvantages.

On the MUXs, for instance, we developed a situation with the Condor-L, J Edgar and, I think, a particular Drillson variant. These units were situationally so OP that 2 or 3 hover tanks were literally taking down 3 or 4 'Mechs every fight, which was throwing the whole game out of whack, force comp, economy, the works. So, eventually the site admins had to use the strategic hand and make some adjustments as to the availability, cost, etc. Piloting ability had alot to do with that, of course, but also some unintended consequences of the ruleset were at play, as well.

Over the top of the complaints about arbitrariness, noobs, maps with lots of random level 2 hexsides, the Sprintlink Lag Conspiracy, inferno srms, etc., however, was the very sound military principle that, yes, you develop an advantage with a specific unit like a Condor-L and JEdgar, then, off-map, I am going to be dropping conventional bombs on your factories and offloading pads, using AeroSpace to interdict your supply chain, etc.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2017, 12:19:23 by Easy »

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 29 September 2017, 14:33:44 »
Pegasus for me.   If the Saladin looked like the Gladius, then it would have been no contest otherwise.   Loved the RL/TOG look of the Gladius, just arrived a bit late to my awareness.

I simply love the Pegasus. A lance will disrupt any enemy plan. Used effectively they can be devastating. I've often put four in an enemies rear arc for full move modifiers. You can pop most mechs with that kind of fire power on their six. If it doesn't pop you'll probably pull a couple of through armour crits from sheer volume of hits.

Then they speed away, realign and speed in again. Any unit that can "turn" an opposing force getting into their rear arc is deadly dangerous. Ignore such a threat and it can do serious damage. Engage it and you waste precious fire power trying to hit very high THNs.

I often find it best to slowly pull back from any fast force like this. If it gets behind you and you're also engaged from the front things can get bad really fast.

Highly terrain dependant unit of course.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 29 September 2017, 17:27:06 »
The faction that uses the Savannah Master the most also uses the most Assault mechs . Since Assault are too slow to intercept objective raids well I tend to see a lance of militia assault mechs on station and a company of Savannah Masters that can race to the site from a regional base . The target may already have conventional or battle armor infantry . The attacking force must have a close LZ or a second company of Savannah Masters may have the time to join in the fight or harass while the raiders retreat . 21 + speed means they can be based within 50-100km of many potential targets and get to any one of them once the attacking force commits to one . They define quantity is a quality all by itself. Unless they are not at least a company of them they are not a huge obstacle .

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #51 on: 07 October 2017, 08:37:26 »
I'd back that. There's a common-sense thread to be followed when it comes to planning games like that- if your army is planned out to be so annoying that no one will want to fight it, you'll be able to declare victory this weekend, then spend the next few wondering why no one will return your calls about the next game. The old saying is 'winning isn't everything'- and that's true. A few dozen Savannah Masters is a tough army to defeat, sure- but I sure wouldn't want to be at the table with someone who wants to play that way.

I don't know.... a company of Savannah Masters vs. a Lance of Charger-1A1's? Single mapsheet, rolling hills. Do you ram or run away?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #52 on: 07 October 2017, 10:47:36 »
Harrasser with mixed variants. Nothing like being able to deploy LRM cover supported by SRMs and Medium Lasers all in the same hull design.

Second Goes to the Heavy Hover APC. Nothing like being able to deploy a full team of BA at a moment's notice.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #53 on: 11 October 2017, 03:31:39 »
1. Regulator for obvious reasons.
2.  Saladin. Again for obvious reasons.
3. SM1 tank destroyer...preferably the SM1A, but the SM1 one came out in 3068.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #54 on: 11 October 2017, 08:35:01 »
I don't know.... a company of Savannah Masters vs. a Lance of Charger-1A1's? Single mapsheet, rolling hills. Do you ram or run away?

TT

The answer, as I said before, is 'find someone else to game with'.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 12 October 2017, 23:21:07 »
I'm rather fond of the Infantry version of the Maxim as a battlebus for my Kanazuchis.

Register