Author Topic: Name for an independent Capellean March?  (Read 3989 times)

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
Name for an independent Capellean March?
« on: 30 October 2017, 19:40:39 »
So, hypothetically, say Michael Hasek-Davion rebelled against Hanse Davion and created an independent realm out of the Capellean March, what do you think it would be called?
The Capellean March?
The Dutchy of New Syrtis?
Something more interesting?

[I had too many volunteers for Inner Sphere at War, so I needed a new faction]

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Name for an independent Capellean March?
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2017, 19:41:59 »
The Dead March Walking, because the Capellans are going to be incredibly eager to claim newly isolated territory and the Suns is going to have a huge grudge against him for doing it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2017, 20:04:16 »
I mean what will they call themselves for the few turns of the game we will get to play before I collapse crying over vast reams of paperwork?

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2017, 20:22:21 »
Yeah, I would've pegged it more likely to be in the aftermath of the Jihad that Duchess Angela makes a bid for independence as part of a general splintering of the FedSuns. If Michael Hasek-Davion manages to do it (perhaps old Max is less paranoid that day), he likely ends up a client state of the Capellan Confederation. Assuming he remains independent in name, I'd imagine the Syrtis Principality or something like would be the name.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2017, 20:33:35 »
Syrtis Ascension
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2017, 20:41:14 »
 The Davion Despotate

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2017, 21:39:57 »
The Hasek Holdfast

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2017, 22:01:42 »
so sort of a reverse St. Ives Compact?
you couldn't get a truly independent state.. but if the secessionist region became a close ally with a neighboring state, they might be able to make re-conquering them too problematic.

i'd assume that like St. Ives they'd just keep their existing regional name, and change their classification, the way the St. Ives commonality became the St Ives Compact, or the Rasalhague Military District became the Free Rasalhague Republic.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2017, 08:32:12 »
Federated Suns - after all he is the rightful First Prince of the Federated Suns not that failure Hanse Davion
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2017, 09:38:47 »
Good point.
Might get a bit confusing on the map though.

They don't even have to be long term viable. If they lasted 2 years, that would by 24 game turns. With waiting for 6 people to submit turns and resolve combats, that probably translates into a decent length of time in the real world.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2017, 09:56:26 »

I'd go with Duchy of New Syrtis.  Capellan March is an administrative area under the Federated Suns.  If the Mikey seceded from House Davion, he wouldn't continue to use that term.  And Capellan Marchers hate Cappies anyway, so they're not going to use anything Capellan to refer to themselves.

Kathil and Taygeta head the two major operational areas within the March.  If New Syrtis did not come with the secession or the government can't convene on New Syrtis, Kathil and Taygeta are good alternates.  (Kathil also has major mech production on planet.)

Other government names could work too.  Assembly of New Syrtis or Congress of Kathil or Demarchy of Taygeta(if going less feudal and more democratic), Timocracy of Taygeta ("rule by the honorable"), Stratocracy of Syrtis (if a martial law arrangement), etc,
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2017, 12:40:44 »
Dog Food.

Pull "Federal" units out--like the Davion Assault and 5th Guards. Pull the Crucis Lancers and Avalon Hussar RCTS out. You are left with a few merc companies, 3 Syrtis Lancer RCTS and the CMM RCTs. You just don't have enough units loyal to such a vast area of space. Even the Outworlds Alliance is going to be eating your worlds, not to mention the Taurians.

Nom Nom Nom.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2017, 14:18:13 »
Dog Food.

Pull "Federal" units out--like the Davion Assault and 5th Guards. Pull the Crucis Lancers and Avalon Hussar RCTS out. You are left with a few merc companies, 3 Syrtis Lancer RCTS and the CMM RCTs. You just don't have enough units loyal to such a vast area of space. Even the Outworlds Alliance is going to be eating your worlds, not to mention the Taurians.

Nom Nom Nom.

thus my bit about how they'd have to closely ally with another power. which i'll admit, would be tricky for the Capellan march and the Hasek-Davions.. since the only other nation in the region with enough power to spook the fedsuns away from a military solution would be the Capcon, and a lot of the upper social classes in the region are very anti-capellan..

that said, i suspect that Micheal Hasek-Davion, had he taken the March truely independent as a seperate nation, would have arranged uprisings to boot the davion nobility and the other problematic "carpetbaggers" out.. remember that while the region's nobility and military are davion (mostly from other parts of the fedsuns), the general populace on those worlds are more capellan in general culture, since a lot of those worlds were once the Capcon's.

so after a couple Nights of the Long Knives, his new state would have less qualms about allying with the Capcon. with the Capcon able to then concentrate more of its forces on the other parts of the border, and making motions that they'll invade the Fedsuns if the fedsuns attacks the new state, that would buy Micheal hasek-davion time to draw from militia forces and ideological recruits into new standing army,

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2017, 15:02:52 »
thus my bit about how they'd have to closely ally with another power. which i'll admit, would be tricky for the Capellan march and the Hasek-Davions.. since the only other nation in the region with enough power to spook the fedsuns away from a military solution would be the Capcon, and a lot of the upper social classes in the region are very anti-capellan..

that said, i suspect that Micheal Hasek-Davion, had he taken the March truely independent as a seperate nation, would have arranged uprisings to boot the davion nobility and the other problematic "carpetbaggers" out.. remember that while the region's nobility and military are davion (mostly from other parts of the fedsuns), the general populace on those worlds are more capellan in general culture, since a lot of those worlds were once the Capcon's.

so after a couple Nights of the Long Knives, his new state would have less qualms about allying with the Capcon. with the Capcon able to then concentrate more of its forces on the other parts of the border, and making motions that they'll invade the Fedsuns if the fedsuns attacks the new state, that would buy Micheal hasek-davion time to draw from militia forces and ideological recruits into new standing army,

True, but for Michael H-D, it seems odd to get out of bed with the Davion family just to jump in bed with the Liao family. Heck, he even married Ian and Hanse's half sister Marie, right?

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2017, 17:58:02 »
He did indeed, in an attempt to put himself closer to the throne on New Avalon -- not because he wanted to take the March independent.

If you needed to generate a new faction for extra players, I personally would have started with Andurien and then gone to Rasalhague next followed by Skye.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2017, 18:04:25 »
What was the Capellan March called before it joined the Federation?  Granted he needs to be careful to avoid the Varnay problem . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2017, 18:17:38 »
He did indeed, in an attempt to put himself closer to the throne on New Avalon -- not because he wanted to take the March independent.
per the Warrior series, he did so back when Hanse Davion was still an untested ruler, with Micheal hasek-Davion himself indicating it was mainly to present himself as a viable alternative to Hanse.. when that failed, he couldn't drop the name change, but he decided to suck up to Max Liao (perhaps he'd heard rumors of the body-double thing?)

Micheal Hasek-Davion was just looking for power, however he could get it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2017, 18:20:06 »
Yeah . . . think Renly Barratheon.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2017, 19:36:49 »
Renly had to be talked into usurping the throne.  Michael wanted it before Max cuddled up to him.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2017, 21:03:47 »
per the Warrior series, he did so back when Hanse Davion was still an untested ruler, with Micheal hasek-Davion himself indicating it was mainly to present himself as a viable alternative to Hanse.. when that failed, he couldn't drop the name change, but he decided to suck up to Max Liao (perhaps he'd heard rumors of the body-double thing?)

Micheal Hasek-Davion was just looking for power, however he could get it.

Per the Warrior series Michael was still attempting to seize the throne on New Avalon.  He clearly states as much to Count Vitios as his DropShip approaches Terra for the Steiner-Davion wedding.  Of course he doesn't tell the virulently anti-Capellan Count Vitios the truth about how long he has been working with House Liao or how deep his treachery has gone.

"A popular groundswell of support will elevate me to become supreme ruler of the Federated Capellan Empire!" (Warrior:Riposte, ch. 24)

Hey why not use that as a name?  The Federated Capellan Empire.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 November 2017, 08:44:42 »
 If I were Maximilian, I would lend Michael the Wolf's Dragoons, and try to funnel a few other power outfits. If you reverse the directions of the Dragoon's employment, it could make for an interesting story.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #21 on: 01 November 2017, 09:10:37 »

Hey why not use that as a name?  The Federated Capellan Empire.

Agreed, it  makes a lot of sense coming from Michael Hasek-Davion himself. The splintered march being the start of his "Empire".

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2017, 09:12:41 »
What was the Capellan March called before it joined the Federation?  Granted he needs to be careful to avoid the Varnay problem . . .

Same idea i had - but as far as i know there was no realm in that area, that joined the FS. At least none of a size that could argue for this heritage.

Also the family of Hasek cannot claim any realms name as his own as they were just a traditional family on New Avalon before becoming Dukes of the March.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 01 November 2017, 10:59:20 »
In all seriousness, something with "Empire" in the title would probably rustle Michael H-D's jimmies quite a bit. So I like that.

Also, is it just me or from 3000-3145 have Davion March lords like the Hasek and Sandoval caused way more trouble than they are worth or what?

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 01 November 2017, 17:19:28 »
In all seriousness, something with "Empire" in the title would probably rustle Michael H-D's jimmies quite a bit. So I like that.

After Amaris an "Empire" might have a wrong taste.
I could see the name of such a realm would hold a claim to the FS throne. So "Hasek Federation" might be a good choice, if he planned to go for New Avalon.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #25 on: 02 November 2017, 01:53:24 »
It doesn't really matter what name the Hasek would pick for independent realm as it would quickly become New Syrtis Commonality.
Shoot first, laugh later.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 02 November 2017, 02:41:34 »
After Amaris an "Empire" might have a wrong taste.
I could see the name of such a realm would hold a claim to the FS throne. So "Hasek Federation" might be a good choice, if he planned to go for New Avalon.
i doubt that he'd use his own name. would be too much grandstanding for his population to accept i think. probably something more like the "New Syrtis Federation"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 06 November 2017, 04:51:55 »
Also, is it just me or from 3000-3145 have Davion March lords like the Hasek and Sandoval caused way more trouble than they are worth or what?
Probably an attempt by TPTB to make the Davions have bad guys too.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 06 November 2017, 05:24:23 »
Hmm. IMHO... Bearing the St Ives Compact in mind, "Free" or "Independent" anything is out. Same reason "Federation" is out, refer Fed Com and Fed Suns. "March" is too closely connected to its former status, and a Hasek would resent reminder of being a Duke when he thinks he's at least a Prince, so "Duchy" is out. Its probably not a "Republic" and anyway we have at least 2 of those already, 1 of which was birthed in similar circumstances. I also agree with the reasons for discounting "Empire". No "Thumbs", no "Isles".

That handles what you don't want. What do you want - a connection with New Syrtis and the Syrtis Fusiliers both. Something that emphasises the primacy and right to rule of the New Syrtis Govt and the Haseks. On these bases my choice of name would be either the Syrtis Sovereignty or cpip's Syrtis Principality - or combine both and get the longform name; the Sovereign Principality of Syrtis*

*the "New" is optional

Probably an attempt by TPTB to make the Davions have bad guys too.
Bbbbut aren't ALL Davions bad guys?
/Taurian Concordat
« Last Edit: 06 November 2017, 05:26:08 by Kidd »

Register