Author Topic: Building a Marian Hegemony Maniple  (Read 2736 times)

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
Building a Marian Hegemony Maniple
« on: 01 November 2017, 10:51:40 »
Hello,

I'm making a list for my 2nd Alpha Strike game ever. We picked Dark Age, 200 PV, and I'm trying to build a Marian Hegemony Maniple with a 'Mech Century and a Vehicle Century.

I've been collecting for the Jihad and it turns out a lot of my collection is gone by the Dark Age, so I'm a little limited by that, but I'm open to picking up new things.

This is what I have currently:

Locust LCT-1V2 BattleMech 568 14 20
Icarus II ICR-2S BattleMech 986 23 40
Centurion CN9-Ar BattleMech 1,226 31 50
Apollo APL-1M BattleMech 1,207 34 55
BattleMaster BLR-1Gc BattleMech 1,577 43 85

Scorpion Light Tank (LAC) Combat Vehicle 289 10 25
Harasser Missile Platform (Thunderbolt) Combat Vehicle 541 13 25
Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 Combat Vehicle 309 12 30

What changes should I make? I don't really have a good sense of what complements what in Alpha Strike yet, so I just went with what fit in 200PV that I could represent on the table mostly accurately with what I own.

Thank you!

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: Building a Marian Hegemony Maniple
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2017, 14:47:28 »
Make sure to upgrade your pilots (and pay the corresponding PV), at least for your mechs. Unless you like a lot of misses at range.

Go to the standard scorpion, not the LAC version. Only 1PV more each, and way more powerful. The LAC version gets medium and long at 0*, which means even if you hit, you need to roll 4+ to actually do 1 damage. The standard version gets 1 at all ranges, so if you hit, you hit.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2017, 16:46:31 »
What I have there is already at 200PV, so I'd need to drop or change something to upgrade the pilots.

The Standard Scorpion isn't on any of the Dark Age availability charts... I know the MUL has an Extinct category, and that's not there either, so I'm not sure how to interpret that. Does that just mean they haven't gotten to it, or there doesn't happen to be anything explicitly listing its availability?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2017, 17:11:15 »
What I have there is already at 200PV, so I'd need to drop or change something to upgrade the pilots.

The Standard Scorpion isn't on any of the Dark Age availability charts... I know the MUL has an Extinct category, and that's not there either, so I'm not sure how to interpret that. Does that just mean they haven't gotten to it, or there doesn't happen to be anything explicitly listing its availability?

Based on this:

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Era/Index

I'd say anything past Early Republic is still a Work in Progress
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2017, 17:51:04 »
Based on this:

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Era/Index

I'd say anything past Early Republic is still a Work in Progress

Ooh! I forgot about that Draft tag there. In that case I'll be more liberal with what I'm including. That will help. Thank you!

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2017, 11:49:12 »
Game was postponed so in interest of balancing PV between the two cohorts I have acquired an Eisenfaust and a couple Vedettes.

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2017, 16:25:21 »
Here's Version 2.0, with Skill 3 Eisenfaust, Icarus, and Myrmidon

Wolfhound WLF-1
Locust LCT-1V2
Eisenfaust EFT-7X
Icarus II ICR-2S
Jenner JR7-D

Vedette Medium Tank (Standard)
Vedette Medium Tank (Standard)
Saladin Assault Hover Tank (Standard)
Saladin Assault Hover Tank (Standard)
Myrmidon Medium Tank (Standard)

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2017, 13:46:40 »
Finally got this game in! 200PV Alpha Strike, Dark Age, dense urban setting. My opponent fielded FWL, one lance of Mechs much heavier than mine and one platoon of vehicles, both under full complement.

I started off on the wrong foot, losing my Locust to a Unit Destroyed critical and generally rolling terribly for the first several rounds. Things picked up for me later in the game and I was able to narrow the gap, but by then I was down to inner structure on most everything. We called the game when I was down to a single Vedette at 1/2 movement and 0 Damage due to a motive hit and a weapon crit. He still had 1 Vedette and 2 Regulators.

What I missed was some long range hitters. I also play Infinity and have been applying the common "slicing the pie" tactics from Infinity to Battletech with good results, but it's harder to do in closer range. The Icarus I was able to move around well, but the Myrmidon I just mismanaged, it was trapped behind buildings changing directions to keep up with the rest of the battle and mostly not ending up with LoF to anything. The Eisenfaust being slower than the rest of the troops just couldn't always move to have sights on the same target I was hoping to focus on.

Any favourite Snipers or Missile Boats with good maneouvreability?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2017, 14:18:55 »
Any favourite Snipers or Missile Boats with good maneouvreability?

From MUL:

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Card/6532?skill=4

Sorry size too large...

PV 16

TT
« Last Edit: 30 December 2017, 14:20:30 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2017, 17:13:55 »
I don’t think a unit with Move 0” counts as “with good maneuverability”? :)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2017, 17:26:34 »
True but a 2 point damage ability from behind a level 1 or greater obstacle isn't nothing to sneeze at. You'll still need to find and silence it... >:D

Hence five said trailers in the Century's Maniple... One could be an Ultra ( pv 16 ) or T-Bolt ( pv 17 ) variant.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Terrordactyl

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2018, 00:57:58 »
I think I should try the gun trailers eventually, they’ve stood out to me repeatedly now. I’ll need to pick up some good minis for them.

Right now I have a couple Vedette (Cell)s in my next List, and I noticed they have C3S - any recommendations for C3M to go with them?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2018, 20:25:06 »
Try four Vedettes and a Maxim Infantry Command. ECM and two C3M.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse