Author Topic: Generic Teams - Brown  (Read 3482 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Generic Teams - Brown
« on: 21 November 2017, 21:26:18 »
Where Team Tan is a lot of vintage stuff, Team Brown is my catch-all team, getting pretty much one or more of everything. There will be two different hues for Clan stuff and IS stuff, as well as some stylings to differentiate different groups inside the team. It will be a mix of plastic and metal, compared to the all metal that I'm going with for Team Tan and mostly plastic for the other color wheel teams. Finally, I'm going to have fun with choosing what I deem good looking sculpts to fill in for some designs. A lot of alternate configurations will fall into this group which don't get a color wheel team.

For example - I like the look of the Stalker II and the Firestarter Omni, which I'll be using for a standard Stalker and Regular Firestarter when necessary.

Another Example - The Mechs featured in Mech Commander and Mech Commander Gold will get a Davion Guards style stripe scheme for IS Mechs.

But, for now, here are the Mechs I've appropriated from Robotech RPG Tactics to represent their vintage counterparts. An Archer will be on the way, but I'm modding it with magnets to swap between standard arms and large laser equipped arms.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
Re: Generic Teams - Brown
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2017, 21:29:11 »
Everyone should be familiar with these three favorites.

Two were originally going to be part of a strictly Robotech force, but I have a new scheme in mind I wanted to try, so they got re-purposed.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2017, 21:32:49 »
Some of you might be wondering about this one. I started BT with the 2nd Ed Boxed Set with the Chameleon as the training mech for the training game.

It looked very much like a Wasp with a bubble cockpit head like the Griffin or BattleMaster.

While the 3058 Chamee may be okay, redone for obvious reasons, I still wanted a Cham to match that old artwork.

Oddly enough, the Robotech RPG Tactics Starter Box comes packaged in such a way that you get 6! Battloid Mode Veritechs, compared to the five each of the other two modes.

I had a spare, and this is what I came up with.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2017, 21:39:54 »
So, originally, I'd planned on this being the flight leader from a full four Valkyrie squadron. In the paint section of the RPG Tactics book, they had the trooper not in the tan that I was used to finding online, but this brown. It turned out to be a little too much work having to mix the browns right, so I decided I was going with a different scheme with my Robotech Valks. Considering a scenario I have in mind, I wanted to do a light navy gray on white with them.

So, this being brown already, I decided Team Brown would have a Stinger LAM.  I'm looking at this being a Generation II LAM.  Compared to the Mark 1s, they got an armor facelift to closer resemble their Mech namesakes, but they're nothing like the Generation 3 LAMs (Ral Partha minis) which were designed to blend in with their standard Mech counterparts more completely.

Contemplated doing a Wasp, too. I may, since this one has eaten into the proper 5 that I have, leaving me with 4 spare to work with for RT:Tactics.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2017, 21:41:50 »
Lastly, while the Robotech bases were neat, I find that I like the versatility in using X-Wing flight Pegs, since I also plan on finding a way to cross universes for a proper battle with Star Wars stuff at some point in the future.

I plan on mounting any Mech Scale Fighters on these.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2017, 16:28:31 »
 O0

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2017, 19:22:28 »
Love the conversion work on that Chameleon. Did you sculpt the new head on its own or build it off the one of the base model? It looks slick!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2017, 11:09:00 »
Great work on all your teams!  Though simple, they are still very eye catching.  Especially all those unseens.   8) 8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2017, 11:14:40 »
Love the conversion work on that Chameleon. Did you sculpt the new head on its own or build it off the one of the base model? It looks slick!

Dark Age Minin Mech MOD cockpit cut to fit. It was very simple. Then, drilling for the antennae was simple, too. I've found that those little plastic tag holders from clothes work really great as such, because they're flexible.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2017, 19:17:04 »
Very sweet!

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2018, 16:56:33 »
Consider the attached a preview of the large vehicle fleet that will be supplementing Team Brown Mechs on the field.

I needed a little cash, so a friend bought these off me, and I painted them up for him. He specified making them 'Team Brown' - his words - with gray turret rings and structural supports.

This is the general treatment I'll be doing for Team Brown vees with maybe a few extra fun details.

There are some Team Brown Elite Infantry part of a heavy weapons squad, hidden somewhere in the pic, too.

With Team Brown, I plan to do full vehicle platoons of a type. Not so much for the other teams.

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2018, 06:56:55 »
Nice work!  I bought myself several boxes of those, myself, so I could field a few lances of classic Warhammers, Riflemen, Archers, and Longbows.  The Valkyries I converted into Stinger, Wasp, and Phoenix Hawk LAM's in airmech mode.  They look great but, sheesh, they are a pain to glue together!  I thought I would lose my mind doing that.  #P

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2018, 09:21:27 »
A friend and I split the first box, mostly. He wanted one of each of the RDF Mecha, and I did a Wasp with the right hand missing and gun attached to the arm for him.

I pinned a lot of mine while gluing. Green floral wire is actually very useful in this manner.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2018, 20:29:17 »
That is awesome work, love them all. O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2018, 22:33:06 »
LOVE that Chameleon conversion!  8) 8) 8)

What did you use for the cockpit?

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2018, 13:43:35 »
LOVE that Chameleon conversion!  8) 8) 8)

What did you use for the cockpit?

;)

Dark Age Mining Mech MOD cockpit cut to fit. It was very simple. Then, drilling for the antennae was simple, too. I've found that those little plastic tag holders from clothes work really great as such, because they're flexible.

Y'know, the almost appropriately sized for 1/285 scale plastic ones. I've held onto a couple because they seem to fit better for standard BT minis than the smaller metal ones. MOD or the standard industrial bubble dome works. You slice it off right along the contact line and it fits right in between the chest slabs on the Valk mini.

Looks like I included the 'chin' in the piece, as well.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2018, 16:02:45 »
While I eventually intend to fill out some vehicle ranks, right now, I've been focused on Infantry.

I'll be using DA infantry for most of Team Brown's elements, because it's wonderfully generic. I have enough for a full 28-man platoon of Elite Infantry and Standard Foot, with some left over for some interesting options.

Most of them are going to look like the brown armor over lighter yellowish brown jumpsuit.

The one thing I love about the DA Laser infantry is that the gun is generic enough it could pass for a laser, or a heavy machinegun of sorts. So, it will be pulling double duty for those roles.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2018, 16:05:59 »
So, the first squad I've actually completed for team brown happens to be a dedicated Heavy Weapons Squad, with two support weapons. In this case, I've given them SRM Launchers. I may look at giving them some laser/machinegun options, too, but for now, that's what I've started with. I have a couple guys left uncompleted that could allow them to go light, dropping the heavy weapons altogether, but I'm not sure if I might not want them in another squad later.

They have the gray armor since this is effectively my 5th squad, and I wanted to have some opfor options in a pinch.

Daemion

• Major
Re: Generic Teams - Brown Update
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2019, 11:33:22 »
Team Brown has grown by one more unit. 

I present to you, the Archer.

This one was fun for me, because I had enough bits left over, that I wanted to do my take on the large laser configurations.

Magnets saved the day.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2019, 11:36:46 »
Runway shots.

For the standard one, I had a hard time using the stock RPG Tactics hands, as they were mostly right-handed with a couple options for the left.  Decided to have fun and have the pilot pointing the Mech's fingers, saying 'pew pew' while he fired the medium lasers.

For the Large laser arms, it was fitting to use the same gun that's found on the Phoenix Hawk, but underslung.  Had to rely on a good Dark Age staple - the Ghost - for the hands.

Coming soon, starter box mediums and an Atlas.