Author Topic: Mechs that are taboo  (Read 13214 times)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Mechs that are taboo
« Reply #60 on: 19 January 2018, 13:41:31 »
Well the Sino-US conflict took place during the Korean War....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #61 on: 19 January 2018, 15:42:49 »
(Now, the B-36... that was different. Likely as a result of the Tu-4 fiasco, my granddad was under strict orders to destroy any secret equipment- bomb sights, radios, etc.- in case of a crash. Just in case. His expert opinion was that they should have gifted a Peacemaker to the Russians so they'd have to suffer through using the god-awful things too.)
Two burnin' two turnin' two chokin' two smokin' two missing!

Actually the idea of a batch of Celestials used as falseflag raids sounds awesome.  I'd say the Cappies would have the best chance for that - they had those two extra Warrior Houses of Kali's blakists, plus all the salvage when everything went to hell on Sian, plus?  The Death Commandos.  Stupid name, but terror tactics are totally right up their alley for things to do.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #62 on: 19 January 2018, 16:19:23 »

Yep. "Sino" is a kind-of obsolete term for "relating to China." The WWII conflict between Japan and the U.S. and its allies is properly called the "Pacific War."

Actually the idea of a batch of Celestials used as falseflag raids sounds awesome.  I'd say the Cappies would have the best chance for that - they had those two extra Warrior Houses of Kali's blakists, plus all the salvage when everything went to hell on Sian, plus?  The Death Commandos.  Stupid name, but terror tactics are totally right up their alley for things to do.

NONE MORE DEATH.

I'm pretty sure everyone had plenty of Blakist salvage, even the Regulans, though I'm sure theirs was warm to the touch, even in winter. I am seriously surprised nobody staged such attacks. Even if they weren't deep-penetration, do-and-die, suicide missions, a few raids worlds on the border of the Periphery could cause a decent amount of panic.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #63 on: 19 January 2018, 16:24:56 »
The impression I got was that nobody wanted to believe the possibility of the Blakists surviving, so maybe doing false flag ops like that would have just struck a little too close to home.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #64 on: 19 January 2018, 16:49:25 »
The impression I got was that nobody wanted to believe the possibility of the Blakists surviving, so maybe doing false flag ops like that would have just struck a little too close to home.

Well, the other side of it is that if any DID survive... that could get awkward. Don't you hate when you run a false flag using leftover Blakist gear, pretending to be Manei Domini raiders, and then the real MD show up to kick your ass in the middle of the raid?

...actually, wait, why the hell am I not writing a campaign around this idea?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #65 on: 19 January 2018, 17:00:41 »
Yeah, it's always super embarrassing when you show up for a raid and there's a bunch of other dudes whose mechs have the same paint jobs as yours.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 26 January 2018, 01:24:27 »
(Now, the B-36... that was different. Likely as a result of the Tu-4 fiasco, my granddad was under strict orders to destroy any secret equipment- bomb sights, radios, etc.- in case of a crash. Just in case. His expert opinion was that they should have gifted a Peacemaker to the Russians so they'd have to suffer through using the god-awful things too.)
I was under the impression that those polices were in place pretty much from jump street.  Gen. Hap Arnold ordered that Nordens had to be covered with a bag when the were being moved from the storage room to the plane before a mission.   Neville Chamberlain personally wrote to Roosevelt asking for Nordens to be installed on British bombers but was denied for security reasons.  Chaimberlain left office in 1940, before the Pacific War started.

::faceplam::  Sino=Chinese.  My bad.

Well, the other side of it is that if any DID survive... that could get awkward. Don't you hate when you run a false flag using leftover Blakist gear, pretending to be Manei Domini raiders, and then the real MD show up to kick your ass in the middle of the raid?

...actually, wait, why the hell am I not writing a campaign around this idea?
Won't that be "interesting?"  Most of that MD gear is usable by frails but it's tuned for Domini.  Celestials tend to be favor armor over big
 guns because MD pilots don't miss often. That would put these faux-Blakists in a bit of a pickle...  'Cause genocidal, self-maiming, religious fanatics will totally be flattered that someone was impersonating them.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #67 on: 26 January 2018, 01:46:29 »
Won't that be "interesting?"  Most of that MD gear is usable by frails but it's tuned for Domini.  Celestials tend to be favor armor over big
 guns because MD pilots don't miss often. That would put these faux-Blakists in a bit of a pickle...  'Cause genocidal, self-maiming, religious fanatics will totally be flattered that someone was impersonating them.

Well, if you were going to do a black ops mission impersonating the WoB, you'd be using highly skilled, fanatically loyal troops for the raid, not some unskilled turkeys who wouldn't be able to put up a convincing performance.

Register