Author Topic: Graphic glitches  (Read 5450 times)

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Graphic glitches
« on: 18 December 2017, 12:29:01 »
So... I bought a new laptop (Asus ROG G752VSK) and now either MegaMek and MekHQ shows up with a garbled mix of graphics. The more I use them more mess it does.

The first turn is fine. The second turn starts to get one or two buttons missing unless I go there with the mouse arrow (in which case it shows again but the graphic is mixed with the terrain layer) and after that its all downhill. The same happens with the top menus.

Closing either of them goes back to normal but after I open any of them and play a couple of turns they start to go back to scramble the graphics (specially the bottom buttons and the top menus).

I only have this kind of problem in MegaMek stuff. Could this be a Java thing or Windows 10 playing tricks on this?

Edit = Tried the two most recent dev versions and both do this.

Edit 2 = Tried compatibility mode with Windows 7 and have the same problems.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2017, 12:54:38 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
Re: Graphic glitches
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2017, 15:30:45 »
Graphics drivers and Java updated? First things I would check. It shouldn't be Windows 10, I run that without any issues, not going to say it isn't the issue though. Make sure that is updated too just to be sure.

Plenty of RAM allocated? Don't see that being the issue, but who knows.

Graphics settings? Don't see that as an issue either, but just listing stuff off at this point. I run 1920x1080 with a large screen TV as a monitor so I have not tried higher settings.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2017, 16:02:58 »
Graphics drivers and Java updated? First things I would check. It shouldn't be Windows 10, I run that without any issues, not going to say it isn't the issue though. Make sure that is updated too just to be sure.

Plenty of RAM allocated? Don't see that being the issue, but who knows.

Graphics settings? Don't see that as an issue either, but just listing stuff off at this point. I run 1920x1080 with a large screen TV as a monitor so I have not tried higher settings.

Forgot to say that. Everything updated (drivers, java and windows).

Increased RAM allocated to 4096.

I use the same resolution with a second monitor connected on HDMI port.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2017, 16:39:41 »
I've heard of issues with Java based programs (I've seen Minecraft players mention it) having graphical issues because of extra software the manufacturer has installed.

For example MSI Nahimic.  Try disabling some of the ASUS programs running. 
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2017, 18:10:02 »
I've heard of issues with Java based programs (I've seen Minecraft players mention it) having graphical issues because of extra software the manufacturer has installed.

For example MSI Nahimic.  Try disabling some of the ASUS programs running.

Yeah. I googled before I posted this topic and read many users with problems in several java based games but didnt found any conclusive resolution.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2017, 18:43:00 »
Ugh, bloatware. Haven't had to deal with that since I had someone show me how to build a PC. I would open up Windows Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program, google anything you do not know what it is, then start uninstalling anything you do not want or is not essential.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2017, 18:46:04 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2017, 06:21:54 »
You might also have a bum graphics card.

I have this happen on web-browsers sometimes when lots of programs are open; seems to be the card having a hissy fit.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2018, 10:54:01 »
So...

After all this time searching and trying some ideas I finally think I have a solution to this problem... and as its usual to say the simplest solution is the one that works.

While I was staring into the screen in despair I changed the Hz frequency as a last futile resort and... it worked!

Changed from the default 120Hz to 60Hz and after 10 turns of a big battle in MekHQ/MegaMek (usually after 2 or 3 turns I had the problem) and its still working. Ill update this if I get the problem back.

P.S. 120Hz (the default frequency) seems to work well for everything else. Any idea why?

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2018, 12:25:09 »
Did you look through your log file?  Any time I have ever seen that issue where you have to mouse over the screen to get buttons and things to uncover there has always been an NPE in the logfile. 

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2018, 14:48:56 »
Did you look through your log file?  Any time I have ever seen that issue where you have to mouse over the screen to get buttons and things to uncover there has always been an NPE in the logfile.

You got me there... dont have the slightest idea of what youre talking about...

Maybe these will help...

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2018, 17:11:29 »
Code: [Select]
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at javax.swing.ToolTipManager$insideTimerAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

You need to post a bug report on github.  Your using 0.43.5 so search for your issue using keywords because maybe this was fixed already.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2018, 23:39:53 »
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at javax.swing.ToolTipManager$insideTimerAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

You need to post a bug report on github.  Your using 0.43.5 so search for your issue using keywords because maybe this was fixed already.

Actually Im running 0.43.6 but ill look into that tomorrow morning and post something here... too tired now.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2018, 07:12:26 »
Make sure that this line is in your MegaMek.l4j file:

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
That has solved all my graphical glitching.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2018, 13:49:59 »
Make sure that this line is in your MegaMek.l4j file:

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
That has solved all my graphical glitching.

That did it. I noticed later that I had that line in MegaMek but it wasn't on the MegaMek side of MekHQ which it was the cause of my problems. The monitor frequency thing was a coincidence that it worked correct because I tested with the MegaMek alone.

To sum up... That instruction fixed all the graphical glitching for me like it did solved for you.

I believe its not a specific bug to MegaMek but a problem in the way Java interacts with the graphic drivers.

Register