Author Topic: Close combat and weapons firing  (Read 1570 times)

casperionx

• Master Sergeant
Close combat and weapons firing
« on: 04 January 2018, 20:48:18 »
Ok, I apologise if this is the wrong thread - but its something thats been bothering me for some time now.

in the close combat phase of the turn, if a mech hasnt used its shooting attacks based in its arms, it can throw a punch. Why cant we also fire the lasers/other weapons at the same time?

I would love to be able to do this, and I think it would be pretty awesome.

Thoughts, gripes? Lend me your ears. lol

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Close combat and weapons firing
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2018, 20:59:33 »
There are pilot abilities (a time of war, campaign operations) to allow this (Fist Fire).  But generally the idea is that the aiming a weapon and swinging a weapon are very different actions and incompatible with each other.  You can't point an arm at somebody at the same time you are swinging at somebody.
Fist Fire has you punch/smack them at the same as you are firing.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2018, 00:17:09 »
I always wanted a rocket punch where you get base to base and make a punch role but instead of doing punch damage you let loose all rocket launchers in that arm rolling on the punch table. 
It also auto crits your hand actuator if you had one because it has flown off and bashed the other mech. 

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2018, 15:37:10 »
I always wanted a rocket punch where you get base to base and make a punch role but instead of doing punch damage you let loose all rocket launchers in that arm rolling on the punch table. 
It also auto crits your hand actuator if you had one because it has flown off and bashed the other mech.

Um... I think you may be mounting your rocket launchers backwards...

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2018, 20:18:27 »
Isn’t there a Timberwolf variant with backward firing SRMs? :P

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2018, 20:31:14 »

Been watching "Robot Jox" have we? :D

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2018, 20:37:53 »
Been watching "Robot Jox" have we? :D
Go back to the original, watch the Mazinger anime.  That said, yay Robot Jox!

Isn’t there a Timberwolf variant with backward firing SRMs? :P
D version (and the Mad Cat IV) both run that setup, ERPPCs over two forward and two rear SSRM6s.  Flippable arms means never having to say you're sorry.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2018, 20:55:20 »
One thing that is being missed is that a combat turn is supposed to be something like 10 seconds . . . and a lot of the actions are supposed to be happening at the same time.  Swing your arm like a punch . . . the action is a lot different than trying to aim a handgun- and it all has to be done at the same time, or near enough it does not matter.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2018, 21:18:20 »
There are pilot abilities (a time of war, campaign operations) to allow this (Fist Fire).  But generally the idea is that the aiming a weapon and swinging a weapon are very different actions and incompatible with each other.  You can't point an arm at somebody at the same time you are swinging at somebody.
Fist Fire has you punch/smack them at the same as you are firing.

I saw Fist Fire in AToW and I fell in love. That and the rule that lets you slam a retractable blade home on a punch. Risky, but c'mon it would look AWESOME.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)