Author Topic: Before there was BattleTech...there was Ogre  (Read 1769 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Before there was BattleTech...there was Ogre
« on: 05 January 2018, 18:48:53 »
I've been restoring a truly ancient miniature over the past few days, and while the Flickr album is linked from my signature, I thought some folks might enjoy seeing my progress here.

This is the original picture that was posted on eBay. The seller only knew that it was a "vintage Ogre tank miniature" for Steve Jackson Games. (Amusingly, he also listed it as in "new, mint condition.") It looked like no Ogre mini I'd ever seen, so I bought it immediately for a mere $25 plus $10 shipping. I shared the photo with the good folks at the Steve Jackson Games forums, and got a few guesses as to its provenance. Some thought it was a knockoff, I thought it was the front end of an old piece mated to a newer rear end, and our own Paint-it-Pink believed it to be an original Martian Metals Ogre Mk V.

A bit of background here: Steve Jackson wrote Ogre for Metagaming, who published it in 1977 as their first "Microgame." Metagaming licensed the miniatures to Martian Metals (founded by the late Forest Brown), and their first line hit shelves in 1979, with a follow-up in 1981. Around that time, Steve Jackson had a serious falling-out with Howard Thompson, the owner of Metagaming, and went his own way, taking Ogre with him. The newly-founded Steve Jackson Games purchased the molds for the miniaturess from Martian Metals and cast their own versions in 1982, including a brand-new sculpt for the Ogre Mk V that has survived almost unchanged to this day. Sadly, Martian Metals suffered a warehouse fire in 1983 and went out of business.

Before the line went to SJ Games, Martian Metals made two different versions of the Ogre Mk V. The first used a one-piece hull, very similar to the latest plastic miniature from SJ Games. The second had about 40 parts to it!

Okay, back to the pictures and current events.

As soon as the package arrived, I knew I had something special. The seller had just wrapped the piece in bubble wrap and stuffed it in a big plastic envelope, and it was still ridiculously heavy. I recalled something Steve himself had said on his forums a couple days prior: "[The Martian Metals Ogre] had the right feel, but it was not crisp and it used a LOT of metal..." I allowed myself to start getting excited. I quickly unwrapped the monstrous piece and immediately dunked it in acetone. A cursory scan of the model showed that it was all metal, so I wanted to get that horrible paint off FAST.

After a couple of hours of soaking and scrubbing, I saw what looked like a maker's mark half-hidden under one track. I started concentrating on that one track, really working to get it free. Finally, after another 90 minutes of soaking, scrubbing, and a bit of prying, the track fell free...

...revealing the information I'd barely dared to hope to see: "(C) 1978 MM". I had, in my hands, an original Martian Metals Ogre Mk V, sculpted the very year I was born. It was clearly the first version, too, with the super-solid one-piece hull and all the detail directly sculpted on.

Hours later, I had removed pretty much all of the paint that I cared to bother with. The remaining three track units were still solidly attached with some sort of epoxy. Still, it was looking better already. I had to trim away a bit of the sensor tower and reattach the ball to the top, but I don't think I lost more than 1/8" in height. But man, I wanted to get those tracks off...

Here's the Martian Metals Mk V (right) next to the current (2017) plastic sculpt. They're the same giant tank, but the differences are striking.

I've tracked down a few of the original miniatures for Ogre. Here is the original 1979 lineup: the Ogre Mk V, and a GEV, heavy tank, and missile tank.

After a LOT more work, I managed to get the tracks free. This involved days of soaking and scrubbing, along with heat treatments and some prying with a sturdy knife. It then took me some time just to clean the old glue off the parts, mostly by carefully slicing it away with a sharp knife. I then put on gloves and a facemask, broke out my hobby files, and set to work cleaning up the piece as best I could.

...and this is where I stand today. The missing main batteries have been replaced with metal cannons from a 2001 Ogre model. The tracks have been mounted slightly offset, to both mimic the current Ogre profile and to give this machine a wider, meaner stance. All that's left to do are the secondary batteries (the long, skinny tubes you see on the tan Ogre, above).

It's been a hell of a week, working on this thing. I really feel like I'm holding history every time I pick it up. I cannot wait to finish repairing it, and then giving it a better paintjob than it has ever had before.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Charlie 6

• Captain
Re: Before there was BattleTech...there was Ogre
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2018, 20:37:05 »
I'm not into Ogre but I am excited to see you're excited.  Cool find for you.  I can appreciate a long lost mini finding a good home.  Pretty flippin' cool.

S/F

Matt

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2018, 08:26:26 »
Oh, man. Right in the feels. Ogre and Car Wars made me the gamer I am today. That’s an awesome find!
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2018, 09:15:36 »
Excellent restoration work!  I have read up on acidtone, i hadn't tried restoring my old minis i experimented with painting on yet. It looks like it will do the job.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2018, 10:32:48 »
That is one beauty of a solid metal mini. Did it originally come with the secondary batteries and those are long-lost, or are you just adding them to replicate the modern look? Because, for some reason, I feel as though it should LOOK as close to the original sculptor's intent, at least as is possible. Never played Ogre, though, so I don't know. :D

And how much does it weigh, anyway?

Excellent restoration work!  I have read up on acidtone, i hadn't tried restoring my old minis i experimented with painting on yet. It looks like it will do the job.
Don't use acetone on plastic, if that's what you're thinking of. You will destroy said plastic. Metal's fine, but I prefer Simple Green as an all-in-one solution to getting rid of old paintjobs. Plus it smells nice.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2018, 13:43:34 »
Great find, and loving restoration work!

Still have my 1st ed Metagaming Ogre pack - admittedly, it was the GEV pack we wore out on school camps. And parts of an Ogre Mk III somewhere ...

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2018, 15:37:38 »
I won a copy of the VHS box Ogre/GEV box from Steve Jackson himself at a con in Dublin about 20 years ago for having the best kill to losses ratio in a gigantic game of Ogre miniatures.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2018, 15:42:30 »
That is one beauty of a solid metal mini. Did it originally come with the secondary batteries and those are long-lost, or are you just adding them to replicate the modern look? Because, for some reason, I feel as though it should LOOK as close to the original sculptor's intent, at least as is possible. Never played Ogre, though, so I don't know. :D

That's the crux of my internal debate. Do I scratch-build skinny guns out of brass tubing, or do I use modern spare parts? The main cannons weren't as big a deal, since the new and old parts look similar enough.

And how much does it weigh, anyway?

More than almost any other metal miniature I've ever handled. It's not solid lead, but pretty close.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2018, 21:09:54 »
While ogre's never been my thing, that must have been a heck of an excelsior moment to realize what you had!

And all told, i personally have to say the old martian metals model looks a long sight sweeter to my eyes. oh well, fashion marches on, even in the world of giant smashy tanks....
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2018, 11:18:58 »
While ogre's never been my thing, that must have been a heck of an excelsior moment to realize what you had!

And all told, i personally have to say the old martian metals model looks a long sight sweeter to my eyes. oh well, fashion marches on, even in the world of giant smashy tanks....

When I finally got that tread unit off and saw the whole inscription, I'll be honest: I started shaking. It was such an awesome moment. I still have that mini on the dresser beside me, and I keep finding my gaze drawn to it. Today I plan on repairing the rest of its secondary batteries, and it will get a nice paint job.

I've also posted up some pictures of my Ogre "Samurai" conversion, which was (in game) Japan's answer to the Mk V. I heavily Worktrolled it. ;)

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2018, 16:40:53 »
Nice work!  I really love to see an old mini like this brought back to life. 

I used to have some of the licensed Ogre miniatures that Ral Partha produced, but those disappeared years ago into the great lead pile in the sky.  I just recently acquired some of the plastic Ogre miniatures SJG has now come out with.  They've done a couple of Kickstarters to get the molds made, the first one shipped a while ago, the second one I still being worked on.  Same old-school look.
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2018, 17:47:08 »
The new plastics are absolutely fantastic, and a great value. I've already painted up two copies of Set 1, have another on the workbench, two more awaiting paint, and will be ordering probably another four copies. I went a bit nuts for the Set 2 Kickstarter and will have 10 copies of that, plus two MORE copies of Set 1.

Register