Author Topic: Endeavor class Short Hop Shuttle: Nine hundred years of carrying your stuff  (Read 2255 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
The Endeavor is both one of the largest and oldest examples of the Short Hop Shuttlecraft, cargo or personnel carrying spacecraft equipped for short duration flights. These craft are primarily distinguished by their design and structural similarity to aerofighters, albiet generally slow, sluggish ones. This is to be expected, as modern aerofighters got their start as armed short hop craft in the final decades of the Terran Alliance. 

When it was first introduced in 2250, the Endeavor stood out among its counterparts for its transatmospheric capability (though the handling of the earliest models in an atmosphere was sluggish at best). This capability combined with a cargo capacity of seventy tons made it highly prized among both military and civilian customers. Even as comperable shuttles became more and more common, the Endeavor has remained in high demand, keeping it in continuous production (with regular updates as technology advanced) for the next nine hundred years.

The Endeavor has received dozens of updates over the centuries, however the two most extensive were in 2470, which saw the craft upgraded to more modern construction techniques, and in 2750, which was intended to further refine the craft for more modern sensibilities. Pilots and owners are said to have been divided over whether or not the 2750 update was worth it ever since. While it did increase the Endeavor's transportation capacity, the 2750 update did so at the expense of both acceleration and fuel. The loss of acceleration is arguably a minor concern, but the loss of fuel could frequently cause problems for pilots operating on more spread out routes, such as among the Jovian moons of the Sol system. It was thus a common occurrence for pilots and owners to modify their Endeavors to their own tastes and needs.

The Endeavor is just one of hundreds of similar craft developed over the centuries, ranging from the tiny five ton Cloudhopper (more of a pleasure craft than a working vessel) to craft just as large as the Endeavor. Before the 24th century, the majority of these craft were either incapable of atmospheric operations or extremly poorly suited to atmospheric flight, which tended to limit their operations to orbital and deep space stations. They were (and continue to be) especially popular among Sol's belter community and other spaceborn populations such as those at gulf breeze. Once transatmospheric capability became the standard rather than the exception, use of short hop shuttles became much more widespread. By the height of the Star League era, craft such as the Endeavor were the backbone of planetary transport networks on afluent worlds, at times even completely replacing more humble airbreathing craft. The long fall of the Succession Wars largely ended this practice, as the technology and infrastructure to maintain large fleets of craft like these was lost, destroyed, or re-purposed for military use. Even today, despite decades of recovery, the Short Hop Shuttle tends to be a rarity outside of a few entirely spaceborn communities like the Terran Belt.

Variants:

Though the Endeavor was not built as a combat craft, more than a few have been used as such over the centuries. As far back as the craft's introduction, pirates were known to outfit their Endeavors (and other ships) with stolen, surplused, or home-built weapons. The most well known of these mounted six medium autocannons, enough ammunition to be a credible threat, and as much extra armor as could fit. The result was fairly threatening in space (easily comperable or superior to the purpose built space fighters of the late 23rd and early 24th century), but the extra armor, often added with only a nodding appreciation of aerodynamics, tended to cripple the transatmospheric capabilities of the craft. As technology advanced, the sophistication of these mods advanced with it. The Terran Belters are known to field a particularly fearsome example among their defense forces which saw action both during the Amaris Coup and again three hundred years later during the Jihad. The notoriously insular Belters have kept the details to themselves, though observers claim their Endeavor gunship is equipped with energy weapons, and its armor and firepower compare favorably with a small dropship.

Code: [Select]
Endeavor class Short Hop Shuttle (2250)
IS advanced
100 tons 
BV: 375
Cost: 2,779,500 C-bills

Movement: 3/5
Engine: 120
Heat Sinks: 10
Cockpit: Primitive Cockpit

Structural Integrity: 10
Armor: 117 (Primitive)
                        Armor
-----------------------------
Nose                       34
Left Wing                  31
Right Wing                 31
Aft                        21

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Cargo (10 tons)                NOS
Fuel (10 tons)

Endeavor class Short Hop Shuttle (2470)
IS TW non-box set
100 tons 
BV: 384
Cost: 3,609,500 C-bills

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 200

Armor: 120
                        Armor
Nose                       34
Left Wing                  32
Right Wing                 32
Aft                        22

Communications Equipment (1 ton) NOS
Fuel (10 tons)

Endeavor class Short Hop Shuttle (2750)
IS TW non-box set
100 tons 
BV: 456
Cost: 2,630,500 C-bills

Movement: 3/5
Engine: 100

Armor: 144
                        Armor
Nose                       41
Left Wing                  36
Right Wing                 36
Aft                        31

Fuel (5 tons)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
That looks remarkably familiar.  ;D

Honestly, I like the more primitive take on the 2250 version, though, and the technological progression you did. And the actual fluff text explaining it.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
That looks remarkably familiar.  ;D

Wow... in retrospect now I remember seeing your Columbia before, so maybe I stole it subconsciously.  :D

The Columbia's a lot more handy in the modern era, just for the omni capability.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist

Any guys what are your ideas about the art/looks?

How do you see the designs handling all those cargo containers?

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Any guys what are your ideas about the art/looks?

How do you see the designs handling all those cargo containers?

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wow... in retrospect now I remember seeing your Columbia before, so maybe I stole it subconsciously.  :D

The Columbia's a lot more handy in the modern era, just for the omni capability.

I suspect a lot of aerospace fans of a certain age tend to think of the STS for a shuttle design, resulting in a myriad of variant designs in Battletech.  I know that, personally, while the US has had two crewed spacecraft that were flying during my lifetime, and two crewed space stations (I was a month old when the last Skylab mission ended, and a year-and-a-half old when the Apollo-Soyuz flight occurred), the Space Shuttle is the only crewed spacecraft the US has flown during my lifetime that I was actually old enough to remember.

It also has the benefit of having aerodynamics that are pretty much optimized for something of its size and performance characteristics.

The earlier non-Omni versions make for a fantastic continuity of design. :)
« Last Edit: 11 January 2018, 18:22:10 by Giovanni Blasini »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Now you're making me feel old...

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist

I had assumed a more X-33 or a CFASTT-1 look.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
I'd say crossbreed the Shuttle with the Skylon

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
gentlemen , my only quibble here is where are the crew stats , other than that i love as a primative aerospace cargo/passenger shuttle . three cheers for liam's ghost and his primatives series .

idea weenie

• Major
gentlemen , my only quibble here is where are the crew stats , other than that i love as a primative aerospace cargo/passenger shuttle . three cheers for liam's ghost and his primatives series .

The first has a primitive cockpit, the others likely missed it.

For changing from the 2470 to 2750 version, it looks like the accel was dropped, the comm gear was removed, and 5 tons of fuel was converted into cargo.  I can see how they would market it as the could say that the pilot can choose to use it only for short-range (no need for communications gear or over 5 tons fuel), or refit it to long-range (change half a cargo bay over to fuel, and put back in the communications gear).  By making it only the 80 tons cargo and 5 tons fuel, it allows them to sell to the short-range people, but hopefully the structure was designed so people could put the 200 rated engine back in, and increase the fuel tankage as a result.

Very nice set of ships though:
(2107 - first KF FTL jump)
2250 - Initial basic design, capable of putting 70 tons into orbit (or to the Moon)
2470 - higher acceleration and better comms, allows slightly higher-grav worlds to be explored (they have likely found a few 1.01-1.49 G worlds by this point, and this design could be used on them
(2570 - Star League formed)
2750 - wanting a design with more flexibility since there were a lot of stations floating around at this point that din't need 4/6 accel, they put the older engine back in, and marketed it as a short-range craft.

Giovanni's design is refined, this is the lead up to it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
I really like this design, and the background information on it, great work again :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register