Author Topic: (Answered) Calculating Defensive Factor based on 'Mech speed  (Read 3068 times)

BootDisk

• Recruit
Background: I made a huge Excel thing to calculate the values of mechs based on BV1 and BV2.  This was a fun project and I have every 'Mech from the first TRO in there.  Some of them even calculated the correct BV2 numbers, but some didn't. 

QUESTION: What data is used to come up with the "Target Modifier" in the Defensive Factors Table on p.315? 

On page 303, the last paragraph related to the defensive section states that "A 'Mech's Defensive Factor is based on the unit's highest potential target modifier (including bonuses for jump capability...), as shown on the Defensive Factors Table and Defensive Factor Modifier Table (p.315).  The final result is the 'Mech's Defensive Battle Rating (DBR)."

Looking at other sources, it seems that a simple set of rules creates the data:

Stopped=0
Walking = 1
Run = 2
Jump Jets = 3

However, some of the 'Mechs in my program don't get the right numbers unless I fiddle with this.  The Locust, for example, comes up with a BV2 of 432 only if I use "1.4" for its defensive factor.  The Charger got the right BV2 only when I changed this number to "1.3", even though it doesn't have jump jets.  The Panther needed "1.2", and the Ostscout needed "1.4".  Most mechs did not come out correctly to match the listed BV2 numbers I found using Sarna and Master Unit List.

Additionally, the example "Calculating the BV of: A MON-66 Mongoose" on page 304 says "At a run, the Mongoose presents a Target Movement Modifier of +4.  That gives the 'Mech a Defensive Factor of 1.4" 

I must be mistaken about something. 
« Last Edit: 02 February 2018, 12:19:11 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: How to calculate the Defensive Factor based on 'Mech speed
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2018, 12:18:53 »
It looks like you are confusing the attacker movement modifier with the target movement modifier.

Attacker movement modifier is the attacker's modifier to its own attacks based on its movement: standing still +0, walking +1, etc that you list.  That is not used for the defensive modifier.

The target movement modifier is based on number of hexes moved (primarily) and whether or not it jumped, has MASC or TSM or is a VTOL.  This is described on TW p. 108 under target movement.  The modifiers are listed on TW p. 117's Attack Modifiers Table under Target.  This is the Target Modifier that TM's Defensive Factors Table p. 316 is referring to.  So a Mongoose MON-66, when running, can move 12 hexes (straight line, clear terrain), and under Moved 10-17 hexes on the Attack Modifiers Table there is a +4 modifier.  That +4 gives it a x1.4 Defensive Factor.

If a unit has multiple movement options, you have to find the highest possible Target Movement Modifier and use that one.  So a Spider with run of 12 and a jump of 8, the 12 would give it a +4, and the jump would give it a +4 (+3 for 8 hexes, +1 for jump).  So it's still +4.  A Shadow Hawk with a run of 8 and a jump of 2, would use the +3 from the run of 8, not the +1 from a jump of 2.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

BootDisk

• Recruit
Re: (Answered) Calculating Defensive Factor based on 'Mech speed
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2018, 15:37:14 »
Thank you. 

After looking at the data you suggested, I am sure you are correct.

I really find it frustrating that I can't pick up a single book to make sense of these formulas, but I am forced to flip back and forth.  Oh well, it makes the results that more sweet when I figure them out.