Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: JN-*** Jinggau  (Read 8798 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
'Mech of the Week: JN-*** Jinggau
« on: 25 March 2017, 20:11:03 »
Removed until further notice.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 18:41:00 by Empyrus »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 'Mech of the Week: JN-*** Jinggau
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2017, 20:21:04 »
The original Jinggau threw volcanos.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2017, 20:26:44 »
The original Jinggau threw volcanos.

I have no appropriate reaction thought or a .gif stored so i'll settle with:

What.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2017, 20:53:23 »
I have no appropriate reaction thought or a .gif stored so i'll settle with:

What.

Hmm. I misremembered, it was a "sonic super weapon".
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2017, 21:02:12 »
Painkiller Gauss Rifle?  I had no idea Rob Halford was Capellan.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2017, 22:56:36 »
\m/ \m/
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2017, 23:44:48 »
No mention that this 'mech is effectively extinct (or is it)? I thought the plant was destroyed at on point in the Jihad?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2017, 00:21:38 »
No mention that this 'mech is effectively extinct (or is it)? I thought the plant was destroyed at on point in the Jihad?

Still listed post-Jihad in MUL. Either the factory has been rebuilt, or there are so many of them made the 'Mech is far from extinct in practice.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2017, 00:57:29 »
Ah yes, the Jinggau, when the Liaos suddenly decided to re-explore their Oriental roots(?) and didn't quite get some things right  ::) Nonetheless it is a tough customer and all you need really is the classic JNG-8A, a fast-moving trooper that hits hard enough to wreck medium lances and reasonably threaten fellow heavies...!

I can't quite fathom the Jinggau Rush, chassis enhancements are certainly for an elite pilot but the weapon choice is, well... maybe designed to do a lot of urban fighting? I really dunno.

"Zhi tong yao" is, well, "pain alleviating medication", so a little bit lost in translation ::)

I also can't quite figure out the "gau" character for "Jing gau" itself... "Jing" is the character for sentry or police, so I have a hunch "gau" is actually mistransliterated call or shout, giving you the Sentry's Shout  O0

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2017, 01:19:02 »
I also can't quite figure out the "gau" character for "Jing gau" itself... "Jing" is the character for sentry or police, so I have a hunch "gau" is actually mistransliterated call or shout, giving you the Sentry's Shout  O0

The intent was "siren", so I think they were shooting for Jingbao or Jingdi
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2017, 01:25:35 »
The intent was "siren", so I think they were shooting for Jingbao or Jingdi
警报 Jingbao? That might have been worse - more commonly translated now as "police report"  :D

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2017, 01:29:33 »
Hey, it was a different time, before google translate, when a person had to screw up their translation all on their own.  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2017, 07:27:37 »
As an aside in regards to your dissertation on cavalry Mechs, 60 tons offers the most free weight when going 5/8 on a standard engine. Thus beasties like the Champion and Dragon. At 55 tons you still get half ton JJs thus a different type of mobility. YMMV.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2017, 09:24:32 »
Good article, to be sure. I've always favored giving historical background, so I liked that section. I might have put a bit more weight on the post 3050 IS, to give a good idea of how the Jinggau stacks up; the 5/8/5 heavy lineup is pretty thin, with the Falconer being the gold standard, and the Quickdraw as more of a lesson in why you need an XL (though with some weapon tweaks the poor Quickdraw can be at least usable) .

As for the mech, I've long been on the fence. The Falconer, and the Summoner that was its inspiration, work for me because they have both speed and range. The Jinggau looks like it does too, mounting a GR, but the sinks and lasers tell the story of an infighter. Its a good one, powerful, but it requires you to take some risks. Given the C has historically liked range (Vindicator, Catapult, Cataphract) at least one sniper in the family would be nice. Maybe a LRM/ PPC option.

But its still a really good mech. The 8 has more options, the 7 knows what it wants to do and sets out to do it. The Ion Rush I'd guess is the Maini Domini hunter. They take a lot of killing, and the sort of things the Grandmaster of the Warrior Houses would protect tend to be prime Blakest targets.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2017, 10:05:46 »
The plant was severely damage during this time. however the majority of it was rebuilt.   The plant wasn't destroyed until 3103 when it was sacked by the CCAF to deny the FS their price (per WoRE).

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2017, 10:13:36 »
As an aside in regards to your dissertation on cavalry Mechs, 60 tons offers the most free weight when going 5/8 on a standard engine. Thus beasties like the Champion and Dragon. At 55 tons you still get half ton JJs thus a different type of mobility. YMMV.
The Dragon has somewhat anemic firepower though the armor relatively good. 60 tons is not a bad spot but the Dragon isn't exactly brilliant design, for example the Wolverine (and its variants even more so) is very competitive design during the Star League and Succession Wars era (though you can argue the Dragon is less of a brawling cavalry design and more of a skirmisher). With Introductory-level tech, there are only so many ways you can build a 60 ton 5/8 'Mech, and they don't exactly impress me usually. The Grand Dragon is probably the best of the bunch.

I tend to regard the "border" tonnages slightly... awkward. That is, 20, 40, 60 and 80 ton spots. While 60 tons is efficient for heavy cavalry speed, it still straddles the line between heavies and mediums when it comes to armor and firepower, and is poor choice for jumpers. The Quickdraw demonstrates this nicely, reducing it to 55 tons would improve the design quite a lot (especially if one swaps the lasers to forward and adds another heat sink).
There are good 60-ton designs but even then i tend to feel they're out of place in heavier and lighter lances.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2017, 10:48:30 »
I can honestly say that I've never fought with or against a Jinggau.  The loadout does seem to tell two different tales, though I'm used to that as the owner of a TDR-9M.  Personally, I've always kind of discounted it based purely on looks.  A lot of the CCAF's 'Mechs of the era have a great visual aesthetic -- the Men Shen and Yu Huang in particular both look particularly menacing -- but the Jinggau is just an ugly, ungainly looking machine.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2017, 11:10:59 »
Menacing?  The Men Shen?  That thing looks like someone glued a few guns to a Dustbuster!

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2017, 12:24:45 »
It's spindly, sure, but it has a predatory sleekness to it.  The Jinggau looks like. . . well.  Something I probably shouldn't talk about on a family-friendly board.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2017, 12:46:26 »
It looks like the Stalker's younger cousin?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2017, 13:13:06 »
One thing I'm confused about.  What was that about it not having hips?  How could it move with no hips?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2017, 13:21:41 »
One thing I'm confused about.  What was that about it not having hips?  How could it move with no hips?
It has no hips like a human does. The legs are attached to "shoulders" just like the Nova's and Jenner's legs work.
Phrasing could've been better in retrospect.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2017, 21:03:54 »
A very Cappelan trait: after all, hips don't lie...

As for old tech 60 tonnes, I'd submit that design choices had more to do with their failures than inefficacy. After all, many would take a grossly inefficient Panther over a nearly efficient Quickdraw.  But if that Quickdraw mounted its weapons forward, and perhaps traded one missile launcher for armor and sinks, it would be much more well loved. And who doesn't love the old Grand Dragon, even if the AC5 (and AC2) variants don't always get the job done?
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2017, 21:37:32 »
It has no hips like a human does. The legs are attached to "shoulders" just like the Nova's and Jenner's legs work.
Phrasing could've been better in retrospect.
Ok, I see what you meant.

A very Cappelan trait: after all, hips don't lie...

As for old tech 60 tonnes, I'd submit that design choices had more to do with their failures than inefficacy. After all, many would take a grossly inefficient Panther over a nearly efficient Quickdraw.  But if that Quickdraw mounted its weapons forward, and perhaps traded one missile launcher for armor and sinks, it would be much more well loved. And who doesn't love the old Grand Dragon, even if the AC5 (and AC2) variants don't always get the job done?
There's also the downgraded Exterminator which, while not exceptional, is better than the Quickdraw.  I actually like the Grand Dragon a lot, but it isn't that much better than, say, the CN9-A.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2017, 22:40:49 »
is it just me, or is the concept of the Jinggau refined in the Dark Age into the more widely available Scourge?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2017, 22:45:45 »
Eh, the Scourge is newer than the Jinggau, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily more refined.  That loss of a jump jet is a liability that I'm not convinced that the AES makes up for even if it does have better armor.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2017, 23:19:48 »
The Scourge is a Lyran and FWL 'Mech. I wonder... maybe they did just like the Jinggau and copied the concept pretty directly. IRL it is a headscratcher though, waste of TRO page count as someone might say. The ridiculous inefficiency of using 3 tons to boost four tons of lasers only annoys me greatly as well. Using that weight for the Gauss rifle would've made far more sense.

I'll note that the Cappies do like heavy cavalry during the Dark Age: The Mortis and Vandal are among their newest additions. And they don't seem to mind the odd mix of weapons...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2017, 01:42:14 »
Where as the Falconer is built to dance at long range and use its speed and mobility, the HE-111 is far more built to get up close and personal, punching hard on the way in and then blazing away with the ER Mediums, even the variants don't really change this.  Save that weird one with the arty sawnoff.

Great write up though :) The Jinggau is a good mech and you really did it justice :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2017, 01:45:26 »
"警告" (Jǐng gào) is best rendered as "warning" or "alarm".

I think the Romanized spelling chosen for the 'Mech's name results from confusion between the modern Pinyin system and the older Wade-Giles system (still used in Taiwan).

[/pedant mode]

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2017, 01:57:27 »

Jinggau nose section.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register