Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: DRG-*** Dragon/Grand Dragon  (Read 59616 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: DRG-*** Dragon/Grand Dragon
« on: 12 April 2013, 15:16:10 »
’Mech of the Week: DRG-*** Dragon/Grand Dragon

Dragon. A mythological creature of extreme power, often fire-breathing. A symbol used in ancient times for lands such as Wales, England, and Transylvania. (Dracula meaning among other things, Son of the Dragon.) Totem of the Draconis Combine. A constellation in the night sky (Draco). An iconic 60-ton BattleMech ubiquitous with House Kurita.

And very useful for modification. (One version of which helped me discover why putting a HV AC on certain designs can end with amputations…)

The Dragon even comes in two flavors. Those with autocannons tend to be the standard Dragons, while those toting PPCs tend to be Grand Dragons. Designed as a strike ’Mech to break up stagnant battles, it lends itself to the catchphrase almost anyone uses when using this machine for the first time.

Enter the Dragon!

The Dragon came about as the result of the SLDF looking to purchase a replacement for their aging Shadow Hawks. Presented to the SLDF agents by Luthien Armor Works, the DRG-1C model was turned down in favor for an upgraded version of the 55-tonner. LAW execs and their House Kurita masters were incensed at this.

Now a slight discrepancy needs mention. The original Tech Readout: 3025 text says the model being replaced was the SHD-1R variant, the original primitive version. Its replacement was the SHD-2H. This could make the Kurita beef somewhat understandable. Problem is, the -2H served in the Reunification War. According the XTRO: Primitives 1, the -2H was the design looking to be replaced. And the Star League chose the SHD-2Hb as its replacement. You know, the Royal Shadow Hawk. Expecting the DRG-1C to beat a design with a Class-10 LB-X autocannon, endo-steel, and ferro-fibrous is like expecting an F-4 Phantom II to beat an F-22 Raptor in a procurement test.

This test took place sometime around 2752. The DRG-1C utilized a Vlar 300-rated engine to give it ground speed equivalent to that of the Shadow Hawk. The design mounts maximum armor protection, laid out in a 9, 28/12, 18/10, 20, 28 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs). Ten heat sinks cover the heat dissipation. Weapons consisted of a Class-2 autocannon in the right arm, a centerline 10-rack LRM, and a medium laser in the left arm, and left torso, the latter rear-facing. The biggest issue I have with this design is the right torso. The only object in there is the ammunition for the autocannon. And forty-five rounds of ammunition is incredibly difficult to fire off before someone breeches the location. Two tons of ammunition was allocated for the LRM.

Another side note. As the DRG-1C is the model submitted for Star League approval, it also would be the one in the memory cores taken by Aleksander Kerensky on the Exodus. Thus, the DRG-1C is also the one found by Clan Mongoose and used as basis for their Great Wyrm design.

LAW made a determination that the Class-2 autocannon might be the reason they were turned down. So in 2754, they unveiled the DRG-1N model. This model, the standard for nearly 300 years, replaces the Class-2 with a Class-5 autocannon, supplied with two tons of ammunition. Three tons of armor was removed to facilitate the switch. This leaves the protection at 9, 27/12, 16/8, 14, 18.

As the standard Kurita heavy of the Succession Wars period, the Dragon underwent surprisingly little changes. In 3024, though, a new variant premiered that would change everything. The DRG-1G, designation “Grand Dragon” appeared. Apparently the brainchild of Takashi Kurita who wanted something with more punch, the Grand Dragon swaps the autocannon for a Lord’s Thunder PPC. A medium laser was added to the right torso. And two heat sinks were installed to try and help with the upped heat issues. This quickly became the preferred Dragon variant.

Around the year 3025, we are introduced to the personal variant of Warlord Syovo Yorioshi of the Benjamin Military District. Presented in Historical Turning Points: Galtor, his Dragon is designated DRG-2Y. The autocannon was replaced with a large laser, the rear-facing medium was removed, and the LRM was replaced with a 4-pack SRM and a flamer. A small laser was installed in the head. A total of sixteen heat sinks deal with the heat output. Armor is near maximum in a 9, 30/9, 21/7, 20, 28 pattern.

In 3028, during the Battle of Northwind in the Fourth Succession War, one Douglas Running-Elk from Barrow, Alaska, serving with Team Banzai as a coolant truck operator managed to “capture” a DRG-1G Grand Dragon. By this, I mean the MechWarrior walked his machine up to the coolant truck and promptly passed out from his wounds. He promptly had the machine refitted to allow for his Alaskan brain to survive. The PPC was replaced with a Class-5 autocannon, and the LRM rack downgraded to a five-shot model. The medium lasers were exchanged for a 6-pack SRM. (While this design comes from the Unique ’Mechs record sheet compellation, it is noted on the MUL, so I decided to include it.)

By the time the War of 3039 rolled around, the rediscoveries from the Helm Memory Core had spread far. Sorenson’s Sabres was tasked with testing out some prototype technologies. One of their number, Emory Wilk, piloted a Grand Dragon which mounted an experimental extended-range large laser, three prototype freezers, CASE, and prototype endo-steel. The LRM rack was also upgraded to a 15-shot version. A ton and a half of armor brought protection up to a 9, 26/9, 20/6, 18, 26 pattern. Mr. Wilk continued to use his model as a testbed until his death due to the failure of a prototype Gauss weapon.

As the “new” technologies emerged, the Dragon received a few. As a bridge design between the old and the new, the DRG-5N Dragon premiered in 3047. This machine swaps the rear-firing medium laser and the Class-5 standard autocannon for a Class-5 Ultra model. One ton of Class-5 ammo was removed to install CASE in both side torsos.

This made way in 3050 for the DRG-5K Grand Dragon, which became the standard being churned out. The -5K swaps the -1G’s PPC for an ER model, adds CASE for the LRM ammo, and makes the right torso-mounted laser rear-facing. Thirteen double heat sinks help with heat dissipation. Finally, a Hermes 360-rated extralight engine was used to give the design ground speeds similar to the Star League Lancelot. Two sub-variants exist. The first is the DRG-5K-DC model which removes two heat sinks and the right torso laser to add a Command Console. The other is the DRG-C, which swaps the right torso laser for a C3 Slave unit.

In 3063, the DRG-7K Grand Dragon arrived. This swaps the LRM rack for a 10-rack MRM launcher. The three medium lasers are now in the left arm, and are all extended models. Fifteen double heat sinks deal with the heat load as best they can. A Slave is in the right torso. MASC was installed. And an endo-steel skeleton was used.

That same year, the DRG-7N Dragon appeared. This monster also swaps the LRM rack for an MRM. Endo-steel is also used. The engine was upgraded to an extralight version. The rear-firing laser was moved to forward-firing. The autocannon was downgraded to a standard model and replaced the medium in the left arm. Finally, a Gauss Rifle was installed in the right arm.

Back to Sorenson’s Sabres. Member Mark Kisomita piloted a Grand Dragon (possibly Wilk’s old model). In 3067, his version of the -7K used a 300-rated light engine, a 15-rack LRM, MASC, and swapped the PPC for a Heavy version. Twelve double heat sinks deal with the heat load. Endo-steel and ferro-fibrous armor were used, giving the design a 9, 26/8, 19/6, 18, 25 pattern.

Then the Jihad hit. LAW saw its factories destroyed, including the one on Luthien in nuclear fire. Able to finagle a way to produce the design again, the DRG-9KC model walked off the lines in 3071. This model uses light ferro-fibrous to give it protection in a 9, 25/8, 17/5, 16, 21, 22 pattern (head, center, side, arms, left leg, right leg according to the record sheet). The PPC is now a Snub-Nose model. The LRM has been replaced with a 5-rack MML with two tons of ammo capacity. And a C3 Master was added to the right torso.

In 3076, a field-refit of the -5N appeared. Described as going back to the design’s roots, the DRG-5Nr, uses a Light Class-5 autocannon, moves the LRM rack to the left torso to add Artemis IV and puts two medium lasers in the left arm. The rear-mounted left torso laser is still there, though the C3 system mentioned in TRO: 3085 is missing.

Finally, in 3077, the DRG-7KC Grand Dragon appeared. Seeming to be a modification of the -7K this design swaps the MRMs for a 5-shot MML rack. CASE is gone. The Slave unit is now an experimental Boosted unit. Light ferro-fibrous was used to give the design protection in a 9, 24/8, 16/6, 16, 22 pattern.

In the days between the Jihad and the Dark Ages, a new Grand Dragon premiered. Designated the DRG-10K, the design is nominally based on the -7K. It mounts a Snub-Nose Particle Cannon, two medium lasers, and a 20-pack MRM launcher, tied into an Apollo system. Armor is the new Anti-penetrative ablation (ABA), which is bulkier than standard plate, but adds some protection against armor-piercing rounds. Pattern is 9, 27/10, 22/6, 20, 25. Ten double heat sinks deal with the heat load as best they can.

Using one is simple. You are designed to break-up stagnation and stalemates. Do so. Half the variants have some sort of long-range firepower that has minimums. So keep those in mind. On the other hand, the other half seem to have the close-in brawler feel. Most have heat woes if you are a little too Alpha-happy. With the Dragons, with the lone exception of the DRG-5N and the Yorioshi model, you have an autocannon. Usually with a bit too much ammunition. Use the specialty ammo. Precision is great when dealing with jumpers and fast annoyances. If you have C3, bring friends. Since you are likely in the Combine, you have a lot to choose from. Even other Dragons.

Fighting one is not easy. Most have good armor. And they can be a bear when coming at you in groups. Especially the MASC-equipped ones. That said, they do have heat problems, so Plasma can be most useful. Crit-seekers also. All carry ammo, so hitting it is always a plus. Against the C3 models, deal with them as quickly as you can. Stealth helps in this case. Bonus points if you can shut down the -9KC. Though with that one, it might be best to find cover in its area. Heavy weapons also help, as you need to wear down some of that armor. Though, do note that the -7N will likely be able to fire back at the same ranges with a head-capper of his own.

I do suspect that the Dragon (or at least the Grand Dragon) will soldier on into the Dark Ages. The only potential issue is the Shiro, which I believe is a heavy design, so might take away some of its luster.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2014, 17:53:25 by Kotetsu »

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: ’Mech of the Week: DRG-*** Dragon/Grand Dragon
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2013, 15:37:06 »
My favorite model is DRG-7N Dragon as it packs nice punch. MRMs are useless on such 'Mech, however.

Heregar

• Master Sergeant
  • Fate is inexorable
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2013, 16:29:11 »
My preferred mrch in my drac days, it always served with distinction.

Signature bar by HikageMaru

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2013, 16:39:32 »
Not seeing a Dragon on the Combine heavy 'mech RAT is the only complaint I have with the ER3145.

Still, those RATs are so general it's hard to make anything of it.  FM3145 should doubtlessly bring some incarnation of the old warhorse into the new era.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2013, 16:49:16 »
i rather liked the DRG-5K Grand Dragon model. the 6/9 speed and the power of the ERPPC made it ideal for use in scout and cavalry lances, which usually had to sacrifice firepower for their mobility.

in 3025, the grand dragon offers better firepower, but the regular dragon is much easier to heat balance, so it is a trade off. i have to say though that with the grand dragon, i found it odd they put the extra ML aft.. not only would another heat sink have been a more useful mod, but having 2/3rd of your close in firepower facing aft puts some limits on the combat effectiveness up close. especially since your aft armor is pretty thin.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2013, 17:16:52 »
Never really liked the design, whether the D or the GD..  too underwhelming for a heavy mech imo.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2013, 18:25:49 »
The Dragon dance, stay just out side of min range of other heavy at assult mechs by using you speed.  Seem under whelming until some one does this to you, and you then find that user several round you take to many hits and die.  I love the GD for its ability to do the dance at range and take those higher to hit shots.   Still I think that lack of a HPPC version is a crime, and what ever you say about the Black hawk Ka just look at its base profile 5/8/5 with heavy armor at 60 tons and that our Omni Dragon, now if they could just redo the look so it looked like the original.

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2013, 18:27:58 »
Don't look at it as a heavy.  Remember, the DCMS is not a fan of mediums.  Compare it to other 5/8 or 6/9 movers, and it is properly impressive.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2013, 18:30:36 »
One of my favorite Mechs. An oft overlooked fact is it's solid rear armor. I've been able to use that to my advantage more then once to my benefit
Hoping to see an updated version for the Dark Ages—hopefully without a Panther-esque visual overhaul. 
Maker of big things.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2013, 19:30:02 »
Never really liked the design, whether the D or the GD..  too underwhelming for a heavy mech imo.

The Dragon/Grand Dragon are medium mechs with a pot belly, both in speed and firepower.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2013, 19:43:15 »
What does the distinction between heavy and medium really say, anyways?
It can be as small a difference as 5 tons, and suddenly people have different expectations.  ::)^^
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2013, 22:57:10 »
My favorite model is DRG-7N Dragon as it packs nice punch.

And looks positively badass in Mechwarrior 4, in my opinion.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2013, 23:49:23 »
The  Mark Kisomita version I really like, especially in Quickstrike where averaging MASC into the speed gives it the Dragon a full time +3 defensive modifier.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2013, 00:37:16 »
It can be as small a difference as 5 tons, and suddenly people have different expectations.  ::)^^
For me..

Lights - fast movers for scouting, usually little in the way of offensive power (prior to 3055+)
Mediums, closers and bodyguards, often keeping up the flanks for heavies and assaults
Heavies, often the first line hard hitters, using their movement to keep the opponents occupied till the assaults come into play
assaults, THE heavy hitters, who clean up after all else has smacked opponents.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2013, 01:30:18 »
60 tons is the sweet spot for 5/8.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2013, 01:36:47 »

There is one problem I have with Dragon/Grand Dragon. It's the Wolverine.

The Draconis Combine has been a prolific user of WVR- series and Wolverines are often as good and sometimes better than contemporary Dragons/Grn. Dragons.

Succession WarsDRG-1C/1N/1GWVR-6KInstead of those autocannon Dragons (since -1G has appeared just in 3024) just give me better protected Wolverine with reliable Large Laser
3050DRG-5N/5G/CWVR-7KSo they replaced standard Autocannon with Ultracannon which fires twice the fast, and at the same moment they reduced ammo supply by half?
3060DRG-7K/7N/9KCWVR-8C/8KAgainst WVR-8K almost all 3060s Dragons look like poor relatives.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2013, 05:29:47 »
Well, for all the tradition, in Heir to the Dragon no less august a personage than a young Theodore Kurita is rather disappointed to find that he's been assigned a Dragon (probably a 1N) as his first 'Mech... ;)

In just about all its variants I've encountered so far it's not really a 'Mech that stands out to me much. I can buy it being one of the Combine's iconic workhorses, though -- between its ground speed, typical ammo reserves, and general focus on long-range firepower it's not a bad machine for the people who get stuck having to support the crazy samurai types when they decide to pull off yet another in-your-face banzai charge at the enemy to claim all the glory for themselves.

It's a decent harasser, skirmisher, and support unit. It's just (by and large, some custom rides obviously try to break the mold) not a brawler -- it tends to come up a bit short in terms of short-range firepower, armor, or even both for that particular role.

Heregar

• Master Sergeant
  • Fate is inexorable
« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2013, 08:33:42 »
There is one problem I have with Dragon/Grand Dragon. It's the Wolverine.

The Draconis Combine has been a prolific user of WVR- series and Wolverines are often as good and sometimes better than contemporary Dragons/Grn. Dragons.

Succession WarsDRG-1C/1N/1GWVR-6KInstead of those autocannon Dragons (since -1G has appeared just in 3024) just give me better protected Wolverine with reliable Large Laser
3050DRG-5N/5G/CWVR-7KSo they replaced standard Autocannon with Ultracannon which fires twice the fast, and at the same moment they reduced ammo supply by half?
3060DRG-7K/7N/9KCWVR-8C/8KAgainst WVR-8K almost all 3060s Dragons look like poor relatives.
I always respect your opinion Martian,  yet you are comparing two very different mechs with different roles. The Wolverine is fast so it can close and outmaneuver the enemy at short to medium range.  The Dragon is fast so it can maintain distance to long and medium range, the Dragon should only close with the enemy under two sercemstances.  Flanking a weak spot in the line or if it is low on ammo, you should never get in close with a Dragon since you will be wasting an advantage.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2013, 09:17:56 »
I always respect your opinion Martian
Don't do it. I don't value my opinion too much myself.  [blank]
It was just description of my personal thoughts of what I would rather take into battle.

yet you are comparing two very different mechs with different roles. The Wolverine is fast so it can close and outmaneuver the enemy at short to medium range.  The Dragon is fast so it can maintain distance to long and medium range, the Dragon should only close with the enemy under two sercemstances.  Flanking a weak spot in the line or if it is low on ammo, you should never get in close with a Dragon since you will be wasting an advantage.

The problem is that the Dragon with its 6/9 speed was fast in the Succession Wars era (most Heavies were 4/6 'Mechs such as Warhammer, Marauder, T-bolt etc.) - when it lacked puch.

After the Clans invaded, the (Grand) Dragon has kept its speed, but with the recovery of Lostech this speed ceased to be exceptional. Many IS Heavy 'Mechs had started to move with 5/8 speed, so Dragon's speed hasn't been the advantage it used to be.

And Clan 'Mechs? Classical Clan OmniMechs both outpace, outgun and outrange Dragon, be it Koshi and Dasher with their fabulous speed, Puma, Uller, Dragonfly - you name it. Black Hawk is slightly slower, but it comes with Jump Jets. I believe it's not neccessary to mention 'Mechs such as Ryoken, Mad Cat, Loki or Vulture.
Faster Light and Medium Clan 'Mechs can easily close at will, and other Medium and Heavy 'Mechs of comparable or slower speed have better weapons (with better range brackets and pulse bonuses).
Therefore, Dragon often can't dictate initiative.

... you should never get in close with a Dragon since you will be wasting an advantage.
Clanners don't care about wishes of DCMS commanders - once the Dragon is on the battlefield, it is fair game for any Clan OmniMech. And since it is futile to try to outgun Clan 'Mechs (as for example many pilots of Bushwacker found out), I would rather take WVR-8K instead of more common DRG-5K. Long-range firepower is similar, but the short-range armament combined with the agility would give me at least some chance to defeat the clan opponent. Because in most of its incarnations the Dragon is just overgrown Medium with average movement, 1-2 long range weapons and weak armor protecting XL engine. It has its uses, but I can't say I especially like it.

Heregar

• Master Sergeant
  • Fate is inexorable
« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2013, 11:25:28 »
The Dragon goes 5/8 in lev 1 play not 6/9. I will stand firm to my opinion, the Wolverine vs Dragon is for different roles and cannot be directly compared for performance. 

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2013, 12:02:59 »
The Dragon goes 5/8 in lev 1 play not 6/9. I will stand firm to my opinion, the Wolverine vs Dragon is for different roles and cannot be directly compared for performance. 
Worse than I thought ...  ;)

If you you are trying to build 3050 Draconis Combine force, you have two ways to go:
1. build it according canon descriptions - so Panther, Jenner, Dragon, Panther, Jenner, Dragon ...  :)
2. take other Draconis 'Mechs, less known -

1. Canon Lance:
  • JR7-K Jenner
  • PNT-10K Panther
  • DRG-5K Grand Dragon
  • DRG-5N Dragon

2. Non-typical Lance:
  • SDR-9K Venom
  • PXH-3K Phoenix Hawk
  • WVR-7K Wolverine
  • BHKU-OD Black Hawk-KU

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2013, 16:28:59 »
Ive noticed none of the dragons/grand dragons (via SSW) have jump capacity, so i can't see why they are compared to the wolverine which does jump.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2013, 17:14:49 »
Don't do it. I don't value my opinion too much myself.  [blank]
It was just description of my personal thoughts of what I would rather take into battle.

The problem is that the Dragon with its 6/9 speed was fast in the Succession Wars era (most Heavies were 4/6 'Mechs such as Warhammer, Marauder, T-bolt etc.) - when it lacked puch.

After the Clans invaded, the (Grand) Dragon has kept its speed, but with the recovery of Lostech this speed ceased to be exceptional. Many IS Heavy 'Mechs had started to move with 5/8 speed, so Dragon's speed hasn't been the advantage it used to be.
actually, the original grand dragons in 3025 were 5/8's. it was the 3050 refit that made them 6/9. right as the clans arrived with a 5/8 heavy standard.

at 6/9 the dragon might have not have been able to leave clan machines in the dust, but it certainly let them control range better. and against IS machines of the same generation a grand dragon would be a nasy customer, able to run rings around the 4/6 heavies while ripping into them with ERPPC and LRM's.

against the clans, the grand dragon's main flaw isn't speed, it is firepower and armor. it doesn't make use of Endo or ferro, and it uses the heavier IS weapons. so it can't pack the level of 'dear god what is that thing' into one frame the way clan mechs could.

honestly, the 3050 Grand dragon compares well to clan mechs like the Nova and Stormcrow. the clan mechs still pack more firepower in the common configs, but those rarely have the range a grand dragon boasts. while if the clan mechs use the longer range weapons, the capabilities approach parity.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 13 April 2013, 17:39:39 »
Also rember there's something to being able to overwhelm so called better mechs.

Does any one know why the Dragons ML face backwards?
They know the next writer is going to stab the combine in they back and thier ready for it >:D

Ghost_msl

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2013, 18:49:00 »
actually, the original grand dragons in 3025 were 5/8's. it was the 3050 refit that made them 6/9. right as the clans arrived with a 5/8 heavy standard.

at 6/9 the dragon might have not have been able to leave clan machines in the dust, but it certainly let them control range better. and against IS machines of the same generation a grand dragon would be a nasy customer, able to run rings around the 4/6 heavies while ripping into them with ERPPC and LRM's.

against the clans, the grand dragon's main flaw isn't speed, it is firepower and armor. it doesn't make use of Endo or ferro, and it uses the heavier IS weapons. so it can't pack the level of 'dear god what is that thing' into one frame the way clan mechs could.

honestly, the 3050 Grand dragon compares well to clan mechs like the Nova and Stormcrow. the clan mechs still pack more firepower in the common configs, but those rarely have the range a grand dragon boasts. while if the clan mechs use the longer range weapons, the capabilities approach parity.

Compares well to a Stormcrow? Whut? No, nooooooooo - the Stormcrow Prime has two clan ER Large Lasers that it can fire all day long and not feel the heat - that outrange everything the Grand Dragon has.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #25 on: 13 April 2013, 19:47:50 »
The Dragon dance, stay just out side of min range of other heavy at assult mechs by using you speed.  Seem under whelming until some one does this to you, and you then find that user several round you take to many hits and die.

So it does the Klingon Sabre Dance? :)
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 13 April 2013, 20:16:13 »

I am very much with you on this, the Dragon line does very well against IS opponents thanks to its exceptional speed which does a lot to offset its lackluster armor and firepower (although there is definitely room for improvement there), and against Clan opponents the speed gives it an actual advantage over most opponents which is more than most IS 'Mechs can say, especially during the initial invasion.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #27 on: 13 April 2013, 22:32:46 »
Ive noticed none of the dragons/grand dragons (via SSW) have jump capacity, so i can't see why they are compared to the wolverine which does jump.

Neither does the Kurita pre-3050 version of the Wolverine, trading them for armor and heat sinks.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 13 April 2013, 23:26:58 »
Also rember there's something to being able to overwhelm so called better mechs.

Does any one know why the Dragons ML face backwards?
They know the next writer is going to stab the combine in they back and thier ready for it >:D

but one single ML in the rear arc is not that much of a deterrent.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 13 April 2013, 23:40:13 »
but one single ML in the rear arc is not that much of a deterrent.

Everytime I've had one fired against me its been extremely effective. I'd guess its because of the thin armor on most fast 'mechs, but I seem to take internal damage from that single rear mounted laser every time.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer