Author Topic: How do you store your figures?  (Read 4456 times)

PGaither84

• Recruit
How do you store your figures?
« on: 24 June 2015, 21:58:23 »
I don't have any figures anymore, but when I used to play, I had a few tubs and tried to be gentle with my figures as much as possible. the problem was that, despite my better efforts, sometimes a piece would break off a tank here or there. Those foam miniatures bags were not accommodating at all for the Mechwarrior pieces, as they were built more for games like Warhammer 40k and so forth.

Honestly, one of my biggest problems with miniatures gaming is how impractical it is. Combined with a lack of local interest, and the popularity of Magic: the Gathering, I sold my collection and started playing that in 2004/2005 until this day. Trading Card games are just infinitely more practical. you put your cards in protective sleeves, put the deck in a protective box, have your bulk in a trade binder, all of which fits nicely into a back pack with a play mat and you are good to go. If I wanted to play MWDA, I had to take a big foam bag with an army or two, terrain pieces, beads, dice, and so forth, then set up a large table space just for a two player game. That just didn't work where I lived.

Additionally, I was 18 when the game came out in 2002. I am almost 31 now and was nostalgically looking back on the game I enjoyed despite those around me not caring so much for. I was cruising around ebay and started looking up "lots" to try and buy on the cheap. I was thinking if I do buy them, how am I going to take better care of them... and that's why I have created this post looking for advice.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: How do you store your figures?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2015, 02:07:49 »
I still do the 'throw them in a big plastic tub' thing, but mostly because the game is dead in this area, so... what else would I do with them right now, really? If I do find parts have broken off, a bit of superglue never hurt. (This is especially sad, I admit, as a Jade Falcon player- the wings on many of my Falcons don't move anymore. Pity.)

To be fair, I also never really did treat my figures all that well- I'd go to games after work, so I'd bring them along with me to the office... usually with the entire force crammed into an old (and cleaned out) Pringles can. It worked about as well as anything else I could think of, at the end of the day.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2015, 02:31:14 »
Sorted into faction bins. Granted I only have Davion, Steiner, Liao, Falcon and Bannson's as factions. Everything else got traded to other faction players. The Davion stuff is further sorted into Ziplocs for different infantry types.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2015, 08:01:01 »
Sorted by factions into tubs. The biggest trick is to pull out units rather than rummage through looking for something.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2015, 10:25:26 »
I went through many storage methods as my collection grew but they all were more or less storing them in bigger and bigger boxes or plastic tubs.  Sure I'd lose a gun barrel or missile pod from time to time, but the mini's took glue well so I never worried.  I was a 40k player before MW came along so it was more than happy to be able to be lazy with my storage.

Originally they were all sorted by faction, but now it's by weight class for mechs, motive type for vehicles, and category for infantry.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2015, 03:29:44 »
I have a large tub for most of the factions I dont really like as far as mechs go.  Each factions vehicless and infantry are in separate bags, and then the favorite factions, infantry, and vehicles are in a plastic stacking 6 shelf unit from target.  Takes up a corner of the man cave but no big deal, they are safe until I get to show then to future generations.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

Northkin

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2015, 17:03:24 »
I used trading-card boxes.  You could put a pre-set army in a box.
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Captain Montgomery Scott, Star Trek III

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2015, 17:31:10 »
Faction tubs when I still had them.   Now, just a few valiant survivors sitting on a shelf of mecha, armor, and starships.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2015, 18:39:22 »
In my area tackle boxes were repurposed for carrying collections.  I've got a couple sitting around, full of mechs and other stuff.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Register