Author Topic: [Non-BT] Tales of the Starship Diana (ST:TOS)  (Read 33160 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: [Non-BT] Tales of the Starship Diana (ST:TOS)
« Reply #90 on: 25 June 2017, 04:32:20 »
(not dead yet!)

Kerbin System
Aboard the KSV Just Testing
Docked to alien spacecraft USS Diana
Two hours after the Battle of the Kebthulhu vs. the Leviathan

Tramy Kerman looked at the small airlock of the Just Testing, then back out at the viewport at the enormous vessel their experimental warp ship had huddled up and docked to.  In the aftermath of the battle, they’d received a radio message from the ship, referring to itself as the USS Diana, but Tramy knew she would always think of the enormous white vessel as the Leviathan.
Lobles, her flight engineer, just stared at the Leviathan, drooling slightly.  “It’s…it’s…beautiful.”
She shook her head.  “Maybe.  It also looks like it’s a barely-held-together wreck…OK, that’s true for most of our ships, too.  But, that ship killed Kebthulhu.  It did things at warp our scientists and engineers did not believe was possible, despite having already been damaged.  So, yes, it’s a beautiful ship, but it’s also the most powerful, deadly thing Kerbals have ever seen.”
“I know,” Lobles replied, his eyes never turning from the Leviathan.  “That’s part of what makes it so damned beautiful.”
“Come on, Lobles, let’s not keep our saviors waiting.”
The two floated towards their airlock, and suited up.  While the atmosphere on the larger ship should, in theory, be compatible with their own, Tramy didn’t want to take any chances, just in case there was some random microbe that could cross biological barrier between their species and hers.

She hadn't really expected it, but the Leviathan’s airlock had no problem communicating with theirs, equalizing pressure, and verifying that the atmosphere om the other side was breathable for Kerbals. Tramy didn't get the impression that they needed to make changes to the atmosphere on their side.

As they cycled through their airlock and into the Leviathan’s, a disturbing thought popped into Tramy’s mind. ”Could these people be the Engineers who made our obviously artificial star system? Who made…us?”

Before she could give the idea much thought, the Leviathan’s airlock began cycling, and the two Kerbals gasped as they realized what was happening: a gradual ramp-up of gravity!  Lobles jaw just dropped, as he struggled to find words, before finally turning to Tramy, saying, “Whaaaaaat the crap?  They have artificial gravity, too?  So unfair…”

If looks could kill, Lobles would have burst into flames.  “Shut up,” she said. “Gravity buildup is slow, giving us time to acclimate. Controls are mounted high. If they were generally Kerbal-shaped, they'd have to be reaching over their heads all the time. I can't imagine that controls here would be any different in height anywhere else.”

Lobles nodded. “Primitive-looking, too. Goofy-looking lights and switches, multifunction displays look positively antiquated. Not sure it's really practical.  But, yeah, probably not a bunch of space squids who like pretty lights.  Still hoping for alien space babes, though.  Whoever was on the radio sounded kinda hot.”

Tramy’s sudden desire to turn into a giant green rage monster was interrupted by the airlock finishing its cycling and something disturbingly close to full Kerbin gravity returning, at which point the inner door opened, revealing…

“Huh,” Lobles said, looking up. “You're really tall. Like, really, really tall.”

While annoyed, Tracy couldn't help but agree.  The being who stood in the corridor to greet them was easily twice their height, with a body plan remarkably like their own.  Sure, cranium wasn't anywhere near as large proportionally, and overall body proportions were different, such as a thinner build and much longer legs, but the female alien’s physicality form was too similar to a Kerbal to be coincidence.

And the alien was definitely female. In a yellow miniskirt, no less.  That was a thing.

The overly-tall alien smiled, speaking into a small device in her hand, which translated her unusual language to Kerbalese.  “Hello.  My name is Dee Haines, and I’m captain of the USS Diana.  And, yes, I suppose I’m a bit on the tall side.  Welcome aboard the starship Diana …are you OK?” she said, looking at Tramy.

Tramy couldn’t help it.  “Why the heck are you wearing a skirt.  On a spaceship?”

Another voice, from what appeared to be the intercoms, chuckled.  “Quiet, you,” Dee said, looking up, exasperated.

“I’m guessing the rest of the crew was amused?  Actually, where is the rest of your crew?  A ship as enormous as this, I’d have expected a lot more people.” Lobles asked.

Dee shook her head. “Well, normally, you’d be right, and we’d have a crew of around two hundred.  But, full disclosure, my crew arguably only consists of two people, including me.  The laugh track would be Diana, the main computer’s artificial intelligence that runs the ship’s systems.”

Tramy and Lobles couldn’t help but stare at one another for a moment in shock.  Tramy found her voice first.  “Your ship…has a sapient artificial intelligence?”

Dee shook her head.  “Not quite.  The Diana has two sapient artificial intelligences, as well as a large number of non-sapient repair drones.”

Tramy looked at her in confusion.  “But you just said that…wait.  No.  You’re an artificial intelligence, too?”

Lobles chuckled.  “Giant alien robot space babe.”

Dee shook her head.  “Seriously?  Look, let’s adjourn to the conference room, rather than the hallway outside the airlock.  I’ll give you our whole sordid story.  Oh, and the skirt?” she said, turning to Tramy.  “Two things.  First, they’re a standard uniform option for the organization I work for, Starfleet.  The pants alternate is the clear choice for a microgravity environment, but as you can see, our artificial gravity is fully functional.  Second, it’s comfortable.”

Tramy thought about it for a moment.  “Fair enough.”  As the Kerbal walked off towards the conference room following Dee, and she and Lobles admired the powerful, advanced vessel up close, another thought occurred to her.  “So, the Diana seems quite the powerful battleship.”

{“Oh, we’re not a battleship,”} the ship’s AI announced over the intercom.  [“We’re a scout ship.”}

The two Kerbals jaws dropped as they stared at one another in shock, the implications of the ship’s AI’s statement running through their minds.

Dee just shook her head.  “Nice job breaking the Kerbals, Diana.”
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #91 on: 25 June 2017, 17:01:51 »
a slightly-better-armed-than-normal scoutship. (the Hermes class normally only has the bow phaser banks.. the Saladin class Destroyer has bow, port, and starboard banks.) presumably starfleet decided to uparm the ship during the refit, since it was potentially going to have to deal with Kelvan's (or whatever), and it wasn't like anyone was using the cubage those phasers take up for quarters. :)

personally i've always figured the Saladin and Hermes classes used the exact same hull, with the weapons and sensors mounts being the only difference.. Saladin got extra phasers, hermes got extra sensors. would make it easier to refit one class into the other depending on political conditions (war with the klingons heats up? pull in any Hermes class ships not on long range missions, and give them more guns..)

since you could pull most of the lifesupport systems on an M5 controlled ship, you could probably use the spare cubage that frees up (along with the removed crew quarters) to install the extra sensors in other mounts, and still fit the side phaser banks in.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 25 June 2017, 17:45:22 »
a slightly-better-armed-than-normal scoutship. (the Hermes class normally only has the bow phaser banks.. the Saladin class Destroyer has bow, port, and starboard banks.) will  starfleet decided to uparm the ship during the refit, since it was potentially going to have to deal with Kelvan's (or whatever), and it wasn't like anyone was using the cubage those phasers take up for quarters. :)

Huh. She should only have the paired forward facing bank of two emitters. Where did I mess up?

Eventually, Dee and the DRDs will be kludging some weaponry onto the ship, some of it possibly with Kerbal help.

personally i've always figured the Saladin and Hermes classes used the exact same hull, with the weapons and sensors mounts being the only difference.. Saladin got extra phasers, hermes got extra sensors. would make it easier to refit one class into the other depending on political conditions (war with the klingons heats up? pull in any Hermes class ships not on long range missions, and give them more guns..)

I'm actually disappointed that the Hermes doesn't have torpedo tubes, since that would allow for easy deployment of probes, but I don't think that was even a thing during TOS.  But, yeah, that's pretty much my interpretation of the Saladin/Hermes, too.

since you could pull most of the lifesupport systems on an M5 controlled ship, you could probably use the spare cubage that frees up (along with the removed crew quarters) to install the extra sensors in other mounts, and still fit the side phaser banks in.

Yeah, expect Dee and Diana to be repurposing a lot of internal volume as the need arises.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 25 June 2017, 20:25:28 »
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 25 June 2017, 23:53:25 »
Huh. She should only have the paired forward facing bank of two emitters. Where did I mess up?

Eventually, Dee and the DRDs will be kludging some weaponry onto the ship, some of it possibly with Kerbal help.

ok looks like i just misread..

curious to see just what kind of "weaponry" the kerbals come up with..
« Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 23:56:19 by glitterboy2098 »

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #95 on: 26 June 2017, 10:50:26 »
Popcorn time!
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #96 on: 26 June 2017, 18:19:57 »
Technically, you could use popcorn as a sort of primitive screen launcher (sandcaster, for the old amongst us), powered by the awesome thrust of beer venting into vacuum ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #97 on: 26 June 2017, 18:38:21 »
Technically, you could use popcorn as a sort of primitive screen launcher (sandcaster, for the old amongst us), powered by the awesome thrust of beer venting into vacuum ...
Or those who are children of Grognards know. 8)
M. T. Thompson

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 26 June 2017, 18:39:34 »
And now for something a bit spoilery, an attached image showing the USS Diana, Dee, and her bridge crew from the early 25th Century.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 03 November 2017, 02:51:01 »
USS Diana, M-5 Log
Stardate 17375.83 (2271-11-28 09:31:28)
Day 838 of Mission
Kerbin Orbit, Kerbol Star System

We continue to obtain the assistance of the Kerbals in repairs to systems that are within their technological and industrial capacity.  This has, to date, primarily proved to be structural, though additional repairs to more advanced subsystems from internal spares, such as our phasers, have been within our own capabilities.

While having defeated the entity the Kerbals refer to as “Kebthulhu” has engendered goodwill and encouraged the Kerbals to provide technical assistance, Captain Haines has, with some discretion, taken a page from early Earth-Vulcan history, and provided extremely limited technical assistance.  The geometry of the
Diana’s warp nacelle, for example, has allowed the Kerbals to ascertain that linear warp drive is possible, in addition to the ring-based warp drive that so closely resembles obsolete Vulcan designs.  To this end, after consultation, we decided it would be permissible to provide the Kerbals technical details on Zephran Cochrane’s Phoenix and its linear warp nacelles, as a starting point for additional research by the Kerbal Aeronautics and Space Administration.

As they are fortunately a warp-capable species, General Directive 1, the Non-Interference Directive, does not apply to the Kerbals, allowing the Captain's uh decision to make contact with the Kerbals and exchange some technical advice permissible.  We do, however, find ourselves in a situation similar to the Vulcans, after First Contact with humans and Earth, where we must question what technologies we can safely provide the Kerbals that we need not fear they will use irresponsibly.  Discussions thus far have proven...interesting.

Conference Room, USS Diana

"No," Lieutenant Dee Haines said firmly to the Kerbal across from her. "In fact, not just 'no', but 'hell no'.  While I appreciate the philosophy that 'failure is always an option' that your people espouse, failure isn't actually an option when dealing with large quantities of antimatter."

General Jebediah Kerman, the famed pioneer of Kerbal spaceflight and lead negotiator for the Kerbals, shrugged. "What's the worst that can happen?"

"You lose containment on a sizeable quantity of antimatter and render the surface of your homeworld uninhabitable."

Jebediah sighed. "That would be bad."

"Yes, it would," Dee agreed. "Look, I can't believe I'm about to say that, given our own history of another race telling us we weren't ready, but you're not ready for antimatter. You just don't have the institutional history of safe magnetic confinement of explody stuff of this magnitude.”

“'Explody stuff.  Is that a technical term?” Jebediah laughed.

“Absolutely, along with metric crapton.  So is BFR, which your people appear to have significant expertise in.”

“True enough,” the Kerbal agreed.  “Guessing you have an idea?”

“I do,” Dee agreed.  “Basic fusion rocketry isn’t far beyond the fission rockets and ion thrusters you’ve using right now.  That’s something we can help you with that will increase your power generation, give you a big boost in specific impulse and thrust, but still be easy enough for you to maintain and experiment with without blowing up your planet.”

Jebediah paused for a moment, as he gathered his thoughts, “By the way, I couldn’t help but notice your own ‘Space Leviathan’ had a pair of super powerful death rays it used to great effect at blowing up Kebthulhu...well, when it was within their arc of fire.”

From the intercom, Diana, the M-5, immediately chimed in. “They’re not on the table.”

“Disappointing, but not surprising. No, what I was getting at is that you have a great big ship that, I’d imagine, would have had plenty of extra room for weapons.  My engineers can even guess where other turrets might be able to be mounted, though the mounts look incomplete.  My physicists wager you could carry triple the number you currently have with power to spare, even in your damaged state.  Obviously, you know there are threats out there, or else your people wouldn’t have bothered arming your ship at all.  So, why did they do such a bad job of it?”
Starships can’t shake their heads in dismay.  As an android, Dee could. “Technically, we’re a combination scout and science ship, and we carry additional science labs and sensors in place of most of the weapons the more militarized destroyer version.  But there’s more to it than that.”

"Oh?” Jebediah asked.  For an alien species, Kerbal mannerisms were remarkably similar to human ones, and the note of sarcasm in his voice was practically a full melody.  “From what little you’ve explained of your mission, I would have figured the extra sensors would have been a necessity, and had you not had your kludge modifications turn out to be ‘explody stuff’, you may not have needed much firepower.  I mean, yeah, it’s be poor planning, but there is a train of logic there, and you did mention this whole plan got thrown together in a hurry.  I’m guessing most ships of this class run bigger crews?”

Diana, the M-5, chimed in. “They do.  But, then, they also lack an M-5 computer such as myself.”

Jebediah nodded. “So you were considered expendable. Minimum risk of getting a crew killed, since your crew consisted of two AIs, extra sensors to help with your primary mission, and hopefully fast enough to not have to worry about your severe lack of enough death rays.”

“Or antimatter torpedoes,” Dee agreed helpfully.

“Captain!” the M-5 exclaimed indignantly.  “Ixnay on the Orpedoestay!”

“Oh, hush, Diana. Never hurts to remind someone that antimatter can be ridiculously dangerous.  Also, I’m guessing the good General may have an inkling as to the other reason we were given such an undergunned vessel.”

“Actually, not really,” Jebediah said. “A Kerbaled together mission seemed reason enough.”

Dee was surprised to find herself feeling a little bitter. “They weren’t sure they could trust us.”

“They had valid reasons, Captain,” Diana stated.  Perhaps it was her perspective as an M-5, but she completely understood their reasoning.  “General, the first operational test of an M-5 was aboard a heavy cruiser, using the engrams of the computer’s designer.  It proved highly capable, but…problematic.”
“It ran rampant, used live weapons during a training exercise, and killed over four hundred people, after fighting four other cruisers to a standstill.  So, while the M-5 offered a solution to their problems with this mission, and they believed they could trust me more than their first attempt, they weren’t sure and, however well-founded their concerns were, they’ve still helped put us in a very difficult position.  We’re stranded thousands of light years from home, facing a voyage that, if successful, could take over a century, and we’re barely able to protect ourselves.  We don’t have the tooling to build more of our current weapons, and developing your technical and industrial base to that point could take decades.  We’re going to take more damage along the way, and while we have our repair drones, we don’t have enough of them anymore, and they’re going to need to last a long time, too.”

Jebediah was quiet for a moment.  "While your high-tech weaponry is fantastic, maybe going low-tech and sustainable is a better idea.  We’ve seen your plasma injectors, they’re not terribly hard for us to build, and we’ve already figured out a way to weaponized them into plasma cannons.  Crappy ones, compared to your death rays, but weapons nonetheless.  We may not be able to build you fancy antimatter torpedoes, but we can build you some chemically-powered missiles easily enough.  Heck, fusion rockets?  Maybe a couple drone autonomous kill vehicles to supplement them.  Long term repairs are an issue, yes, but you’ve got massive amounts of crew quarters meant for you giants.  Kerbals are smaller, use less resources, and amenable to cryosleep.  So, what about volunteers?  Say, maybe a couple hundred Kerbals?  Heck, with cryo, we may even be able to pack a few hundred aboard.  You’ve got plenty of room for snacks, that spiffy garden aboard, and room for some serious hydroponics.  Yeah, you’d kind of end up a Kerbal generation shop but, hey, neat bonus, we can get a bunch of Kerbals and Kerbal genetic material out of this corner of the galaxy, and do it faster than using our own ships.  Besides, with how slow Diana’s going to be, Dee, we may be able to catch up to you in a few decades, and help you the rest of the way home.” 

Dee just stared at Jebediah.  Over the loudspeaker, Diana flatly said, “What.”

"Ladies," he said, smiling, “the two of you opened up the galaxy to us.  You let us know that not every alien life form is another Kebthulhu, and by killing it, you cleared the way for us to explore beyond our own star system.  I don’t know that we can ever repay you for that, but we’re damned well going to try.”

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 03 November 2017, 05:12:14 »
BFR? Not an acronym that I have seen before.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 03 November 2017, 11:25:20 »
BFR? Not an acronym that I have seen before.

Big...um...Friendly Rocket.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :D ;D

Note in Real Life(TM), BFR is actually the developmental name for Space-X's giant Mars rocket.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #102 on: 03 November 2017, 17:41:16 »
an update to this story is LONG over due...

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #103 on: 05 November 2017, 00:22:24 »
You know... i was skeptical, but so far it has been a fun read  [blank]

richard3116

• Recruit
« Reply #104 on: 07 November 2017, 05:23:39 »
Like it a lot!

-Sorry the only way on this board to let you know I'm enjoying this is a post-

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #105 on: 16 November 2017, 15:21:11 »
nice to updates and the kerbils going into space one a star trek ship...their goes the galaxy for sure......and turning into a generaional ship at at that....
nice to see an update to this funny story.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #106 on: 16 November 2017, 21:44:29 »
Nice. And I note you brought to Kerebals back using the Alien Generator.
M. T. Thompson

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #107 on: 07 December 2017, 20:27:43 »
I wanna see a cloaked Kerebal Bird-of-Prey in action!!

Good read...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #108 on: 16 September 2018, 21:01:29 »
anything worth updating?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 17 September 2018, 10:55:05 »
Still WIP. Past 6 months I've taken two work trips to Wisconsin, sold my condo, moved into an apartment while my wife and I looked for a house, which we found, and are closing on in less than 2 weeks, all while also getting my VW Bug running again after a year of being down, and the VW Fastback I bought running again for the first time in about 24 years (of which I've owned it 5..."running when parked" my ass...).  Oh, and I learned to play the ukulele,and swapped from Windows Phone to Android which has been very discombobulating, given I do about half my writing on my phone.

So, things have been a little busy. I haven't even opened STO or KSP since my April work trip. Neither this nor my Syberia story are abandoned, and I have bits and pieces of their next chapters floating around at various stages of completion at the moment.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: 17 September 2018, 13:36:45 »
In other words, you're busy living your life, mate :)

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 20 May 2019, 03:00:24 »
USS Diana, Captain’s Log
Stardate  17616.71 (2271-12-31 18:50:12)
Day 871 of Mission

The Kerbals continue to assist with repairing the ship’s critical systems that are within their ability to repair, and Diana M-5 and I continue to have discussions on how best to modify the Diana to complete our return to Federation territory while simultaneously supporting an additional crew of Kerbals while doing so.  You wouldn’t think, at first glance, that space would be a significant problem: after all, the Diana, like other Hermes and Saladin class starships, can support a crew of 200 without issue.

But looks can be deceiving.  While we have half the crew of the larger Constitution class starships, but an essentially identical saucer section, both the Saladin class destroyers and their Hermes class siblings like the Diana lose the secondary hull entirely.  And it’s not just crew supplies that need to be crammed into the saucer section, but spare parts, repair equipment and tools, shuttle bays, fuel, including both matter and antimatter, and anything else we might happen to need along the way.  This has always put a straightjacket on our deployment range, enough so that we have to have supply tugs following us on long engagements.

The other problem, though, is one of time: while the big cruisers like the Enterprise and her sisters go out and boldly go where no one has gone before, the Saladin class destroyers are busy boldly staying, and protecting Federation territory, and the Hermes class scouts are either timidly going where someone has gone before to follow up on the big discoveries, or playing eyes and ears for the rest of the fleet, with friendly support not far away.  Neither scouts nor destroyers like the Hermes class or Saladin class tend to go galivanting about on five-year missions without resupply.  That gets left to the cruisers.

But being on our own for a century, without support, without supply lines, with only what we can carry with us, scrounge up on our own, or obtain from anyone we meet along the way?  Even the vaunted Constitution class heavy cruisers would find that an almost impossible task.

The good news is the Kerbals and I tend to both believe there’s no such thing as the impossible, just the really, really improbable.  And while their solution of “more struts” and “more boosters” doesn’t seem to apply at first glance, maybe they’re on to something: we need to haul more stuff, so why not add more space?
That does leave the question of how to pull it off, of course.  The Kerbals don’t exactly have much experience with the advanced materials used in the construction of Starfleet vessels, but the repairs on the Diana are helping in that regard.  We may not be able to turn the ship into a full Constitution class, but a refit along the lines of the USS Kelvin may not be impossible.

M-5 Computer (“Diana”), Personal Log
Stardate  17665.62 (2272-01-07 13:31:22)
Day 878 of Mission

I am beginning to question my decision to cede command of the USS Diana to my android counterpart.  She has proposed a plan to refit my hull using the experimental refit done to the USS Kelvin as an example, by having the Kerbals build what is, essentially, a Constitution class secondary hull and interconnecting neck segment, then tacking these on to the top of my primary hull above the engineering decks, mirroring the way our cruiser cousins mount their secondary hull, in order to, like the Kelvin, gain additional space for crew, supplies and fuel to extend our operational range.

Lieutenant Dee Haines is confident the Kerbals will prove up to the challenge of building a viable secondary hull that will not snap off the first time we go to quarter impulse, let alone full warp, and she cites the general successes that the Kelvin has had as her prime example.  Kerbal engineers, including Lobles Kerman, believe that it will be possible to successfully build a secondary hull in six months.  General Jebediah Kerman agrees, and is prepared to devote a significant amount of their space program’s resources to its production.  Kerbol’s leading warp scientists, Miguel Kerman and Kelcubierre Kerman, are both confident they can ensure the results are balanced in warp flight.

I do not doubt the enthusiasm, or even talent, of Kerbol’s engineers and scientists.  Their sanity, however, is another matter entirely.  I believe both Dee and the Kerbals underestimate the significant difficulty involved in implementing this plan.  My own efforts of calculating the odds of success have proven problematic, due to the difficulties involved, but they are not promising.

However low the odds of success are, though, Dee is absolutely correct that success here will greatly improve the odds of success of eventually returning to Federation space.  For that reason, I will continue to support this plan, and hopefully provide a voice of reason, in the hopes of curtailing the characteristic Kerbal over-exuberance.

Conference Room, USS Diana, Stardate 18033.46 (2272-02-27 13:11:04)

“Oh come on,” Jebediah groaned, “it’s not that bad, is it?”

{“No, General.”} Diana M-5 agreed with the Kerbal.  {“With these design modifications, I predict only a 47% chance of structural collapse the first time we transition to warp speed.”}

“See?  Improvement!”

Dee shook her head.  “I’d rather not have a 53% chance of our secondary hull flying off, probably smacking our one warp nacelle, and causing us to abruptly crash-transition back to sub-light speeds.  Messily, with bits of our ship spread from hell to breakfast.  What do we need to keep that from happening?”

Jebediah and Lobles both stared at one another for a few moments, before Jeb spoke up.  “More struts?”

Lobles nodded in agreement.  “More struts.”

{“I see no way this can go badly.”}

USS Diana, Captain’s Log, Stardate 18451.66 (2272-04-25 12:19:35)

Construction of our new dorsal connector is coming along nicely, aided by our own DRDs and microgravity repair drones, and having the ventral-side connector to our warp nacelle to use as an example.  While we’ve got a long road before we’re finished, and this is obviously delaying our mission, the end result should definitely be worthwhile.

One thing both Diana and I have learned in our time with the Kerbals is that there are two basic schools of engineering thought here.  One boils down to “anything worth doing is worth overdoing”, which tends to result in robust, over-engineered “more struts” designs.  The other school of thought, which the famous Jebediah Kerman tends to lapse into, is that safety margins are just silly – hence, the “more boosters” designs I mentioned in earlier log entries.  Today, we definitely seem to have encountered the latter.

Conference Room, USS Diana

“You want to what?” Dee Haines gasped.

Miguel Kerman shrugged, and pointed at the diagram on his tablet again. “I want to either add more warp coils to your impulse engines or, as an alternative, add two of our own linear warp engine prototypes to your primary hull.”

“That’s what I thought you said.  What, as backup to our own warp engine?” asked Dee.

“Well, maybe that, too.  But you might be able to go faster running them alongside your own.”

The ship’s M-5, Diana, interjected, {“We may also find our warp field horribly imbalanced and tear ourselves to microscopic fragments spread across several light years of space, too.}

“That’s…true,” Miguel admitted, “but I think we can keep it balanced, especially if we’re just tweaking the warp coils in your impulse drive.  I don’t think you’ll be able to go much more than five to eight times the speed of light by itself, but the good news is you could do it running off fusion, rather than antimatter.”

Dee nodded.  “So, warp 1.7 to 2, maybe.  If we can make it work, that’d make a nice backup system.  Diana, run some simulations to see if we can make that work, both standalone and in conjunction with our current warp engine.”

{“This business will get out of control.  It will get out of control, and we’ll be lucky to live through it.”}

“So noted.”

M-5 Computer (“Diana”), Personal Log, Stardate 19007.09 (2272-07-11 12:00:00)

Work on our new secondary hull is progressing: the primary structural frames are completed, the outer hull is 47% complete, and fitting internal rooms is underway.  Analysis of Kerbal construction efforts indicate that, combined with our own structural integrity field generators, they’ve solved the structural integrity issues, and the secondary hull will not collapse like a broken balloon the first time we accelerate.

However, despite numerous simulations and additional testing, we have established that modifying the impulse engines for sustained warp flight, in conjunction with our existing warp drive, is a terrible idea, and one we should never attempt.  It does not matter what the Kerbals say, there is no way we’re going to be able to add enough struts to make that work without significant risk of tearing our ship apart.

Which, of course, means Captain Haines has decided to proceed with modifications.

Bridge, USS Diana

Dee sat in the captain’s chair, gesturing vaguely at the viewscreen.  “Hear me out, Diana.”

{“Hear you out?  Captain, this is insane.  If we try using this, we’re going to blow ourselves up.”}

“No, we won’t,” Dee disagreed, “not if we use it only in emergencies, as a backup system.  The simulations were pretty consistent, weren’t they? If we ever lose the main nacelle and our secondary hull, we’re balanced just fine, and can run with just the modified impulse engine without tearing ourselves apart.  If we’ve got the secondary hull and warp nacelle still attached, as long as you’re balancing the warp field, we can run for short distances without tearing ourselves apart.  It’s a good thing to have for backups or emergencies, and we’re very far away from home: the more backups and redundancies we have, the better.”

{“You think we’ll find ourselves in a situation where we’ll lose both our current warp drive and our secondary hull, but not get destroyed?”}

Rubbing her hand on her forehead in a psychosomatic gesture (she couldn’t really get a headache, at least not physically), Dee sighed.  “I think it’s a possibility. I mean, look at everything that’s gone wrong so far.  When things fail for us, they don’t kill us, do they?”

{“No,”} Diana agreed, {“they fail in whatever way is going to annoy us the most.  So, outboard impulse engines?  Leave the inboard ones alone?”}

Dee nodded.  “That’s the plan.  I’m actually glad we never got the 2260 refit like the Enterprise did.  We’re actually better off with four smaller impulse engines versus two bigger ones.  More redundancy.”

{“Which, of course, brings me to the next question: we are going to be fitting cryotubes for the Kerbals, aren’t we?”}

“Of course.  I’m even thinking of stashing them in their actual quarters, rather than trying to repurpose a cargo bay or something, if there’s enough power.”

{“I’ve looked over the specs they sent over, and there shouldn’t be any issues, and since Kerbals are half the size of a human or Vulcan, there should be sufficient space.  We just need the time it will take to install them and modify the furnishings.  I’m told they’ve finalized a design, and Lobles insists on overseeing their installation himself.  He figures if he’s going to be living here, he wants to make sure they’re done right.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him.”}

“What, that Jeb’s probably going to keep him here, since he’s still their most experienced warp engineer?” Dee asked, then shrugged.  “They’re getting a lot of testing out of the Just Testing, though, and they’re just about done with their new warp vessel, which is a wee bit bigger, as Scotty would say.  They plan to use it for testing and training new crews.”

{“Have they settled on a name?”}

“Yep,” Dee laughed.  “The KSS Just Read the Instructions.}

USS Diana, Captain’s Log, Stardate 19815.50 (2272-10-31 13:13:13)

It’s been over a year since our battle with “Kebthulhu”, and First Contact with the Kerbals.  Overall, despite the additional damage we’ve suffered, it’s been a fascinating, frustrating, amusing, frightening, wonderful experience working and interacting with the Kerbals, and seeing the enthusiasm they bring to everything they do.  However, while there’s still work to be done here to get us ready for our journey, I can’t help but feel our time here in the Kerbol system is nearly at an end.

Work on our secondary hull has been completed, and we’ve successfully connected it atop our saucer section.  While we still only have a single phaser bank, we’ve added a handful of plasma cannon turrets across the ship, as well as primitive missile tubes in our secondary hull to supplement our offensive capabilities.  A number of our more advanced systems, such as deflector shields, still elude the Kerbals, but they’ve been able to help us with more retrograde gear, like polarized hull armor plates.  Additional tooling and compact manufacturing gear has also been included, as well as some absolutely ingenious mining and refinery gear designed by the Kerbals for their own asteroid and lunar mining operations.

A crew of two hundred Kerbal volunteers have been selected, giving us a full science and engineering crew, as well as supplemental pilots, security and operational support.  While they’re behind the curve of Federation scientific and engineering knowledge, they’re working to get up to speed, and the thought of flying what’s essentially going to be a very, very long cadet cruise both amuses and horrifies Diana and I.

We’ve begun working with our new crew to prepare for our next mission: a ten-month journey to what appears to be a Dyson sphere, just over 32 light-years away.  Hopefully, we’ll see a continuation of our good fortune, and we’ll be able to obtain additional technical assistance, as any species so advanced as to be able to build megastructures like a Dyson sphere should be both highly advanced and generally peaceful.

Ship’s Log, Supplemental, M-5 Computer (“Diana”) Reporting

I have a bad feeling about this…

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: 20 May 2019, 07:17:12 »
*claps* Now if you could provide pics (nude pics of the USS Diana), that would be great

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #113 on: 20 May 2019, 13:41:43 »
And now for something a bit spoilery, an attached image showing the USS Diana, Dee, and her bridge crew from the early 25th Century.

Is that the 'future' SS Diana?  Because that looks a lot like a Connie, and not a Saladin/Hermes, with only a single nacelle where the engineering hull would be.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #114 on: 20 May 2019, 16:49:02 »
Ship’s Log, Supplemental, M-5 Computer (“Diana”) Reporting

I have a bad feeling about this…

You should be more mindful of the present, Padawan.

So, is this kind of foreshadowing actually going to bring them into a galaxy far, far away?  Or, are we just borrowing a common line from that space opera?  ^-^

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 20 May 2019, 19:02:30 »
*claps* Now if you could provide pics (nude pics of the USS Diana), that would be great

Are we not doing phrasing anymore?  ???

Is that the 'future' SS Diana?  Because that looks a lot like a Connie, and not a Saladin/Hermes, with only a single nacelle where the engineering hull would be.

That's future USS Diana, along with Dee and her merry band of miscreants, including a couple transfer officers Starfleet assigned to the ship.

Right now, the starship Diana looks *mostly* like the attached picture, with a couple of exceptions: there is a big sensor/comm dish on the secondary hull where you see it in the picture, but the original sensor dish on the underside of the primary hull, as in the side-view of the original spec drawing, is still present as well.

You should be more mindful of the present, Padawan.

So, is this kind of foreshadowing actually going to bring them into a galaxy far, far away?  Or, are we just borrowing a common line from that space opera?  ^-^

Not planning on crossing over with Star Wars, nope.  The M-5's merely borrowing a well-known line.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 20 May 2019, 20:45:57 »
Crud, something else that just occurred to me: while this story obviously includes elements of the original Star Trek series (as well as other Trek series elements), and a bit of Kerbal Space Program, the game Star Trek Online will heavily feature as well. There's just one problem, as my earlier screenshot form the game illustrates: there's no Franz Joseph ships, like the Saladin/Hermes classes, in Star Trek Online, which should make it really interesting when the Diana makes it back to Federation space...

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 21 May 2019, 08:16:11 »
Well, that's bizarre. It's in every other Trek game I've seen dealing with the era.  Although, they are stand-alone.

I like the look.  What the Kelvin should have looked like. It would make sense as an early deep exploration vessel before they came up with the Constitution Class.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 21 May 2019, 13:46:08 »
pretty much every other game dealing with the era is actually derived from the Star Fleet Battles license, not the official trek license. STO is official trek license only.

SFB is technically only legally able to use the Franz Joseph technical manual and parts of TOS and the animated series.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #119 on: 23 May 2019, 15:25:47 »
nice to see this back in action.

Register