Author Topic: Canopian Battalion  (Read 4423 times)

Generalripphook

• Corporal
Canopian Battalion
« on: 02 December 2016, 17:20:54 »
So I used the random mech generator to generate a battalion so I could have some goals for collecting miniatures. I used the Classic Battletech Field Manual so 3065?

Since it was random I am gonna have some mechs in lances that dont really have optimal configurations of weapons so I was wondering how people would suggest swapping mechs between lances to make it more battle efficient.

The equipment ratings are before the lance types along with the lance composition I randomly generated.

Company 1
    C- Light Lance (3 L,1 M)
      COM-2d Commando
      JVN-10N Javelin
      JVN-10N Javelin
                ASN-21 Assassin
   C- Medium Lance  (4 M)
      HBK-4G Hunchback
      TBT-5N Trebuchet
      ASN-21 Assassin
      BJ-1 BlackJack
   B- Medium Lance  (4 M)
      BJ-2 Blackjack
      CDA-2A Cicada
      HBK-4P Hunchback
      VND-3L Vindicator
Company 2
   C- Light Lance (2 L, 2 M)
      JVN-10N Javelin
      COM-2D Commando
      HBK-4G Hunchback
      BJ-1 Blackjack
   C- Medium Lance (4 M)
      HBK-4G Hunchback
      TBT-5N Trebuchet
      WTH-1 Whitworth
      VL-2T Vulcan
   C- Heavy Lance (4 H)
      CPLT-C4 Catapult
      CPLT-C1 Catapult
      JM6-S JagerMech
      BL7-KNT Black Knight
Company 3

A-   Light Lance (2 L, 2 M)
ZPH-1A Tarantula
RVN-3L Raven
HUR-R4L Huron Warrior
MHL-2L Marshal

A-   Heavy Lance (3 H, 1 A)
WR-DG-02-FC War Dog
GHR-5j Grasshopper
ON1-M Orion
LGB-7Q Longbow

B-   Heavy Lance (3 H,1 A)
CP-11-A Cyclops
THR-1L Thunder
ON1-K Orion
CTF-2X Cataphract

Any help is appreciated.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Canopian Battalion
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2016, 08:04:42 »
You can also use units made in the FWL and Capellan Confederation.  Remember that the MoC makes Marauders, Shadowhawks, Locusts, Wasps, and Stingers.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2016, 10:24:37 »
The lances don't look too bad off hand, even some of the odd Hunchbacks in could be used as bodyguards for the various other units.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2016, 11:01:27 »
So I used the random mech generator to generate a battalion so I could have some goals for collecting miniatures. I used the Classic Battletech Field Manual so 3065?

Since it was random I am gonna have some mechs in lances that dont really have optimal configurations of weapons so I was wondering how people would suggest swapping mechs between lances to make it more battle efficient.

The equipment ratings are before the lance types along with the lance composition I randomly generated.

Any help is appreciated.

Reorganized for focus in the lances.

Alpha Company

Siege Lance
LGB-7Q Longbow
WR-DG-02-FC War Dog
ON1-M Orion
ON1-K Orion

Air Defense Lance
JM6-S JagerMech
BJ-1 BlackJack
BJ-1 Blackjack
BJ-2 Blackjack

Striker Lance
VL-2T Vulcan
JVN-10N Javelin
JVN-10N Javelin
JVN-10N Javelin

Bravo Company

Attack Lance
BL7-KNT Black Knight
CTF-2X Cataphract
GHR-5j Grasshopper
MHL-2L Marshal

Fire Lance
CPLT-C1 Catapult
CPLT-C4 Catapult
VND-3L Vindicator
WTH-1 Whitworth

Recon Lance
ASN-21 Assassin
ASN-21 Assassin
CDA-2A Cicada
ZPH-1A Tarantula

Charlie Company

Command Lance
CP-11-A Cyclops
THR-1L Thunder
TBT-5N Trebuchet
TBT-5N Trebuchet

Urban Assault Lance
HBK-4P Hunchback
HBK-4G Hunchback
HBK-4G Hunchback
HBK-4G Hunchback

Scout Lance
HUR-R4L Huron Warrior
RVN-3L Raven
COM-2D Commando
COM-2D Commando

I tried to give each company 1 lance with LRMs,  1 Lance with some Speed, and 1 Lance that can get in your face...... sometimes those roles are in the same lance (Striker).
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2016, 13:16:59 »
This is what I came up with given what you have available:

1st Company: (BV2: 13,313, PV: 328)
Pursuit Lance: Trebuchet TBT-5N, Javelin JVN-10N, Commando COM-2D, Commando COM-2D
Battle Lance: Black Knight BL7-KNT, War Dog WR-DG-02-FC, Hunchback HBK-4G, Blackjack BJ-1
Command Lance: Cyclops CP-11-A, Orion ON1-M, Huron Warrior HUR-WO-R4L, Raven RVN-3L

2nd Company: (BV2: 12,730, PV: 335)
Pursuit Lance: Marshal MHL-2L, Assassin ASN-21, Javelin JVN-10N, Tarantula ZPH-1A
Battle Lance: Grasshopper GHR-5J, Thunder THR-1L, Hunchback HBK-4G, Blackjack BJ-1
Fire Lance: Catapult CPLT-C4, Blackjack BJ-2, Vindicator VND-3L, Whitworth WTH-1

3rd Company: (BV2: 12,705, PV: 334)
Pursuit Lance: Assassin ASN-21, Cicada CDA-2A, Vulcan VL-2T, Javelin JVN-10N
Battle Lance: Orion ON1-K, Cataphract CTF-2X, Hunchback HBK-4G, Hunchback HBK-4P
Fire Lance: Longbow LGB-7Q, Catapult CPLT-C1, JagerMech JM6-S, Trebuchet TBT-5N

Here's my thought process behind this arrangement:

First, I start with a few rules:
* I conform to the formation rules in Alpha Strike Companion and/or Campaign Operations if at all possible.
* Every company must be relatively self sufficient.  This means each company should, if possible, have a pursuit or recon lance, an assault or battle lance, and either a cavalry or fire lance.  A command lance may take the place of any of these.

I created a spreadsheet of all of the 'Mechs and their Alpha Strike statistics.  Even if you plan on playing using Total Warfare instead, I believe balancing using the Alpha Strike statistics will get you most of the way there.

Under the formation rules, each lance time has to conform to certain rules.
* Battle lance: 2 'Mechs (50%) must be heavy or larger.  At least 3 'Mechs must have the Brawler, Sniper, and/or Skirmisher roles.
* Command lance: 2 'Mechs (50%) must have the Sniper, Missile Boat, Skirmisher, and/or Juggernaut roles and at least one 'Mech has to have the Brawler, Striker, or Scout role.
* Fire lance: 3 'Mechs (75%) must have the Missile Boat and/or Sniper roles.
* Pursuit lance: All 'Mechs must be small or medium.  3 'Mechs (75%) must have a move of at least 12" (TW: walking MP 6 or higher) and at least 1 'Mech must have a Medium-range attack value over 1 point (TW: at least 1 'Mech must have a weapon that can deal 5+ damage at a range of 15 hexes or more).

Looking at the list of 'Mechs, I see there are 'Mechs that have obvious places to be.  The Hunchbacks will all go in battle lances.  The 'Mechs that move at least 12" (6 walk MP) will go in pursuit lances (although I might move the Raven later.).  The Longbow and JagerMech will go in a fire lance.  Somewhat arbitrarily, I decide the Cyclops is probably the CO's 'Mech and it will go in the command lance.  (The Cyclops is fluffed as being a command 'Mech.)

To satisfy the requirements for battle lances, I have to assign 2 heavy 'Mechs to each lance.  Excluding the Catapults, there are 7 heavy 'Mechs so this should be easy.  I'll hold back the Orion ON1-M for the moment.  The ON1-M mounts an LB-X autocannon and would probably go well with any holes opened up with a Gauss rifle, which would be the War Dog, Huron Warrior or the CO's Cyclops.

Most of the remaining 'Mechs have a Long-range attack value of at least 2 so I believe they'd be reasonable members of fire lances.  The only exceptions are the BJ-1 Blackjacks and the Marshal.  I put the BJ-1 Blackjacks in the open spots in the battle lances and the Marshal into the current open spot in a pursuit lance.  The Marshal is slower than I would like for a pursuit lance but it might be able to keep up in broken terrain since it has a jumping move of 8" (TW: jumping MP of 4).

The Raven is the one 'Mech that has an Active Probe.  I figure the CO is probably paranoid of ambushes so he'd want to keep it close.  That opens up a spot in a pursuit lance that I grudgingly fill with a Trebuchet.  It'll slow down the lance but it'll probably have more firepower than anything they encounter.  (Another option would be to assign the Huron Warrior but I have a plan for that.)

I assign the Huron Warrior and the Orion ON1-M to the command lance to fill it out.  Both are decent long range fighters and, if the Orion closes, it should be able to exploit any holes opened by the Gauss rifles.  Admittedly, the Orion's Narc beacon will probably go unused but it's more a deterrent than an active weapon.

This leaves six 'Mechs.  Of these, five jump for 8" (TW: jumping MP of 4).  I group four of these (the Blackjack BJ-2. Vindicator, Whitworth, and Catapult CPLT-C4) and make a lance.  The two remaining 'Mechs, the last Trebuchet and the Catapult CPLT-C1, join the Longbow and JagerMech.

That takes care of all of the 'Mechs.

If I had the option, I would replace one of the Hunchbacks and one of the Trebuchets with 5/8/5 (or faster) 'Mechs for better fits in the pursuit lances.  (This would move the Marshal into a battle lance.)  Looking solely the RATs in Field Manual: Periphery, the the Dervish DV-6M looks like the one reasonable option.   Using the MUL opens up more options, even if keeping the tech level the same, including the Phoenix Hawk PXH-1, Griffin GRF-1N, and the Enforcer ENF-4R.

If I made that change, I would also consider replacing a heavy 'Mech with one that jumps (I'm partial to the Guillotine) and then rearranging the 2nd company so every 'Mech in it could jump.  This company should then excel in broken terrain against forces that aren't equipped similarly.

If you would like to explore other options, take a look at the MUL to see what the Magistracy would have available.

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2016, 10:34:25 »
Remember that standard Canopian Combat Doctrine is to engage your Mechs at extreme range. Objective is to damage the enemy enough for the tanks/infantry to finish them off.

I suggest keeping all ranged Mechs together with one bodyguard lance as a blocking force.

Generalripphook

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2016, 14:17:58 »
Thanks! Thats helps a lot, I am thinking of planing purchases out to a regiment but I want some semblance of order and efficiency and fluff along with models that I have.

@Xiwo would there be anyway to snag that spreadsheet from you?

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2016, 17:17:25 »
@Xiwo would there be anyway to snag that spreadsheet from you?
Sure!  Here you go.

Register