Author Topic: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets  (Read 41189 times)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets
« Reply #150 on: 24 February 2018, 01:10:39 »
When is the trade deadline this year?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #151 on: 24 February 2018, 21:31:10 »
Monday, 3 p.m. EDT.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #152 on: 24 February 2018, 22:01:15 »
Interesting decision against Bruins for Maple Leafs that saw decision on ice stand against a Coach Challenge for goal interference with 1:30 left in 3rd Period
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #153 on: 25 February 2018, 13:15:27 »
Rick Nash to the Bruins this morning for a haul.  Per Yahoo:

The Bruins have acquired Rick Nash from the New York Rangers for a 2018 first-round pick, a 2019 seventh-round pick, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Spooner and the rights to Ryan Lindgren. The Rangers will retain 50 percent of Nash’s salary (a UFA this summer), while the Bruins are retaining half of Beleskey’s salary (his contract runs through 2020-21 season).

Looks great for the Rangers.  I will withhold comment on the majority Bruins part.  Nash wasn't going to be there after this season and his production has certainly dropped off considerably from the beginning of his contract.  First round pick and Ryan Spooner is a good return.  Bruins got rid of Beleskey's awful contract, but still have to pay something toward it for the next few seasons.

More importantly does this do enough for them to overtake Toronto and Tampa Bay to possibly win the division?  The answer to that is no, it probably does not. Rd 1 looks like Toronto v Boston and the winner of that series is going to be determined on the goalies. 

Interesting decision against Bruins for Maple Leafs that saw decision on ice stand against a Coach Challenge for goal interference with 1:30 left in 3rd Period
Why?  There was no interference on the play.  In the 5 to 10 seconds leading into play the Toronto player at no time touched Rask.  Chara boxed out his man and Rask was out of position going from side to side to make the save.  The only player that could have interfered with him was Chara at the time and that isn't a call to be made.

The Wild have managed to claw themselves up to #3 spot in the Central. not a lot of points separate them and the 4 next teams though. At least this year we wont have to worry about the Blackhawks exiting us in the first round.
I picked them last year to get out of the first round.  I can't this year.  Dubnyk is going to carry these guys if they are going to get anywhere this year.  Their offense isn't all that great.  Yes they have had injuries all year long, but they just don't have anyone that scares you is going to get sizzling hot.  None of their first round options are palatable.  If they stay in that 3rd slot they have to take the worse of the Preds or Jets and that's isn't really that good of an option.  If they drop to the wild card they play the better team, which is Vegas.  The only good chance to avoid either of those teams would be to go off on a 15 game win streak and somehow surpass all three teams which won't happen.  Minnesota at this point just has to many role players (Winnik, Cullen, Foligno) and not enough scoring punch.  As much as one would like to see Parise turn it on, I think he is more likely than not going to anchor and weight this team down for the remaining years on his contract.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #154 on: 25 February 2018, 13:27:33 »
Brian Gionta signed to the Bruins.

3 team trade between the CBJ, Edmonton, and Nashville:

The Columbus Blue Jackets have reacquired Mark Letestu in a three-team trade that landed Pontus Aberg with the Edmonton Oilers.

The Nashville Predators, the third team in the deal, received a 2018 fourth-round draft pick from the Oilers

and finally

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired veteran center Tomas Plekanec and forward prospect Kyle Baun from the Montreal Canadiens for defenseman Rinat Valiev, forward Kerby Rychel and Toronto's second-round draft pick in 2018.

That last one doesn't blow me away, but the fact to Leafs and the Habs did a deal is kinda surprising.  This makes me wonder exactly how hurt Matthews might be.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #155 on: 27 February 2018, 00:53:51 »
With the trade deadline come and gone I have to once move applaud Steve Yzerman.  Landing both Mcdonagh and an J.T. Miller for Namestnikov and picks was a great deal and more cost effective then it would have been to get Karlsson from Ottawa.  The Rangers shaved quite a bit off their cap hit going forward and still have a decent core of forward that aren't over the hill and 3 first rounders and 2 2nd rounders for this year's draft.  That's not a bad haul.

Poor old Ottawa really didn't do that well at the deadline.  They got rid of Cole for player and pick in 2020!  Karlsson is still there, but the package in what they were looking for just wasn't there.  Then again if the rumor is true that any trade for Karlsson also had to take Bobby Ryan it is pretty easy to see why no one in their right mind would have traded for Karlsson.  The 7.25 mil noose was a poison pill very few teams could financial handle.  This team has quite a bit of talent that could catch fire, but the franchise is poison.

Golden Knights traded for Thomas Tatar and the Wings get back a 1st rounder.  On the surface this looks pretty meh on the Detroit side and a decent move on Vegas part to get a little bit more offense from a vet for a playoff run that may have the VGK win more than 1 round.

On the Detroit side of things they are stacked with crappy loyalty contract for guys who are on the downside of their career.  On the plus side, Tatar made 5.3 on the cap and Green will be gone at the end of the seasons so that's 11 million saved.  Green wasn't going anywhere he didn't want to so can't really fault the Wings for not being able to move him.

The Kniggets only questionable move here is being left without a 1st rounder in this year's draft.  If they flounder next year then this move will likely be considered another Martin Erat type blunder.  Vegas has about 20 million coming off the cap from UFAs they may or may not be able to sign next year.  Tatar puts a 5.3 million back on the cap when either one or both of James Neal and Grabovski drop off it.  That solves an issue of having to potentially deal with hitting the cap floor.  Tartar has generally been good for 20 goals a season.  Though 5.3 million is a little rich for a 20/20 guy (at least for me) the price is controlled for 4 years.  That should be a blessing with rising salaries and the fact they have to pay Karlsson a modest, but controled raise.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #156 on: 04 March 2018, 05:09:16 »
Well Hellbie, looks like your boys have taken the season series against the Habs this year.  Congratulations.  But not much of a rivalry anymore if it's going to be so one-sided.

One thing I do have to comment on is Antti Niemi.  In what has largely been a lost season for the team, being traded to Montreal seems to have rejuvenated him.  For a guy who was supposed to be a porous cheesecloth who couldn't stop a beach ball anymore, he has stood tall in almost every game and given the team a fighting chance to win.  He has had only one bad game where he was yanked.  And I have to say, from all reports, the team has played better in front of him than they have in front of Price.  He's been one of the few bright spots in a season every Habs fan (not to mention the team!) can't forget fast enough.  If he can keep this up, I would say he's actually been good enough that the combination of him and Charlie Lindgren makes Price expendable.  But there is no way the Habs are moving that lead anchor of a contract.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #157 on: 08 March 2018, 22:24:11 »
Minor league gimicking at its finest.

https://sports.yahoo.com/minor-hockey-league-pick-playoff-opponent-format-073638090--nhl.html

"The minor league that brought 3-on-3 overtime to hockey more than a decade before the NHL followed suit is adding a new innovation this season for the playoffs.

The Southern Professional Hockey League will use a ''pick your opponent'' playoff format, with the first-place team choosing its first-round opponent from the teams that finished from fifth to eighth place, then the second- and third-place teams makes their choices before the final two teams get matched up. In the second round, teams will be matched by regular-season points."

I mean honestly who wouldn't pick the bottom feeder?  At least it is good for a little promotion and entertainment value.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: 08 March 2018, 23:34:18 »
What kind of team gets 40 shots on goal and still manages to lose 5-0?

cheers,

Gabe

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #159 on: 09 March 2018, 21:11:04 »

cheers,

Gabe

The Wild, Game 1 of the playoffs last year... The game where Allen was pretty much blocking every imaginable shot.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #160 on: 10 March 2018, 15:36:42 »

cheers,

Gabe
How about taking 54 shots and losing 4-1 in the playoffs? http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20092010/GS030116.HTM
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #161 on: 14 March 2018, 22:35:43 »
None of these have anything over Ron Tugnutt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHJ99HSVhM

Bonus video:  Great homer moments in sportscaster broad casting:  https://sports.yahoo.com/carolina-broadcaster-delivers-legendary-hurricanes-recap-despite-loss-173315522.html

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #162 on: 22 March 2018, 12:45:50 »
Good news: With their point in the standings from last night's OT loss to the Blues, the Bruins are now locked into a playoff spot- with first in the East still a legitimate possibility (though I'm pretty well betting on that second seed and Toronto in round 1)

Bad news: The injury bug has bit at the worst possible time. Bergeron, Chara, Krug, MacAvoy, DeBrusk, Rask (that may have simply been a rest night, but there's some belief he's not 100%)... as they are right now, I wouldn't pick them to win four games against Toronto getting Mathews back.

Great news: 2G/4P in two games for Donato, so the concerns that his Olympic breakout wouldn't translate to the NHL game are pretty well borked. Two games isn't much of a pattern to go on long-term, but when they've needed someone to spark them this kid has really done the job this week. (Which marks two years in a row that a late-season callup has been fantastic for the Bruins in his debut, following MacAvoy last season)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 22 March 2018, 15:24:51 »
Bergeron was on the ice twice this week from what I heard so might be starting recovery

Krug I think is a precaution rasks plated two and not top of game so could have been due a rest

Donato has been very impressive
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #164 on: 22 March 2018, 15:40:03 »
Bergeron was on the ice twice this week from what I heard so might be starting recovery

Krug I think is a precaution rasks plated two and not top of game so could have been due a rest

Donato has been very impressive

Yeah, I mean it sounds like the only one that might miss time after Game 82 is MacAvoy, and even that one is subject to his evaluation coming up, but it means going in with players already playing at less than 100% (because let's be honest, that's what they do when the playoffs start, play through anything short of broken legs). Not the best time to have guys pre-dinged up, especially key people like that.

Makes getting that first spot more important than ever- I don't know who the second wild-card team will be, there's several possibilities, but I'd rather see most of them than a finally-healthy Toronto. Stealing points down the stretch and making the games in-hand over Tampa into wins is absolutely vital- but, at least they're in no matter what now. (And just as importantly for diehard Boston fans, the Habs are eliminated.  >:D )

Also, if you haven't seen what Crosby did last night, look up his highlights. Seriously. I'm not a big Crosby fan, but any play where you score after batting the puck out of mid-air TWICE first is a hell of a play.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #165 on: 22 March 2018, 16:43:51 »
I agree with you that they need to turn the in hand games into wins the problem the Bruins have far is the schedule the last few months has been a game every two days some back to back and injuries fortunately it’s a team that seems to have lots of depth and the youngsters that have been added have worked

I’ve only got into this sport the last six months due to my girlfriend and it’s been worth it

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #166 on: 23 March 2018, 07:42:49 »
Oh man, then welcome! If you thought it was fun so far, you just wait- playoff hockey is a whole other animal, the energy is unreal. Half the league is about to go golfing, and we're going to be left with fifteen teams all desperate to win a Stanley Cup at all costs (yes, fifteen. Sixteen teams make the playoffs, fifteen want the Cup. Prove me wrong, Capitals.)

I can speak safely for NHL fans in-general when I say that we don't like the regular season. We tolerate it. It's the appetizer, an 82-game wait until the real season starts. And it's finally just about time.  :thumbsup:

+Crow T. Robot+

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 23 March 2018, 16:56:06 »
I’ve enjoyed it so far easy to get into and follow so far even if seeing games in UK can be a trial

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #168 on: 30 March 2018, 22:34:00 »
(yes, fifteen. Sixteen teams make the playoffs, fifteen want the Cup. Prove me wrong, Capitals.)
Hey now, it's still mathematically possible the Caps could tank our last 4 games and get our dream scenario and play the Bruins in the first round ;)  Philly just has to run the table and beat the Bruins in the process!

We can sign new super back up Scott Foster for the playoffs and we are set!

(for reference https://sports.yahoo.com/video/scott-foster-accountant-emergency-chicago-191503499.html)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #169 on: 02 April 2018, 10:26:11 »
Well now that my wild dream has been shattered here is hoping the Pens lose out and end up the second wild card and in the Atlantic draw.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #170 on: 02 April 2018, 21:38:16 »
Well its official the Sendins have decided they are going to retire after this season.  Sadly they will do so without having won the cup.  They will certainly go info the HOF when eligible in 2021 though.  One would guess they get their numbers retired next year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/two-kind-sedin-twins-retire-172609973.html

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #171 on: 03 April 2018, 08:05:03 »
Well its official the Sendins have decided they are going to retire after this season.  Sadly they will do so without having won the cup.  They will certainly go info the HOF when eligible in 2021 though.  One would guess they get their numbers retired next year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/two-kind-sedin-twins-retire-172609973.html

Sorry to see them go, but at least we'll always have their finest hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxHRMgJhBw

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #172 on: 07 April 2018, 05:26:51 »
Sad news out of Saskatchewan as bus carrying members of the Humboldt Broncos, a junior hockey league in the SJHL, was hit by a semi while they were on their way a playoff game. At least report there were 14 fatalities with another 14 people receiving medical care at a local hospital. No further details have been released at this time. This a sad day for hockey. My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives and  the injured. Godspeed to the injured as they recover from their injuries.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: 07 April 2018, 07:45:53 »
Hey, I just noticed Dallas isn't making the playoffs.

Hey there, Alex Radulov!  Bet your decision to jump ship from the Habs looks like it's paying off now, eh?
(Well, it's paying HIM off, whether the Stars make the playoffs or not.)

Seriously, even though this is about a year old now, I think a major factor in Radulov's decision not to re-sign with the Habs had a lot to do with the first-round exit against the Rags last year.  He probably looked around, realized that he and Carey Price were the only players routinely showing up for the games, decided that it just wasn't a very good core, and that he wanted to be on a team that had a better chance of advancing past the first round--and would lead him to greener pastures, too.

Well, he definitely found the greener pastures.  And he did surpass his totals with the Habs last year.  But if he really wanted to play for a contender...well...despite having much better linemates than he did last year, and a set-up defenceman extraordinaire in John Klingberg (seriously, nearly 60 points in assists ALONE???), this Stars team still came up rather short down the stretch.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: 07 April 2018, 10:31:43 »
Sad news out of Saskatchewan as bus carrying members of the Humboldt Broncos, a junior hockey league in the SJHL, was hit by a semi while they were on their way a playoff game. At least report there were 14 fatalities with another 14 people receiving medical care at a local hospital. No further details have been released at this time. This a sad day for hockey. My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives and  the injured. Godspeed to the injured as they recover from their injuries.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/nipawin-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4609554

no cheers for this one,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #175 on: 09 April 2018, 08:06:16 »
Eh, I think Radulov made the right move still. Dallas looked pretty solid to start the year, in terms of playoff chances- with Bishop on board, I sure figured they'd get in. They were one of the bigger surprises for me, as a result- I kind of expected the Chicago decline, but Dallas and St. Louis missing the postseason in favor of Colorado and Vegas getting in? Yeah, nope.

Radulov had a pretty solid year, but he can't stop goals- and neither could anyone else, as it turned out. Bishop wasn't consistently healthy- to me, that's the reason the Stars are cleaning out their locker room this morning instead of getting ready for the annual spring playoff slog. Give them more Bishop, and that dramatic Avs/Blues race to the finish might not have mattered at all.

(And let's be real, side note- how great was THAT? Yeah, it was for the honor of becoming the Predator's lunch, but still, it made for a great finish. And while we're at it, kudos to the Avs for being the worst team of the modern era, then making the playoffs one year later- despite having basically the same roster, give or take a mopey Duchene. Very impressed- anything that happens against the Preds is just a bonus at this point. I'll be interested to see if they build on this momentum next season).

More Hellbie playoff thoughts later today when I have a few spare minutes. I'm sure you're on the edge of your seats.

+Crow T. Robot+

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: 09 April 2018, 20:55:17 »
Well without Suter and Spurgeon I think that the Wild will be out in 6 games against the Jets.  The Jets were a team that had their number this year, They faired much better against Preds and Knights.  But in any regards without their top two Defensemen they weren't going far.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #177 on: 09 April 2018, 23:42:17 »
Sad news out of Saskatchewan as bus carrying members of the Humboldt Broncos, a junior hockey league in the SJHL, was hit by a semi while they were on their way a playoff game.

Thoughts and prayers are with those families.  By some coincidence about 24 hours earlier I was watching some Sendin highlights and contained within was one Pavol Demitra who passed away in he Lokomotiv tragedy.

Hey, I just noticed Dallas isn't making the playoffs.

Hey there, Alex Radulov!  Bet your decision to jump ship from the Habs looks like it's paying off now, eh?
(Well, it's paying HIM off, whether the Stars make the playoffs or not.)

Considering that Bergevin was probably low balling him an offer I'd say it was a good move on his part.  Speaking of Marc Bergevin, how does he still have owner support and his job?

He probably looked around, realized that he and Carey Price were the only players routinely showing up for the games, decided that it just wasn't a very good core, and that he wanted to be on a team that had a better chance of advancing past the first round--and would lead him to greener pastures, too.
I honestly felt the Habs would turn it around earlier in the year.  Price, however, isn't going to elevate this team up on his shoulder and a significant portion of this team just isn't cut from a better than average cloth.  They certainly aren't the worst team in the league and they should look at trading off assets and go into full rebuild, but we know that won't happen.  This year they have 4 2nd round picks with their own and one via a trade with Chicago making them both early picks.  That Tomas Fleischmann and Dale Weise might actually have good return on it rather than be an afterthought.

Eh, I think Radulov made the right move still. Dallas looked pretty solid to start the year, in terms of playoff chances- with Bishop on board, I sure figured they'd get in. They were one of the bigger surprises for me, as a result- I kind of expected the Chicago decline, but Dallas and St. Louis missing the postseason in favor of Colorado and Vegas getting in? Yeah, nope.
Bishop is certainly better than the platoon they had before.  At this point in his career I think his better days are behind him.  This year and last he has proven to be injury prone.  He's probably, at best, good for 50 or so games assuming they pick up a decent back up.  Johnathan Bernier and  Carter Hutton should both be available this off season and both could be signed for less than what Lehtonen made this season.

As much as they need a good back up as a net for Bishop, Dallas really needs defensive help.   The UFA market is pretty much average to junk with the exception of John Carlson and to a lesser extent Mike Green.  Green doesn't help out with defense all that well.  John Carlson on the other hand is set this off season to get paid.  As much as I'd like him to still be in Washington, I think that it is unlikely he will remain here.  Dallas looks like they have the cash to make a solid run at him and they should.

...that dramatic Avs/Blues race to the finish might not have mattered at all.

(And let's be real, side note- how great was THAT? Yeah, it was for the honor of becoming the Predator's lunch, but still, it made for a great finish. And while we're at it, kudos to the Avs for being the worst team of the modern era, then making the playoffs one year later- despite having basically the same roster, give or take a mopey Duchene. Very impressed- anything that happens against the Preds is just a bonus at this point. I'll be interested to see if they build on this momentum next season).
That was a great way to end a season.  If Johnson and Varlamov weren't out for the season I'd say Nashville might get a scare.  They still might if Nate Mckinnon decides to put on a show for the first round.  That I think is more wishful thinking on my part.  The fact that Duchene went from one hell to another amuses me.

Well without Suter and Spurgeon I think that the Wild will be out in 6 games against the Jets.  The Jets were a team that had their number this year, They faired much better against Preds and Knights.  But in any regards without their top two Defensemen they weren't going far.
The Jets/Thrasher's organization are going to get their first series win unless Dubnyk wills it to be otherwise.  While the team lacks any organizational success to stand on, they have depth and a solid #1 goaltender.  If Hellebuyck gets hurt and they have to rely on Steve Mason, that will be another matter entirely.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #178 on: 10 April 2018, 00:08:22 »
Having looked back on my preseason picks I was an absolute crack monkey.  I got one division winner right (hurray Tampa!) and only got remotely close with another.  6 teams I had on the outside looking in made the playoffs.  That alone should be enough evidence to prove my playoff prognostication to be total garbage.  Nonetheless, here are my picks for the first round!

Tampa over NJ in 4 games.
Toronto over Boston in 7 games.
Washington over Columbus in 6 games.
Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 5 games.

I picked the Leafs over the Bruins because I'm honestly at a point where I can't pick Rask to beat anyone in a game that matters.  Khudobin is a solid back up, but he's not going to be a difference maker.  The Leafs are a year removed from a decent series vs. Washington and Andersen is no slouch despite that 2.81 GAA.  It should be an entertaining series.

Caps over Columbus is a pick 'em and Washington was largely and surprisingly more consistent over the course of the than the Blue Jackets.  Generally Bob doesn't play well against the Caps with their most recent game an exception.

Nashville over Colorado in 4 games.
Winnipeg over Minnesota in 5 games.
Vegas over the Kings in 6 games.
Anaheim over San Jose in 6 games

Vegas was a pick em over the Kings until Muzzin got hurt.  After their top 3 forwards there is a significant drop off in offensive production.  Between Quick and Fleury I'd take Fleury as more likely to steal a game.  My pick for the Ducks v Sharks is entirely linked to Gibson starting.  If he isn't that series can go either way. Winnipeg has more depth and weapons right now than Minnesota and that one win is probably being generous.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #179 on: 10 April 2018, 08:07:13 »
I guess picks are a good idea, huh?

Tampa (1) vs. New Jersey (WC2): I know this is supposed to be a cakewalk for Tampa, and let's be real- it probably is a Lightning win in the end. But when it looked like Boston might get the top seed I found myself sweating it a little- the Devils aren't a pushover. They've earned their seat at the table this year, and it all starts with that front line. Beyond Hall's shenanigans there's not a ton to write home about overall, sure, and depth is what wins playoff series, but that front line really could be terrifying if Tampa's defense doesn't hold up. But... one team has depth, the other isn't sure who their goalie is, so Tampa in five.

Boston (2) vs. Toronto (3): Hey, remember last time these two face in the playoffs? Wasn't that fun, everyone? (Toronto fans need not apply here). Well, good news, hockey fans- Boston is back and better than before. Trick is, so are the Leafs- by far and away the best Toronto team of the past 20 years. It all rotates around Mathews, though- much like the Devils, if the big gun gets shut down, Toronto will struggle. Not sure if Boston's defense is up to the challenge, but Boston is replying with three solid scoring lines- that's a task that the Leafs definitely aren't up to... yet. Boston in six.

Washington (1) vs. Columbus (WC2): Let's get the usual jokes out of the way here- it's another year of the Washington Capitals in the playoffs, and you all know what that means, blah blah blah. Cool? Well, thing is, this isn't the Caps of prior years- they're still dangerous, but not some super-team like '09. They score goals like it's a hobby, but the defense is awful (hi, Orpik!), and their net is surprisingly shaky. Columbus, meanwhile, is actually a pretty solid team when you look them over- if Bobrovsky has a good series, this could be a first-round shocker. But... Ovechkin and co. are probably a little too much... if only barely. Washington in seven.

Pittsburgh (2) vs. Philadelphia (3): Well now, here's another one that was sure a lot of fun last time they did a series against each other, wasn't it? Goalies were verboten, fights and rough stuff were encouraged, it was one of the best playoff series I've seen in my time. Is this year a repeat? Sort of- I think this is the angriest series of the lot this round, no question, but with the Flyers rolling lately I'm taking them to upset the two-time defending champs with a big surprise. Philly in six.

Nashville (1) vs. Colorado (WC2): The worst team of the modern era last year made the playoffs this year- what a turnaround! Their reward is a date with what probably is the best overall team in the NHL this year. Yay? There's reason to be optimistic about the Avs next year, but this is a train wreck- shut down MacKinnon, and it's over. That's what happens when you lose your best defenseman and goalie vs. the yellow juggernaut. Nashville in four.

Winnipeg (2) vs. Minnesota (3): The Wild always seem to be a decent enough team that just can't get past the truly elite teams in the West. With Chicago fading out at last, this looked like a good opportunity... right up until the Jets became one of the best teams in the league, and the Wild got paired up with them. I don't think it's a pushover series, but I don't see the Wild getting out of this one. Winnipeg in five.

Vegas (1) vs. Los Angeles (WC1): Nothing makes sense. Vegas should have finished 31st this year, or at least no higher than 25th if we're being kind. And yet... solid scoring depth, great goaltending all the way down to the fourth-string level (!!!), great defense, special teams, one of the craziest home crowds in the league... we've waited all year for the bottom to fall out. It never really did- they struggled a few times here and there, but midnight never really has struck. At this point, it's hard to bet against them- even with the Kings' firepower and elite goaltending (so good to see Quick back to form after last year's injury!), it feels like history isn't done with the Vegas Golden Knights. Vegas in six.

Anahem (2) vs. San Jose (3): The Battle of California is always fun, no matter which two teams meet. Anaheim has been a quiet beast this season, and the Sharks have had their struggles- struggles that ended when they made a surprisingly shrewd move for Evander Kane, who has become the monster he always hinted at being in Winnipeg and Buffalo. If Martin Jones has a big year, this could be over fast, but I expect a slog that someone survives rather than dominates. San Jose in seven.

+Crow T. Robot+