Author Topic: SkillFields multiple times?  (Read 1635 times)

Restemayer

• Recruit
SkillFields multiple times?
« on: 07 October 2017, 18:36:39 »
Ok, so I'm looking at Clan Washout in Stage 4.  It requires either Truborn or Freeborn Sibko in Stage two, both of which give Clan Basic Training.  If you're Clan Ghost Bear or Hell's Horses you have the option, instead of washing out to a non-warrior caste, taking the Stage 2 Freeborn Cavalry or Infantry modules as a Stage 4 module... which, obviously, also gives Clan Basic Training.

So, do you take it twice?  I know the rules for the Master Schools list say that you can only have one basic training field, but it doesn't address skill fields taken outside of the schools in Stage 3 nor does it address skill fields taken from separate modules.  The clan skill fields are not part of any master school and can't be taken as one, so the way I read it, the one basic training rule doesn't apply here.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: SkillFields multiple times?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2017, 21:39:27 »
I would interpret that as being a case where you effectively get it again as a special case, yes you effectively get the clan basic training 2x but as effectively a different specialty, so lets say you started out as an aerospace pilot, or MechWarrior then you washed out, and trained as vehicle, or infantry.  while you likely won't be as good as an infantry (elemental) that trained your whole career but you may also have a better feel for anti-mech tactics, since you started training to run a mech so you have a better understanding of their weaknesses.

Aposiopesis

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2017, 10:43:03 »
I would interpret that as being a case where you effectively get it again as a special case, yes you effectively get the clan basic training 2x but as effectively a different specialty, so lets say you started out as an aerospace pilot, or MechWarrior then you washed out, and trained as vehicle, or infantry.  while you likely won't be as good as an infantry (elemental) that trained your whole career but you may also have a better feel for anti-mech tactics, since you started training to run a mech so you have a better understanding of their weaknesses.

I suspect the correct hard rules interpretation is that you would not repeat basic, but instead simply take another advanced field (similar to how if you took 1 basic and then multiple advanced fields in the same module).

That said, I would agree and say it's a special case--you could interpret as the Clans' poor tolerance for failure; making the warrior go through basic again to prove themselves/kind of as a walk of shame. I don't see anything in the Clan Basic fields that likely wouldn't benefit from a second go around, either.

As this isn't directly addressed by the rules, I would suggest this is a good opportunity for GM interpretation to come into play at your preference. For example, you could say that instead of the normal 30 xp + 6 points refunded for each field in the basic, you could have them put 15 into each with no refund (reflecting the limited effectiveness of the repetition).

It's also a good opportunity for some roleplay. Does the character have a large enemy or similar trait, maybe? Perhaps a spiteful superior sets it up where he has to repeat basic. Or high connections? Maybe a benefactor scoots them along in the process.

I'm of the opinion that the module system is best used as a guideline for shaping a character to a certain faction/role rather than letting it define the character. Whichever suits the character or story better (repeating basic or not), handwave it. In the end, the difference is how the player allocates possibly 180 starting XP... pretty insignificant.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2017, 23:11:01 »
Read as written, I believe you take Clan basic training twice in this case. Page 75 for the Clan warrior washout says, "Clan Ghost Bear and Hell's Horses washouts may instead opt to take Stage 2:Freeborn Sibko..., but must pay for the cost of that module [Stage 2: Freeborn Sibko]"

Stage 2: Freeborn Sibko costs 950XP, and we have established that you must pay that 950 XP to get the aforementioned module. Part of that 950XP goes into basic training. Therefore, in game your character took basic training twice, and out of game your character gets additional XP to the Basic training skill fields.

Unless I am missing something, the RAW says you can do it--so do it.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2017, 08:13:49 »
Yep, the restriction is just for Stage 3.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register