Author Topic: Deadborder's MegaMek camo collection  (Read 10478 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Deadborder's MegaMek camo collection
« on: 17 November 2017, 05:52:03 »
When I'm not drawing icons, I also do MegaMek camos. Besides custom ones for my games, I have been (very) slowly building a collection of canon CBT camo patterns. These have been sourced from a wide variety of places in an effort to ensure that I can get as many units covered as possible. In some cases, this has even lead to a unit having multiple different patterns, because consistency is clearly over-rated.

First up is also the largest, being my Mercenaries collection. Containing 248 (!) images, it's been sourced from a variety of locations, such as CSO, field manuals, Combat Manual: Mercenaries, the old FASA Camo Specs book and a few other odds and sods. A few of the colour schemes are admittedly speculative based on some nonsense reasoning (And one is a case of 'non canon but author's own words'), but every effort has been made to confirm to canon

To use these, place them in your /data/images/camo folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TKXYZ7204ewSiEQQv9EPGRKDSn1YvF43/view?usp=sharing

Bearing in mind that this collection is only as complete as I could make it. At a guess, there are over two hundred Merc units that don't have colour schemes as yet. Many of those are single mention only, but there are some that have been around for decades of publication without a mention.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2017, 07:33:00 by Deadborder »
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

trtw

• Private
Re: Deadborder's MegaMek camo collection
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2017, 11:21:31 »
thank you Deadborder!

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2017, 14:22:40 »
Sweet! Thanks, mate!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2017, 18:19:30 »
I'll be adding more as I get them done by faction/group. The DCMS or CCAF will be the next.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2017, 07:44:02 »
Up next is the DCMS. I chose this set for two reasons; the first was having Combat Manual: Kurita which provided a lot of colour schemes to work from, including regiments or entire formations (Alshain and Rasalhauge Regulars, for examples) without schemes. The second was because I figured they would be relatively easy, given that the DCMS is principally made up of large commands. I might have to do the odd variant camo, but it couldn't be that hard, right?

Eighty-seven distinct camo patterns would prove me wrong.

Anyway, here they are. To use these, place them in your /data/images/camo folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12IjzX9Y2rZ5pXsds9u6Bzz6i73EDsaUa/view?usp=sharing

Units missing colour schemes:
  • Ryuken-nana
« Last Edit: 13 December 2017, 07:33:49 by Deadborder »

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2017, 05:30:24 »
Hope these get placed into the MekHQ download in future, great work!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2017, 21:03:05 »
Hope these get placed into the MekHQ download in future, great work!

They will be added and replace the existing SeaVee pack. But it won't happen till after stable.  There are some issues around not breaking campaigns that need to be resolved.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2017, 09:07:18 »
Over the years, I'd put together a large number of stray CCAF camos; more then any other successor state militarily. That's why I chose to do it next. Instead, what I got was a nightmare.

The CCAF has been effectively destroyed several times over. It's undergone numerous restructurings as formations have been destroyed, replaced, reassigned, dissolved, defected and so on. Individual units will undergo numerous changes of name, assignment, formation and the like. And added to that, the CCAF tends not to use formation-wide colour schemes, rather having the colour schemes based on the individual unit. Sometimes they run to a theme, sometimes they don't. Finally, the bulk of the CCAF units destroyed before 3060 (which, by the way, there are a lot of) don't have colour schemes at all.

And yet, I still managed to come up with eighty-five distinct CCAF schemes. And amazingly, some of them are even generic, formation-wide ones rather then being individual units.

Note that this collection also includes units that were a part of the St. Ives Compact, as well as Free Capella. Since, well, most of those were in the CCAF at some point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dXYeVL80-08JzQOOONYZVNWMmLZFRA1y/view?usp=sharing

• Most units destroyed before 3060
  • Andurien Hussars (brigade)
  • Jie Fang Legion
  • Liao Lancers (brigade)
  • 11th Sian Dragoons
  • St. Ives Academy of Martial Sciences Training Group
  • St. Ives Cheveau-Legers
  • Tikonov Lancers (brigade)
  • 3rd Victoria Rangers
  • 4th Victoria Rangers

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2017, 06:45:34 »
Thanks for the huge effort, DB!

Are you also planning on doing new `Mech sprites, considering that Shimmering Sword published new art for the "classics"?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2017, 06:47:04 »
Thanks for the huge effort, DB!

Are you also planning on doing new `Mech sprites, considering that Shimmering Sword published new art for the "classics"?

Allready have done (With updates to reseen sprites as well). They've been sent to the devs and are in the pipeline for the next round of updates.

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2017, 01:20:19 »
Allready have done (With updates to reseen sprites as well). They've been sent to the devs and are in the pipeline for the next round of updates.

Sweet, thanks!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 29 December 2017, 04:05:45 »
Next along is the AFFS which proved to be by far and away the easiest thus far. The AFFS has a lot less variation within its brigades then the DCMS does, and hasn't undergone any massive reorganisations or collapse like the CCAF. In fact, it only came to 73 camos in total, less then the smaller millitaries above.

And while there is a missing unit list, it's actually relatively mild. Most of them are training units.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nz_tvLMp-lxuxDUnRLOuqP0Do61bhtAe/view?usp=sharing

• Avalon Borderers (Formation)
  • 2nd Dragonlords
  • 4th Dragonlords
  • 5th Dragonlords
  • Panzer Brigade
  • Sarna March Militia (Formation)
  • 1st Bell Training Battalion
  • 1st Brockton Training Battalion
  • 1st Conroe Training Battalion
  • Filtvelt Academy Training Battalion
  • Kilbourne Academy Training Battalion
  • Point Barrow Academy Training Battalion
  • Sakhara Academy Training Battalion
  • Tikonov Martial Academy Training Battalion

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2017, 12:59:55 »
Much obliged for your efforts, as always, DB!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2017, 16:10:46 »
Much obliged for your efforts, as always, DB!

Glad you like them. Have fun!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2018, 09:11:24 »
I was expecting the FWLM to be a lot harder then it actually was. In truth, there was a very high rate of accounting for formations, even those that had been destroyed in past. The only missing formation is one that only existed for a few years, and was technically never a part of the FWLM to begin with. Plus there were a lot of times when a "generic" camo would work for an entire formation. The FWLM came to a manageable 62 camos due to this factor alone.

This collection also includes the camo schemes of the post-FWL successor states.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wWfrUO5wm9sa5xvUDXrvuPq7DY4M03Lx/view?usp=sharing

• Dark Shadows
  • Ducal Guard (Formation)
  • Nova Cat Provisionals
  • Protectorate Guardians
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 09:13:04 by Deadborder »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2018, 04:01:04 »
I seem to have forgotten to post my LCAF camos, despite having finished them a week ago. Whoops.

Well, here they are. The LCAF (including the LAAF) came to a rather small 56 camos, most of which were variations of larger formation schemes. The biggest problem came form the numerous reorginisations that the LCAF/LAAF undergoes during its history, which results in a lot of shuffling of units into different formations. In many cases, it was a judgement call as to where to assign what.

While there are a number of missing formations, most of them are small (2-3 regiments) and exist only during the early Succession Wars. So that's not too bad.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tg3TWUSQwn5TVYU0D6oICHm-WOhIppJB/view?usp=sharing

• Donegal Regulars (Formation)
  • Hesperus Guards (Formation)
  • Odessa Regulars (Formation)
  • Tamar Tigers
  • Sakhalin Regulars (Formation)
  • York Regulars (Formation)
  • Coventry Training Cadre
  • Nagelring Training Brigade
  • Pandora College Training Battalion
  • Royal New Capetown Training Battalion
  • Sanglamore Training Battalion

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2018, 02:32:10 »
The Republic Armed Forces have the advantages of being a new military that has been purpose-built from the ground up, rather then being amalgamated from other forces, going through centuries of being destroyed and rebuilt or massive reorganisations and so on. This makes my life a hell of a lot easier, as there's no obscure commands, no strange variations or no lost/destroyed units for me to chase after.

Well, almost. The sole exception is the Knights of the Republic. There's a single formation-wide scheme, but each knight can also use their own scheme if they wish. And there's been a lot of them so far, so I thought that I'd include them out of completion and fun. The result is that they make up half of the 24 schemes included here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11TL3hJHSwwMFgZT5oPbQSB6TqrYGBXqB/view?usp=sharing

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2018, 03:26:44 »
I was looking forward to the LCAF en ROTS camo's. Cheers!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2018, 07:20:16 »
Like the RAF, the Free Rasalhauge Kungsarme was built form the ground up with strict formations and lack of personal units, which makes its colour schemes pretty coherent and straightforward. And then the Clans came along and killed them all.

It happens.

On the other hand, it makes my work rather easy. With the FRRKA, the issue was less about tracking down units as it was translating complex schemes into coherent MegaMek patterns. 3rd Drakons, I'm looking at you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m0623wK4vGP7ngBwClUy8VAdNjU8TIHk/view?usp=sharing

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2018, 02:27:25 »
Rounding out the Inner Sphere collection is Comstar and the Word of Blake. In both cases, they were rather easy to do; both have a simple overall parade scheme and no real variation. The sole exception is the Shadow Divisions who each have an individual scheme and, as such, account for the bulk of the camos in this collection.

Isn't it allways the way?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t7cx1npXTnP-WQWPtVhs-kh4hFI8l-3-/view?usp=sharing

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2018, 06:35:33 »
Finally, here's the SLDF, both old and new. For being the largest army in human history, the SLDF has very few known individual colour schemes. Most of what I have to work with is the generic olive and tan, as well as a few that are reversed backwards from their later incarnations. For example, the 15th Dracon Regiment's grey and green scheme is said to have been their colours when they were a Star League unit.

This means that for the largest army in human history, it has the smallest number of camos thus far. Funny how that works out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RwaRkssam9ah0vvICGS31ti0p2Wb33ip/view?usp=sharing

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2018, 19:11:42 »
It's been a while, hasn't it? A lot of that is due to how busy I got with the next stage of the project, which was the Clans. I kind of underestimated the scope of the project and just how many schemes there would be. In total, I did 207 schemes across 23 Clans. Yes, that's not a typo; I did indeed cover 23 clans. True, four of them are known only from a single 'generic' scheme, but you get the picture.

Even then, there are a lot of missing schemes. In many case, these are very random, with a Clan having one or two Galaxies that don't have one listed. In other cases (you know who you are) the bulk of the Clan is undocumented. Some of them are "historical" units that were destroyed before they were documented beyond having a name. There are a total of 66 missing Clan schemes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ZJv4hmC1i_F-6-dFy9wT4OCgoh8hJrI/view?usp=sharing

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #22 on: 24 March 2018, 04:05:48 »
Now we're off to the Periphery! First on the to-do list is the Circinus Federation, because... well, it's alphabetical. That's it, really. And it only has two colour schemes anyway, which makes my job even easier.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BwpVh4dhNIUKacjyiUDZcEH6yTH59Ohc/view?usp=sharing

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2018, 04:04:23 »
Sadly, the bulk of the Calderon Protectorate's units don't have known colour schemes. The only two that actually do have them are a pair of ex-TDF units that inherited their previous colour schemes. And, sadly, that's it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17JslXKvVIVZOaXEZZ8zaPVeVXLEIEpx8/view?usp=sharing

• 1st Calderon Guard
  • 2nd Calderon Guard
  • 3rd Calderon Guard
  • 3rd Taurian Pride
  • 4th Taurian Pride

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2018, 03:58:21 »
The Fitvelt Coalition has a total of two formations, one of which is an older unit that I had already covered. That's about as easy as it gets.

Can't really add much more then that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z-WvGUUR4UiqKHtCqzARIOgcggGeVOiO/view?usp=sharing

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #25 on: 31 March 2018, 02:40:52 »
The Fronc Reaches also has only two colour schemes, but one of them is very complex and hard for me to realise. I think I did an okay job with it though. And the other one is... very easy.

Can't think of much more to add.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rAypp-YzLT1nq895hqvYwIVfVlDvV3qj/view?usp=sharing

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #26 on: 01 April 2018, 19:52:59 »
Even though it's a deep periphery power with minimal contact with the Inner Sphere, the HSF's camo schemes are mostly well documented. There's one exception which is such an odd oversight that it's almost infuriating.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1POr6ye5HfLBUKzmSaVLJ9lh2uZIkJs63/view?usp=sharing

• Regional Defence Force 5

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #27 on: 03 April 2018, 08:52:41 »
The Lothian League has a total of two colour schemes and I had to dig hard to find both. And that's all I can really say about that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wJ36uSCoA2aMqDjvxS66ztVVXxVyRBT0/view?usp=sharing

Yskonyn

• Private
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
« Reply #28 on: 03 April 2018, 13:53:17 »
Thanks heaps for doing these Deadborder!
I am relatively new to MegaMek, but its awesome that you do these!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #29 on: 04 April 2018, 00:38:10 »
Glad you enjoy them. And there's still more to come!