Author Topic: Third Edition Character Creation Question  (Read 2348 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Third Edition Character Creation Question
« on: 08 December 2017, 04:53:26 »
OK I'm looking at making a character via 3rd Ed's lifepath for an AtB game and I noticed something interesting: You can't switch a character from a military career, that is Tour of Duty lifepaths, to civilian ones even if the character is injured! So does anyone think it would be wrong to conclude this is a simple oversight and allow a character to switch without using Edge?

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Re: Third Edition Character Creation Question
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2017, 11:42:17 »
Let me get this straight. Your character suffered a permeant in jury, and now you want your character to take up a non-military carrier. You can do that by simply sending your character to do more training (e.g. school) by taking an additional life path.

Are you asking why you can not get rid of a life path module that your character already has and switch it with a new one? If so, the answer is because people do not magically lose training and then get new training as a result of an injury.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2017, 12:58:09 »
The "next path" options for Tour of Duty include the Police Academy (everybody qualifies, no prerequisites), and from there you can take a Civilian Job. So if you want to be a dentist or an accountant, you have learn to use shotguns first?

Yeah, it'd make more sense if the Civilian Job path were always a "next path" option.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 13:00:44 by skiltao »
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2017, 21:51:12 »
pg50, MW3 or BTRPG (Classic BT):
Tour of Duty: Inner Sphere
Next Path: Ne’er-Do-Well (4), Tour of Duty: Inner Sphere (4), Police Academy (3), Covert Ops (4, Special Forces or Scout-trained characters only)
Sounds like yer Ne'er-Do'n-so-Well to me...
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2017, 04:36:56 »
Let me get this straight. Your character suffered a permeant in jury, and now you want your character to take up a non-military carrier. You can do that by simply sending your character to do more training (e.g. school) by taking an additional life path.

Are you asking why you can not get rid of a life path module that your character already has and switch it with a new one? If so, the answer is because people do not magically lose training and then get new training as a result of an injury.
No, I am curious as to why a character can't decide that they're not re-enlisting and get a civilian job and bemused that someone injured in the line of duty isn't forced to do that.

The "next path" options for Tour of Duty include the Police Academy (everybody qualifies, no prerequisites), and from there you can take a Civilian Job. So if you want to be a dentist or an accountant, you have learn to use shotguns first?

Yeah, it'd make more sense if the Civilian Job path were always a "next path" option.
Yep, that's my viewpoint and Corporate Mover should probably be there for officers

pg50, MW3 or BTRPG (Classic BT):Sounds like yer Ne'er-Do'n-so-Well to me...
Cute, but Ne’er-Do-Well would represent someone who was dishonorably discharged.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2017, 09:09:55 »
It's all how you fluff it.  Ne'er-do-well could represent a period of extensive physical therapy.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2017, 11:18:53 »
I know you want to avoid Edge, but I'd think this is specifically the reason for the Edge rule being there. Allowing you to break out of a Life Path chain and move into something else.

Otherwise they'd have to give extra outs to all the Life Paths. "But at this point my character goes into civilian field because..." or "But now my character goes into the military Field..."

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2017, 12:28:23 »
I'd think this is specifically the reason for the Edge rule being there.

Edge is for doing things that seem implausible or which would require a healthy dose of luck. Not for things that should be mundane or near-mandatory.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)