Author Topic: KF-drive snag.  (Read 2729 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
KF-drive snag.
« on: 10 December 2017, 17:43:53 »
Just how fast can one make it before... *poof*?

Super KF is what, two LF batteries on a diet? Wanting to know just how fast before you run out of space.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Re: KF-drive snag.
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2017, 11:51:06 »
I don't understand the question.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2017, 13:02:39 »
I was under the impression there was no speed in hyperspace.

How fast, I thought that depended on the vessel weight and the number of dropships. Bigger ships take longer to translate from point a to point b.

Super KF Drives are basically the BT equivalent of pooing in the pool. Drop a warship in system that becomes trapped.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2017, 13:20:40 »
Just how fast can one make it before... *poof*?

Super KF is what, two LF batteries on a diet? Wanting to know just how fast before you run out of space.

TT

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. A hyperspace jump is a near instantaneous "jump" from one point in space to another. (The difference being measurable in milliseconds.)

The "fastest" a JumpShip could get up to would be 0.10 of a G using the stationkeeping drive. (There's really no reason to even try to get up to that speed unless you need to dock at a very close by station.)

There's two flavors of Super-Jump technology: the Word of Blake version, and the Interconnectedness Unlimited version. Both use the same technique, just that the IU version has numerous safeties built in. Basically you start a normal jump sequence, then within a second of starting the first one you use your LF  battery to start a second jump from within the first. The WoB adds no mass to the JumpDrive, but it's a one way jump: both the drive and the LF battery are irreparably burned out. I could be mistaken, but I believe the IU version increases the mass of the Jump Drive by 10% (maybe more) and is limited to a maximum jump of 120 light years (but you don't burn out the JD or LF battery, so it is multiuse.) However both do severely increase the risk of misjumps.

It should also be noted that the IU version is still only an unconfirmed in-canon rumor. 

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2017, 07:46:18 »
I was talking about LY distance. Early KFs were 15LY then standard becam 30. The super drive made it what? And is there anything that'll make it farther? That is my question.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2017, 08:50:06 »
I was talking about LY distance. Early KFs were 15LY then standard becam 30. The super drive made it what? And is there anything that'll make it farther? That is my question.

TT

Ah, I see. Well the Word of Blake S-KF is virtually unlimited by range (though it is thought that 900 LY is the maximum it can actually manage, but only the Blakists know for sure). The IU S-KF limited to only 120 LY per jump. Still a respectable increase if they could actually do it.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

SaltyDog325

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2017, 15:04:17 »

TT

Can't answer you question about going further, but the Star League did have a working 40LY jump drive, still in the prototype stages tho.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/index.php?title=Manassas_(Vessel)&redirect=no
« Last Edit: 16 December 2017, 15:06:25 by SaltyDog325 »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2017, 09:37:41 »
Yeah, but that's more Time Travel...

Which means I could possibly use one, just only to correct any mistake?! After it happened, before it happens? See the meaning?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2017, 13:39:43 »
I'm curious, if the Manassas was Prototype 40, but clearly not perfected,  and IU is working on a Max 120 but also still means damage,  and the WoBs have their 900 LY that also burns out.   What do you think we can get a regular none-glitched KF jump up to now days.

I'd think that getting regular 40 LY jumps perfected would have been possible by the WOB if they had focused on small increase instead of super-jump & with the iLClan time jump & getting to 3250 that we can probably expand regular KF jumps to match an HPG message of 50 LY.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2017, 13:49:05 »
Now you see my point... just how far and fast can one go without something terrible happening.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2017, 13:58:24 »
Well currently its still 30 LY,  but I would think the ROTS with their Fortress shield thingy could have researched their way to perfect a "Manassas" drive of 40 LY in the 50+ years of existence.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo