Author Topic: 3075 Tiger/Panzer equivalent?  (Read 6057 times)

Porkins

• Master Sergeant
Re: 3075 Tiger/Panzer equivalent?
« Reply #30 on: 13 February 2018, 23:42:27 »
I highly recommend reading "Armored Thunderbolt" by Steven Zaloga to get a better picture about armored warfare in World War 2. Not only about the Sherman, but also about german tanks.

Thanks for the referral on this book; I will check it out sometime soon.
Praise the Sea, but keep on Land.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 14 February 2018, 00:22:06 »
note most of this is hearsay and stories.

the tiger and panzer were scary as heck to "stock" especially early version shermans.  and to the crews of said shermans they were justifiable scared to run into them.
the fact that the panzer and tiger might have issue driving more than a few miles under their own power, and had horrible strategic movement due to breakdowns and repair issues.

the guns on the german tanks would typically go right through the shermans armor wheras the shermans cannon could only punch through by hitting weak spots, and or certain angles, so ya...

one thing I heard is that 1 tiger? or panther was able to take on and win against 4 shermans consistently... the problem for the germans was that there were always 5 of the things...

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2018, 01:47:36 »
I watched a History Channel documentary about a Canadian unit of Shermans that encountered a single Tiger. Tankers from BOTH sides of that particular encounter were interviewed, with quite a bit of revelation on both accounts.

The Canadian tankers talked about how THEIR 75mm shells just ricocheted off of the Tiger, or shattered completely with direct hits. And by their own accounts they lost 4 Shermans in minutes at the hands of the Tiger.

The Tiger's driver talked about the bell-ringing noise the Sherman shells made when they hit them, and how they jokingly referred to the Shermans as "Klopfers" (knockers/thumpers) because of how noisy and ineffective they were.

Ultimately a Canadian Sherman Firefly knocked out the Tiger's track, and and after losing another tank to the immobilized Tiger they chose to bug out and radio it's location in rather than keep losing tanks. Aircraft later bombed the Tiger, but most of the crew was outside trying to fix it and all but the commander survived.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2018, 04:03:47 »
A Tiger is certainly a fearsome thing for a man, or a tank, to encounter in the battlefield.

The Tiger dozens of miles behind the battle line with empty fuel tanks, or the Panther dead behind the lines because the transmission blew, again - not so much.

And yes, Shermans had mechanical problems too, to add to their flammability issues. But if you started with 48 Shermans in depot, odds were 40 of them made it to battle. The Germans started with 12 Panthers and 4 Tigers, of which 8 and 3 made it to the line.

Great factual read here - Otto Carius' "Tigers in the Mud". Justifiably fond of the Tiger, despite its shortcomings, but can't say enough bad things about the King or Hunting Tigers.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 14 February 2018, 06:08:01 »
A Tiger is certainly a fearsome thing for a man, or a tank, to encounter in the battlefield.

The Tiger dozens of miles behind the battle line with empty fuel tanks, or the Panther dead behind the lines because the transmission blew, again - not so much.

And yes, Shermans had mechanical problems too, to add to their flammability issues. But if you started with 48 Shermans in depot, odds were 40 of them made it to battle. The Germans started with 12 Panthers and 4 Tigers, of which 8 and 3 made it to the line.

Great factual read here - Otto Carius' "Tigers in the Mud". Justifiably fond of the Tiger, despite its shortcomings, but can't say enough bad things about the King or Hunting Tigers.

In your example... the way I heard it, the Germans would have been lucky to 4 Panthers and 1 Tiger to the line.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 14 February 2018, 06:41:45 »
A big portion of that readiness was the fact you'd have to tear half a Tiger or Panther apart to get at the engine or transmission.  Want to swap the tranny in the Sherman, get a wrench, pop 17 bolts, swap, and done.  Same for the engine in the back.  The Americans also had the extra industrial capacity to provide huge amounts of spares, compared to the Germans who were building entire tanks out of nearly everything they had rather than provide replacement parts.

Tactically, in a perfect setting, the Tiger's a fantastic piece of hardware.  Purely on armor vs armor, and gun vs gun, it wins.  It's also 15-20 tons heavier than the M4, so that's an obvious result anyway.  Apply the situational problems the Germans had with lack of spares, bad designs (interleaved wheels, looking at you), terrible gas mileage (68 miles offroad per tank of fuel) and poor supply situations and the Tiger becomes at best a bunker with a pretty solid gun aaaand that's it.

The King Tiger/Tiger II?  Add another fifteen tons to the Tiger.  Keep the engine.  Enjoy your 10-12mph speed cross-country because of it, not to mention terrible turret rotation speed, and the simple fact that all the armor's on the front...which led to embarrassing moments like this:
"During the Battle of St. Vith a M8 Greyhound armoured car destroyed a Tiger II after getting in behind it on the Schonberg Road, though the commander tried to traverse his turret to engage the M8. The M8 fired three 37 mm rounds into the relatively thin rear armor of the Tiger from only 25 yd (23 m), setting it on fire: "There was a muffled explosion, followed by flames which billowed out of the turret and engine port."
Ballsiest Greyhound crew ever.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #36 on: 14 February 2018, 06:43:39 »
The Tiger was a beast mostly in the early war. I don't know how accurate the Tiger in the desert was (good old Panzer Elite) - but a single Tiger did end my US mission tree in its beginning. Lost my first squad mate before i even realized that we came under fire....
Later with material that became worse and worse the Tiger was a waste of resources, it was a industrial war.... but well back to OT.

in 3075 a fear some war machine that is over constructed?
  • society/clan
  • ferro lamelor 4/6
  • ERPPC + Gauss
  • TC+Nova CWS

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #37 on: 14 February 2018, 08:35:30 »
OK. Guys, the Sherman/Panzer info is neat and all, but totally off topic. Maybe we could move that discussion to a new thread in the Off-Topic forum? It's interesting, but not what Black_Knyght had in mind when he asked the original question. Just a request from a fellow Forum-ite.

Edit: In fact, here's a new thread to discuss why the Sherman/Panther/Tiger sucked/rocked. WW2 Tanks: Sherman v. Panther v. Tiger

I haven't had a chance to bring in any comments related to that topic, but please feel free to do so.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2018, 08:40:12 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #38 on: 14 February 2018, 18:01:43 »
I see the Bulldog more like the Sherman with the Kanga(AC) more a Panther.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 14 February 2018, 18:07:32 »
The Myrmidon has to me, a Sherman-like feel, but better quality. The Vedette is my Pzkw IV analog - initially under-inspiring, but over time (and a multitude of variants) ending up pretty darned good.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #40 on: 14 February 2018, 18:24:31 »
It's a little past time, but the Gurteltier is a punch in the teeth. The Challenger XI with dual gauss and a TC will wreck your day and lead a C3 lance. The Demolisher II is not to be trifled with.

BT tanks aren't legendarily tough in the sense that even the ultra-armored MBTs are going to turn into pillboxes after just a modest amount of plinking. Infantry platoons can ambush and brick the mightiest tanks in one salvo. I tend to both prefer and fear something with a little more speed like the Manteuffel A.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #41 on: 14 February 2018, 18:31:20 »
The Vedette always struck me as that so-so car high schoolers talk about buying for cheap and then sink a TON of money into to make it what they want (and usually wreck 3 weeks after its customized, insurance does not pay for anything beyond stock and they are left in the red).

Eh, I have wanted to try the Narukami 1C . . . 2 PPCs, Gauss Rifle, 2 AMS and 17.5 tons of Hardened Armor for 240 HP.  Decreases crit chances . . . I would like to try a lance of them against some random FedSuns mech lance like I did the Schildkrottes (Turtles!) against a random FWL medium lance.  The Turtles routed the mech lance in exchange for one immobilized they put down . . . I think two mechs and forced a 3rd to retreat.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #42 on: 15 February 2018, 09:50:32 »
The Myrmidon has to me, a Sherman-like feel, but better quality. The Vedette is my Pzkw IV analog - initially under-inspiring, but over time (and a multitude of variants) ending up pretty darned good.

And the Bulldog is the T-34 - cheap, plentiful, not very good but good enough.
-Frederick the Great

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 15 February 2018, 12:56:32 »
Testudo for the JS-152 ;)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #44 on: 15 February 2018, 13:32:24 »
And the Bulldog is the T-34 - cheap, plentiful, not very good but good enough.

The T-34 was the reason the Germans made the Panther in the first place.

That said, the Bulldog and Vedette are cheaper and more common than the other examples like the Rommel but that's mostly because of the ICE Engine vs Fusion Engine. Manticore is another 60 Ton track vehicle but totally different machine thanks to the Pitban 240 SFE. *Edit* Just occurred to me the Bulldog may have also been inspired by the M41 Walker Bulldog   

Oh, I think this Tank is relevant to the OP
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tiger

I really wish I found that earlier :D
« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 13:36:19 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 15 February 2018, 15:13:12 »
The Tiger T-12 has the same problem the Enyo does . . . 5t too fat.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #46 on: 15 February 2018, 15:47:16 »
The T-34 was the reason the Germans made the Panther in the first place.

Then either the Manticore or the Rommel/Patton are the Panther in that analogy; if I spend the same money building Bulldogs that you do building Manticores, Rommels and Pattons, I´ll bury you in cheap but useful tanks. I´m going to have an appalling casualty list, but I´ll win the battle.

I wouldn´t compare the Vedette to any these, though. The Vedette and Scorpion would probably be loose equivalents to the Panzer III and Panzer II, with maybe the Po as the Panzer IV.
-Frederick the Great

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 15 February 2018, 15:53:21 »
That said, the Bulldog and Vedette are cheaper and more common than the other examples like the Rommel but that's mostly because of the ICE Engine vs Fusion Engine. Manticore is another 60 Ton track vehicle but totally different machine thanks to the Pitban 240 SFE. *Edit* Just occurred to me the Bulldog may have also been inspired by the M41 Walker Bulldog
Actually FedComGirl crunched the numbers on the Bulldog and found that by replacing the ICE with a SFE and shrinking the tank down to 30 tons, you can save a bunch. I can't find her post right now but re-creating it in SAW gives me a saving of almost 300,000.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #48 on: 15 February 2018, 17:36:24 »
Actually FedComGirl crunched the numbers on the Bulldog and found that by replacing the ICE with a SFE and shrinking the tank down to 30 tons, you can save a bunch. I can't find her post right now but re-creating it in SAW gives me a saving of almost 300,000.

Huh. I was skeptical at first, so I tried it out. Pretty sweet.  I shall call it the house panther.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 15 February 2018, 17:40:59 »
I was thinking Terrier might be a better name. And upon further investigation it was Matti who posted it, not FedComGirl. And it should work for other ICE-powered, energy weapon heavy designs, like the Ontos.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #50 on: 15 February 2018, 18:32:09 »

however that requires a 120 SFE.. an engine type that was in high demand during the succession wars due to the plethora of Wasp's and Stinger's.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #51 on: 16 February 2018, 01:02:54 »
Sure . . . but it also means that someone should have set up a armor workshop style factory on somewhere like Galatea using those SFE that were replaced with XLs when some mercs upgraded their bugs.
Colt Ward