Author Topic: Fun With Infantry  (Read 810 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Fun With Infantry
« on: 20 February 2018, 15:52:40 »
So, one of the things I've been working on lately is painting up Some of the Dark Age infantry figures and putting them into squads on magnetic bases.

DA Infantry are wonderfully generic, and I started off with the well-armored Elite Infantry.

I have enough for 5 seven-man squads, and I decided that one would be a dedicated Heavy Weapons Squad - with two support weapons for an urban environment.

The remaining 28 will be the same style, but only a Light Weapons Squad with a single support weapon option.

They will all be dedicated to Team Brown, and I can use the magnetic bases to identify individual squads out of a platoon. Howevever, I'm also looking at a skirmish game which tracks individual troopers over a mapsheet, so while I'm currently fine with all the riflemen and support weaponeers looking practically identical, I may have to come up with a way to differentiate them.

Not too keen on numbers, but I may do something like that on the underside of the base, or colorcode the outer ring.

But, in the meantime, enjoy the pics.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: Fun With Infantry
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2018, 15:57:02 »
The fun thing about basing individual troopers on washers is that they can stick to magnets. This allows the infantry squad to be moved around without too much worry about knocking them around.

Tracking casualties for a squad is simply a matter of removing a figure from the base.

I will point out that Team Red's Kurita Infantry are not magnetized, though they are on washers. This was my first proof of concept.

Finally, the only drawback about the DA Infantry is that they're 11-12 mm. They're easier to paint and pick out details at that size, but they do look a little big next to other infantry that are in the 7-10mm range.

I'd originally considered using them as unaugmented Elemental Infantry.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Fun With Infantry
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2018, 18:01:40 »
 O0