Author Topic: (Answered) FrankenLAMs  (Read 2708 times)

FedComGirl

• Major
(Answered) FrankenLAMs
« on: 21 March 2011, 04:27:33 »
Are they possible? For example if my Stinger LAM lost its arm and the only replacement was an arm from a regular Stinger could I mount that arm? If so, would my LAM still be able to convert between Air-mech and Battlemech modes? How about a Leg? If my LAM lost its leg could I replace it with a standard leg? Could it still convert? If its stuck in Air-mech mode, can it still fly as long as jump jets are mounted on that leg?

What if I used limbs from another LAM?  Would it still work, completely if an A1 Stinger LAM used the Leg from an A5? Arm? Head? Side Torso?

Also, can I use a limb from a LAM on another mech? If so, would the limb weigh 10% more than normal because of the conversion system?  If I can and the limb does weigh more, can the conversion equipment be removed? If yes, can I remove the conversion equipment from a LAM to free up weight and space? Like if my LAM is stuck in fighter mode, can I remove the conversion equipment to add in more fuel tanks and weapons? Or if my LAM can't get into fighter mode I'm not going to need landing gear. Can I pull it out and put in other equipment? If I can, and my mech is in Airmech mode at the time, can it still fly and convert to battlemech? If I can pull out landing gear, how much do they weight? I'm guessing, half a ton tops. Presuming they can be removed.

I'm also presuming a LAM that gets a side torso from a non LAM mech is permanently stuck in  the mode its in but if in airmech that it can't fly again even if the torso mounts a partial wing. Would it still be able to move like a WiDGE and hover? If yes, how great would the piloting penalty be? Would the heat be the same? Or should I treat it like a regular mech with a regular partial wing?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:37:32 by Xotl »

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: FrankenLAMs
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2011, 18:13:46 »
Hello,

LAM parts are highly specialized.

A LAM may be repaired with BattleMech parts, but at that point it is stuck in 'Mech mode.

No parts, not build for that LAM, will allow it to operate in AirMech or ASF mode.

Best,
Joel BC
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

FedComGirl

• Major
Re: FrankenLAMs (Answered)
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2011, 06:48:18 »
Hi

Okay thanks :) I figured Fighter Mode would be out but Air-mech too? That's a bummer. :( I would have thought that'd be possible and have the Air-mech stuck in that mode since LAM's can convert to Air-mech mode even with damage.

So if an Airmech lost its arm, and can't convert to Mech mode, how do I replace it with another arm? Is the Air-mech stuck armless?
« Last Edit: 29 March 2011, 07:03:13 by FedComGirl »

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2011, 07:21:35 »
What can't be done in combat, can be done by the Technicians in the repair bay.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2011, 10:18:09 »
Ah! Okay Thanks:)