Author Topic: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??  (Read 42869 times)

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
Re: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??
« Reply #120 on: 15 July 2013, 21:12:37 »

Was I the only one (or am I behind the curve on this) who got a Dougram/Fang of the Sun vibe from the way they deployed the Jaegers by heavy lift-helos?

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #121 on: 15 July 2013, 21:20:11 »
Dude was amazing. The scenes where he slaps down Hiro Protagonist (no, I don't remember his name) were just fantastic.

His name is Raleigh Becket.  It's actually one of the points he and the douchebag pilot get into an argument about.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #122 on: 15 July 2013, 21:23:47 »
Blood and bits create a toxin? Seriously? They were tearing pieces off and scattering them about anyway with hand to hand combat anyway so why not make use of ballistic weapons? The Aussie Jaeger made use of Rockets/Shells? as a weapon system so its not a unknown weapon system.
Because it causes less splatter. What would you rather have, a toxic waste zone in a 1 km square area or a toxic waste zone in a 90 km square area?
Considering every other ranged weapon used on the things, I suspect that Striker Eureka's missiles are kinetic+incendiary based too. IE, good old drill missiles. 

Which is still missing the point that it's a genre conceit. They don't have giant ballistic cannon because giant robots of the style the robots are based on aren't supposed to have giant ballistic cannon. It's like complaining cause Voltron waits until the end of the fight to use the sword instead of getting it out first thing, or that Mazinger-Z waits until the end to fire its giant chest beam. Any big weapon on a Jaeger is going to be a finishing move. (Like Gipsy Danger's plasma caster) On the opposite end of things, It's like complaining that Battletech doesn't have anti-armor missiles that can usually one shot kill an opposing mech, or that realistically MG's shouldn't be limited to 90m. It's not what they're going for. Sure, they'll have a go at it, but it's still going to be an excuse to match up the type of action they want.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #123 on: 15 July 2013, 21:48:03 »
  Yup: the main 'hero' machine is Gipsy Danger (the spelling is apparently deliberate).  The three-armed Chinese Jager is Crimson Typhoon, the blocky Russian one is Cherno Alpha, and the Australian machine with the chest-missiles and the highest kill-record in history is Striker Eureka.  We also see a few moments of Coyote Tango, a three-second TV-clip of Tacit Ronin during the 'rock-star years', and post-battle imagery of a whole lot of Jagers that crashed-and-burned.  :'(

There all meant to be different generations of machines I think. The Cherno Alpha was first generation, not sure about Crimson Typhoon, Gipsy Danger is third generation and the Striker Eureka, the Aussie one was one of the last built and was called Fifth Generation I think, or maybe its production run thing.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #124 on: 15 July 2013, 22:38:36 »
There all meant to be different generations of machines I think. The Cherno Alpha was first generation, not sure about Crimson Typhoon, Gipsy Danger is third generation and the Striker Eureka, the Aussie one was one of the last built and was called Fifth Generation I think, or maybe its production run thing.
  Striker was indeed a Mark.V - the first produced.  And last, owing to the cancellation of the Jaeger programme. ::)  Crimson Typhoon was a Mark.IV, according to the wikia.

punpusher

• Corporal
« Reply #125 on: 15 July 2013, 23:00:30 »
Don't know if someone has posted this already (sorry if you have), but apparently there's an "Atlantic Rim." Same theme, it's a The Asylum mockbuster. Might be good stuff for a RiffTrax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Rim_%28film%29

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #126 on: 15 July 2013, 23:00:51 »
Yes, I have to say Idris Elba definitely nailed the commanding officer vibe with the 3 things.  I think he is definately in the running for the next 'Best TV/Movie commander' . . . does he beat Will Adama?

I am also looking forward to someone putting in rules for VTOL dropping mechs as demonstrated in Pacific Rim.

So who do we start soliciting to get the Marshall's story, fighting solo in his Mk I, knowing the reactor is cooking him?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #127 on: 15 July 2013, 23:19:31 »
Don't know if someone has posted this already (sorry if you have), but apparently there's an "Atlantic Rim." Same theme, it's a The Asylum mockbuster. Might be good stuff for a RiffTrax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Rim_%28film%29

Is that going to be a Syfy Staturday night movie?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #128 on: 15 July 2013, 23:22:01 »
I'd have to say with coyote tango being the fastest of the jaegers and the sprint in Hong Kong Bay qualifies him to be Char.  Was Kamiya Akira involved in the japanese dub as well?

Eva 01's fins? Those are basically used as a backpack most of the time: the progressive knive and other weapons pop up there. I once heard that they had a more divine reason for being: they were suppose to hold the wings of the unit.

No Coyoto Tango's cannons are more like a Shadow Hawks.

Nope, they got a little bit more meta about it. Mako is voiced by Megumi Hayashibara aka Lina Inverse, female Ranma, Rei Ayanami, and hundred of other female characters. It's obvious that the Japanese dub needed to have Mako being more bombastic like only Lina Inverse could be. It couldn't be because of blue hair. Nope. Since, I have not heard Hayashibara's performance, I could be completely wrong which voice she used.

Herc Hansen got dubbed by Shuichi Ikeda which means that Striker Eureka should have been red to be three times faster. And sadly you have to wait for the end for a conversation between Char and Amuro, Tohru Furuya plays Dr. Newton Geizler. 

In fact, most of the actors in the Japanese dub have some connection to Gundam or other giant robot anime. And I've yet to discover who plays Hannibal Chou sadly.

punpusher

• Corporal
« Reply #129 on: 15 July 2013, 23:38:49 »

Is that going to be a Syfy Staturday night movie?

Don't know, though it certainly sounds like a Syfy candidate. Judging by the trailer, it definitely has the production quality (take that statement however you want :P):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVpQmZmKNmo

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 16 July 2013, 00:59:01 »
I saw it today, and yes it did seem odd that ranged weapons weren't used. The Plasma guns on the one arm obviously have some range, when they checked for a "pulse". Sure we see in the opening fight with conventional forces bullets literally bouncing off the Kaiju's scales.

Coyote Tango (the one from the Tokyo dream/memory sequence) used autocannons that looked much like the Shadow Hawk's, one over each shoulder.  But long range weapons were phased out as Jaegers were upgraded because simple brute force trauma (punching) left less toxic residue seeping into the environment.  Also, Rule of Cool says punching and kicking > shooting.  It might be battletech to shoot it with your gauss, but most of the time in giant robot fiction it comes down to physical fighting.

But in the end the thing still died from conventional weapons. Seriously though they couldn't come up with a Jaeger sized rifle or a use of supporting missile fire? And who's bright idea is a wall of life anyway? Or how about once you figure out the timing of when the big old bad monsters come out of the rift, stationing a few ships on the surface and dropping nuclear depth charges?
Nukes ended up having to be used to stop the first few Kaiju.  (the movie showed how fighter jets & other conventional units were useless)  Jaegers were created to avoid having to keep using nukes, which do even more damage to a city than a giant monster rampaging in it.

As for why not station subs/ships with nukes and blow 'em up as they come out of the rift?  Because then we wouldn't have robot vs monster fights.  Rule of Cool, man!  And I guess because they didn't want to incentivize the Kaiju into evolving ways to come out of the rift stealthy-like.

My main issue would be that the Jaeger production had been cancelled though. Its a weapon system that works, even if the tide is turning against them in a one on one fight, so why not deploy more Jaegers at a time? Each of those bases should have been sending out a dozen for every Kaiju, not one or two.

Plot device man!  There's only a few Jaegers left.. every time one goes down it's that much more of a punch because there's no more to fill in!

Plus, committees do plenty of stupid things.  It's hardly implausible, especially for a large bureaucracy, to decide that Jaegers are too expensive to continue to develop and produce, only to go instead with an even MORE expensive, unproven option.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2013, 01:00:56 by Tai Dai Cultist »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #131 on: 16 July 2013, 01:37:09 »
It might be battletech to shoot it with your gauss, but most of the time in giant robot fiction it comes down to physical fighting.

Well, yeah!  Tanks can shoot each other, but it takes a giant robot to kick something in the face!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #132 on: 16 July 2013, 01:51:53 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_QDqMOftE

:o

That didn't take very long.

:)

Luciora

• Major

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #134 on: 16 July 2013, 02:55:33 »
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/06/19-1/pacific-rim-japanese-voice-cast-announced

Found what I was looking for.
  And when this hits Japanese theatres in early August, that cast-list means that the audience reaction will blow roofs off in San Diego.  :o  [notworthy]

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #135 on: 16 July 2013, 07:57:44 »
Well, yeah!  Tanks can shoot each other, but it takes a giant robot to kick something in the face!

That was, in fact, Rhonda Snord's argument for why 'Mechs are better than tanks.

"I don't know about you, but I've never seen a tank jumping up and down on the burning wreckage of a BattleMech."

(Cue the Kanga victory reel  :D )
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #136 on: 16 July 2013, 08:07:46 »
I just spent 2 minutes giggling at your "Bird of Blake" avatar, Mendrugo.

Planning to see this again tonight, half-price tuesdays woo.

I dunno how you guys feel about Facebook apps, but I was playing around with this earlier: http://apps.warnerbros.com/pacificrim/designer/us/

Made myself a "Maple Wolverine" to defend the British Columbia/Yukon coastline. I need a name that fits with their conventions better...

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 16 July 2013, 08:34:23 »
for a canadian jaeger you definitely have to make it white, and ot has to have 'bonhomme' in the name  O0
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #138 on: 16 July 2013, 08:43:53 »
for a canadian jaeger you definitely have to make it white, and ot has to have 'bonhomme' in the name  O0

QFT

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #139 on: 16 July 2013, 09:08:03 »
It is white! Or white-ish.

I wonder if there's a toque option...

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #140 on: 16 July 2013, 09:29:17 »
As a note, there was an offician Canadian Jaeger. 'Chrome Brutus'
It joins the ranks of the fallen alongside Brawler Yukon, Diablo Intercept, and Vulcan Specter.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #141 on: 16 July 2013, 09:32:06 »
Complete supposition: The powers that be were preparing their nuke/kaiju-proof bunkers. The economy was wrecked, people were despondent except for folks worshiping the kaiju, and the jagers weren't working. I'm sure the powers that be would be facing down a cataclysmic (and personally injurious) societal breakdown. They publicized a cheap wall to keep folks upbeat and distracted while they used resources to cover their quiet, stage left exuant to either wait the kaiju out or precipitate a nuclear winter and then wait them out in accordance with the plans of the kaiju's masters.

If that was the case though, you'd expect them to at least be competent enough to prevent a stress-test of the wall (like what happened in Sydney) until after they vanished, so maybe they're just morons.
Yes. Thank you. Damage dealt by attacks in Pacific Rim isn't based on physics or consistency; it's dealt strictly according to the rule of cool.
Dude was amazing. The scenes where he slaps down Hiro Protagonist (no, I don't remember his name) were just fantastic.
Indeed. It does such a great job of covering the first 12(?) years of the war that it's one of the few movies that sets itself up for a prequel I'd love to watch.
Course they could just as easily justify the masters (some not wiped out by the meltdown blast) opening another portal... perhaps elsewhere.... like on the moon.  Then they could start it up again... in SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!! Since we've opened up the gundam refrences already.   ;D

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #142 on: 16 July 2013, 11:12:41 »
I'd have to say with coyote tango being the fastest of the jaegers and the sprint in Hong Kong Bay qualifies him to be Char.  Was Kamiya Akira involved in the japanese dub as well?

Oh come on, a Char theme Jaegar has to be red to keep the fanboys happy. Thus I took up the cause. And since I can add the chainsword from the Gypsy Diver, I named it the Ramba Eagle. It's no Zaku, boy. No Zaku.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2013, 11:23:05 by Lord Harlock »

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #143 on: 16 July 2013, 12:08:45 »
As far as Pacific Rim goes I'm very excited for it, but never really saw it in terms of Battletech.  I saw it as a westernized Evangelion without the problems of being written by a guy undergoing a mental breakdown.

This. The preview also struck me as a live-action Evangelion without the extra fluff thrown in. Which is okay, I suppose.

Seyla. :)

I saw this on Friday in Imax 3D, it was definately worth the money.

My friend and I both had the same note about the movie. They REAALLY caught the swagger of a mech pilot. The way the rest of the people looked up to them as heroes.

I couldn't help getting the feeling that with the limited amount of Jaegers this is closer to what the Dark Ages was supposed to be with the scarceness of big machines to defend the realm ;) Just an afterthought really...

Anywho, Great Movie :)

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #144 on: 16 July 2013, 16:10:40 »
I just saw it again in an afternoon showing . . . and the weird thing was half the crowd, small as it was, were gray hairs!  Mostly grannies!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #145 on: 16 July 2013, 16:47:46 »
I just saw it again in an afternoon showing . . . and the weird thing was half the crowd, small as it was, were gray hairs!  Mostly grannies!
during the weekdays most people are working and retires not wanting to deal with huge crowd tend to prefer weekday showing so it not uncommon  for the older generation to be there. 

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #146 on: 16 July 2013, 17:24:31 »
Yes, I have to say Idris Elba definitely nailed the commanding officer vibe with the 3 things.  I think he is definately in the running for the next 'Best TV/Movie commander' . . . does he beat Will Adama?

I am also looking forward to someone putting in rules for VTOL dropping mechs as demonstrated in Pacific Rim.

So who do we start soliciting to get the Marshall's story, fighting solo in his Mk I, knowing the reactor is cooking him?

they might already exist, considering the now cannon Insect-looking VTOL the DCMS has in it's bag of skills post REVIVAL. That machine can carry a Daishi and they already been used in that fashion, can't remember the name however...

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #147 on: 16 July 2013, 17:36:16 »
Saw it this morning and enjoyed it immensely.  The question in my mind is why weren't there fixed defences at the rift...Or even a garrison of Jagers?  Would seem to be more effective than just letting them out and going wherever. 

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #148 on: 16 July 2013, 18:14:07 »

Yeah, but remember those are the people who remember seeing Godzilla films in the theaters when they were kids...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #149 on: 16 July 2013, 20:28:26 »
I saw it last night and greatly enjoyed it. Yeah, it was definitely genre, but it didn't make me feel stupid for liking it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Register