Author Topic: Mixing Old with the New.  (Read 1874 times)

Arc724

• Recruit
    • Arc of Fire
Mixing Old with the New.
« on: 11 January 2016, 13:04:39 »
Hello new to the forums.

I've been playing Classic Battletech (3025) for about 6 months now. Well, after LONG play sessions the group is looking to stay in the era but use a new quicker system, Alpha Strike. We are all on board to try but we have also been planning to incorporating the MechWarrior RPG (2nd Edition) into the mix to make the games more dynamic and less fight-to-the-death.

I'm doing the leg work on the RPG system and I just discovered A Time of War. So my real question is:

Can we use Battletech: A Time of War as our RPG system while playing in the succession wars era?
  • Will there be any conflict with using this RPG with an earlier eras?
[/color]
« Last Edit: 11 January 2016, 15:08:17 by Arc724 »

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
Re: Mixing Old with the New.
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2016, 13:08:27 »
Yes you can as I use ATOW in my pre 3050 era campaign.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2016, 13:48:03 »
Succession Wars as in pre 3025 but after the Star League fall? Well there's no real official release of products to tweak it around that time.

We do have Era Digest 3052, which provides tweaks to the life modules for 3025-3052 play.
As for the rule set itself? A Time of War will work just fine on Succession War era games.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Arc724

• Recruit
    • Arc of Fire
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2016, 14:50:50 »
My friend ask me a good question over text: Is there any tech in the ATOW that we will have to ignore because it doesn't fit with our era?
« Last Edit: 11 January 2016, 15:08:56 by Arc724 »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2016, 15:13:20 »
Time of War will work. You'll need to disallow and modify some of the Life Paths that don't exist during the era you're playing in. For example in 3025 you don't want to have FRR or WoB characters because those factions don't exist yet. Era Report 3052 talks about some of this, and provides adjustments for Life Paths and says that it can be used for characters from 3025-3052, though some common sense might still apply.

The gear section is already set up to give you ratings for equipment in the Succession Wars, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Other than that ,I'm not sure there's anything else that's era specific in ATOW.

edit
To answer about the tech question...Yes, there is. But each piece of tech comes with availability ratings, which will let you know if its available during the Succession Wars or not.
/edit

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2016, 20:54:39 »
with the equipment there are really 2 aspects that can limit it.

availability and intro date.

with intro date obviously if something is not invented prior to 3055 and you are in 3020 its going to be pretty impossible to get.  there may be an item with a similar concept but different details available but ...

if it is an old piece of "lostech" IE something from say the star league, then its not impossible to get but in some ways it would be like saying I want to get a year 1 mach 1 mustang, 1 they were a limited build package and 2 they were only built for ~1 year ~40 years ago, so they are a little hard to find.  a lot of star league equipment has those issues although a lot of it is.  It was built and common /rare ~200-300 years ago. Just how many do you think you are really going to be able to find.