Author Topic: A time of war, A time of confusion....  (Read 12891 times)

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: A time of war, A time of confusion....
« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2013, 09:13:21 »
I'm dealing with people who have never played before, ever.

Understood.

In reference to your earlier thought, does the ATOW GM screen adequately cover what you have in mind? Or is it missing some items you feel would make life simpler?

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=2029

The solution is just ignore Paul.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #31 on: 31 March 2013, 12:02:36 »
Understood.

In reference to your earlier thought, does the ATOW GM screen adequately cover what you have in mind? Or is it missing some items you feel would make life simpler?

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=2029

Actually that does look like it would help play. Creation, I ended up doing myself and letting them personalize. Each character ended up taking me around an hour or so.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #32 on: 02 April 2013, 11:57:48 »

Thing is that the layout used in ATOW, Char Gen followed by items like Skills, Gear and Traits, has been the industry standard for better than two decades.  Someone mentioned Palladium and I wonder if that might be part of the problem because it does use such a non-standard format.  Also, out of curiousity, do either one of you happen to be a millenial?  The reason I ask, is that from my grad programs, I know that millenials tend to process information differently.

-Jackmc

I used palladium as the example there because it seems a closer fit, writing-wise, than 3rd edition D&D. 3rd edition was easier to grasp then either of them, but it didn't really have the level of rules complexity to begin with to make a decent comparison to aToW....

and what's a millenial?
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #33 on: 02 April 2013, 17:24:41 »
and what's a millenial?

It's the generation that followed Gen X.  To stereotype a bit, studies indicate that they process information differently than preceding generations due to them heavily interacting with significant information technology during their formative years. 

-Jackmc