Author Topic: Fixing Autocannon (my take on the issue)  (Read 36971 times)

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
Re: Fixing Autocannon (my take on the issue)
« Reply #30 on: 03 September 2011, 10:39:27 »
You have to fight in space, the UAC/2 or even the LB-2X is a killing weapon in vacuum

Against flying targets LB-2X is OK. Specialy against those that need to take a piloting check every turn they took damage. Otherwise all ACs have their uses if special ammo is aviable.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #31 on: 03 September 2011, 13:14:57 »
You have to fight in space, the UAC/2 or even the LB-2X is a killing weapon in vacuum

I honestly wasn't aware that was a rule. Where is it? Gotta use more of them :)

Against flying targets LB-2X is OK. Specialy against those that need to take a piloting check every turn they took damage. Otherwise all ACs have their uses if special ammo is aviable.

Yes, specialty ammo is alright. But because of the way ammo bins round (especially the stupid AC/20 and its 2 rounds per ton) it's not worth it. That's why I'm hoping to get enough people involved in fixing them so the developers actually do something about it :)

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 03 September 2011, 14:02:51 »
Don't change the weapon, change the ammo. Nothing else needs to be adjusted, neither rules nor weapons, and you can just something like the following:

HEX Ammo, increases damage by X amount (either percentage or actual damage, I would go +1/+2-3/+4/+5), can't be used in Ultra/Rotary/LB-X etc, but there is no other real limitation, just add an increased BV cost per ammo ton. This is supposed to reflect an in universe change to make the weapons more effective, not an out of universe attempt to balance them, such as decreased BV, decreased tech level, eased maintenance,eased repair requirements, or some similar thing.

Really, I would just prefer the universal AC unit, with dial a yield ratings that are closer to the current ACs and/or improved depending on your wants. I have seen the idea somewhere though...that B-Tech/Clancy cross over maybe?

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 03 September 2011, 15:54:34 »
I just don't think specialty ammos are the answer personally. Especially since only the crappiest of AC's can even use them. Add to that the UAC's tendency to jam and everything is all out of whack. The weapons are actually ok in Aerotech, no jamming, averaged out greater damage. Cool. Still heavy as hell though. I still prefer energy weapons for efficiency. There should be an actual advantage to taking an AC. The fix should be retroactive and out of Universe to reflect all eras of play in my opinion.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 03 September 2011, 16:59:48 »
Well, my default "autocannon fix" suggestion is to make them capable of indirect fire. That might not necessarily be limited to them alone -- pretty much any non-energy weapon should in principle be able to take advantage of the old concept that what goes up must eventually come down again somewhere --, but it's a start...

Alternatively or in addition, and this might be a bit of a stretch, maybe one could just declare "standard" autocannon rounds (whether for standard autocannons, LB-X, ultras or rotaries) to be "armor-piercing" by default. No special ammo required, no to-hit penalty or halving of shots, just hit and you might score a TAC (at a suitable penalty to the roll, of course). If you want to be extra nice to the lighter autocannons, make the roll modifier constant -- say, a -2 as per tandem-charge SRMs throughout -- rather than caliber-dependent as canon AP shot does it...

Of course, the latter might end up making them a little too good, especially if you apply it to RACs. It's only a recent idea that I haven't actually playtested.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #35 on: 03 September 2011, 17:16:09 »
Well, my default "autocannon fix" suggestion is to make them capable of indirect fire. That might not necessarily be limited to them alone -- pretty much any non-energy weapon should in principle be able to take advantage of the old concept that what goes up must eventually come down again somewhere --, but it's a start...
During WW2, American Tankers were given charts and such to be able to use their guns as field artillery. IIRC, they had to have slight earthen ramparts made to assist them in getting them to the correct angle, but...
« Last Edit: 09 September 2011, 09:40:35 by greatsarcasmo »
Maker of big things.

Feign

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 03 September 2011, 19:36:07 »
Alternatively or in addition, and this might be a bit of a stretch, maybe one could just declare "standard" autocannon rounds (whether for standard autocannons, LB-X, ultras or rotaries) to be "armor-piercing" by default. No special ammo required, no to-hit penalty or halving of shots, just hit and you might score a TAC (at a suitable penalty to the roll, of course). If you want to be extra nice to the lighter autocannons, make the roll modifier constant -- say, a -2 as per tandem-charge SRMs throughout -- rather than caliber-dependent as canon AP shot does it...
I still like my idea of a moderate boost to the amount of "damage" only for the purposes of the target's PSR with respect to remaining standing after taking 20 or more damage...  Then make this the default ammo for all ACs, with AP and Precision ammo replacing that ability rather than increasing ammo mass.

Also, the proliferation of specialty armors that deal with missile and energy weapons can help bring autocannons back into usefulness.
All that is born dies,
All that is planned fails,
All that is built crumbles,
But memories continue on,
And that is beautiful.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #37 on: 05 September 2011, 02:31:56 »
I honestly wasn't aware that was a rule. Where is it? Gotta use more of them :)

I have not played a similar game with TW-rules, but in the rule books before you have to roll for hull breach with every hit, no matter the damage the hit inflicted. And a hullbreach would destroy the hitzone. LB-2X cluster is sweet for vacuum.

To the topic, what about using RoF for Autocannons, a
AC2 has a RoF of 4
AC5 has a RoF of 3
AC10 has a RoF of 2
you can spend your RoF for
  • reroll one dice for to hit
  • reroll one dice for hitzone
  • increase damage by 25%
  • reroll one dice for cluster*
but you would spend a additional shot per RoF - Factor (means a AC2 would loose 4 shots per round)
should work together with Ultra or LBX cannons

Zombyra

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 05 September 2011, 23:13:39 »
I've never really thought that changing the damage curve on the things was going to be a good fix?  And once you get the lbx/ultra/roatry i'm fine to just go with whatever.  Back in the good old 3025 days, though, i think only a couple tweaks to the ac5 and ac2 need to be house rules.
I don't need the autocannons to be preferred weapons, i just want to be a little happier with them!

The ac20 is fine, peeps seem to fear it often enough i'm pretty happy with it.
The ac10 is a solid weapon, not preferred, perhaps, but i don't feel like it's a handicap.
The ac5 has--imho--one overwhelming problem.  This weapon should not have a minimum range.  And now, i'm basicly happy with it until 3050.
The ac2 also needs to not have a minimum range.  And, there's no call for this weapon to generate the 1 heat--it's just silly.  I'm not as happy as with the ac5, but i can live with it.

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 08 September 2011, 04:55:17 »
I've never really thought that changing the damage curve on the things was going to be a good fix?  And once you get the lbx/ultra/roatry i'm fine to just go with whatever.  Back in the good old 3025 days, though, i think only a couple tweaks to the ac5 and ac2 need to be house rules.
I don't need the autocannons to be preferred weapons, i just want to be a little happier with them!

The ac20 is fine, peeps seem to fear it often enough i'm pretty happy with it.
The ac10 is a solid weapon, not preferred, perhaps, but i don't feel like it's a handicap.
The ac5 has--imho--one overwhelming problem.  This weapon should not have a minimum range.  And now, i'm basicly happy with it until 3050.
The ac2 also needs to not have a minimum range.  And, there's no call for this weapon to generate the 1 heat--it's just silly.  I'm not as happy as with the ac5, but i can live with it.

Not bad ideas, but as I said earlier, the way the AC/20 ammo bins are as -s, you get seriously jacked trying to take any specialty ammo. So I still say bump it up to 6 rounds base for any of the 20's. Also, get rid of the stupid "cluster" hits with the ultra AC's and the jamming rule. Both so stupid it's not even funny. Just do like it's done in Aerotech. Double heat and ammunition useage, average out the damage.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 09 September 2011, 04:31:15 »
Why don't you just add a BV for the Specialty Ammo and don't halve the Ammo? Or Assume specialty Ammo is usually loaded and add 50% to the regular ammo capacity?
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 09 September 2011, 07:06:44 »
even with special ammunition the lighter AC wont work adequate sorry but a AP rounds are really silly:
no automatic crit,
and a +1 to hit,
not even a comparison to the armor the bullet have to penetrate?
 no thanks

like the flechette rounds however

..,. got a idea, thanks to Cowdragons SLC (pardon Long Range Laser)
why try to increase the AC lets make energy weapons worser:

all laser damage is decreased by 50%, because it is really easy to protect yourself vs a beam of light -use a mirror  ;D
PPCs deal only 75% damage
« Last Edit: 09 September 2011, 07:11:01 by Hptm. Streiger »

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 09 September 2011, 09:42:29 »
LOL, never thought of that approach.

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 12 September 2011, 12:01:25 »
Ok, here's a real simple idea.

Really a lot of the problem with the smaller AC's is they really don't have an effect in the Anti-Mech role,
while they do have utility in other areas (AAA, motive crit seeking on vees, Long Range Anti-PBI with flechette, etc).
So let's add an effect directly targeting 'Mechs.

Remembering back to some discussions on the old forums on ways to address flashbulbs being too good in the DHS era,
there was a suggestion that energy weapons should create less knockback on figuring PSR's. The idea was shot down
a bit for game balance (and the physics of it), but let's take the idea and flip it.

The rule change: Each standard/precision/AP salvo of slugs adds the equivalent when calculating PSR's, of an additional two points of damage  in single shot mode
or per shot in Ultra mode. Rotary Autocannons add the equivalent of one point of damage per salvo when calculating PSR's, at all firing speeds.

Where does that get us?

AC/2, LAC/2, LB 2-X: Would still take 5 of them (instead of 10) to force a PSR. Still, the pressure adds up on some designs, like the Mauler or a pair of Pikes.

Ultra/2: Would still take 2 1/2 of them on Ultra to force a PSR, but it would be able to add pressure.

RAC/2: Going full bore, one would be just short of being able to force a PSR. Becomes an eight ton pressure weapon instead of an inefficient SRM alternative.

AC/5, LAC/5, LB 5-X: Would take 3 to force a PSR instead of 4. A pair with a LL would make a knockdown combo.

Ultra/5: Still would need a pair on Ultra to force a Knockdown, but one UAC/5 plus an LL could make a good combo.

RAC/5: By itself, PSR chances don't change at a given firing speed, but it can help at lower fire rates with additional weapons.

AC/10, LB 10-X: Add a Large Laser and we've got a knockdown.

Ultra/10: Not much help in Ultra mode, but as with above, a Large Laser and a single tap would be a knockdown check.

AC/20, LB 20-X, Ultra/20: The extra knockdown points don't do anything in these cases normally, but with Hardened and Ferro-Lamellor armors on the field,
it can help make up the difference for the lost damage.

Looking at some canon units:

-The JM6-S JagerMech,and -4R and -5D Enforcer, would now be capable of generating a PSR at range.
-The -3N Rifleman would be able to force a PSR at range with the AC's and one LL, instead of having to fire both LL's. The -5M model can force a PSR check separately with each arm.
-The ON1-K Orion can generate a PSR at range with the statistical average 9 missiles of the LRM-15 hitting, instead of needing needing a better than average roll on the cluster hits table.
-The RAC/2 Variants of the Templar and Pike become downright scary, being able to generate well over twice what is needed for a PSR check, or give three 'Mechs close to
PSR levels of damage.
-Way at the other end of tech, the Standard Bane can generate a PSR easily instead of having all the UAC/2's hit perfectly in Ultra mode, and can actually force a second PSR
check on a separate target if everything hits perfectly.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2011, 01:14:36 by Blackjack Jones »

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 14 September 2011, 17:58:44 »

Looking at some cannon units:

-The JM6-S JagerMech,and -4R and -5D Enforcer, would now be capable of generating a PSR at range.
-The -3N Rifleman would be able to force a PSR at range with the AC's and one LL, instead of having to fire both LL's. The -5M model can force a PSR check separately with each arm.
-The ON1-K Orion can generate a PSR at range with the statistical average 9 missiles of the LRM-15 hitting, instead of needing needing a better than average roll on the cluster hits table.
-The RAC/2 Variants of the Templar and Pike become downright scary, being able to generate well over twice what is needed for a PSR check, or give three 'Mechs close to
PSR levels of damage.
-Way at the other end of tech, the Standard Bane can generate a PSR easily instead of having all the UAC/2's hit perfectly in Ultra mode, and can actually force a second PSR

Can't resist... but this would improve the canon cannon 'Mechs with non-canon cannon rules, without changing the canon cannons into non-canon cannons.  I like.  :D

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 15 September 2011, 01:13:40 »
Can't resist... but this would improve the canon cannon 'Mechs with non-canon cannon rules, without changing the canon cannons into non-canon cannons.  I like.  :D

Yeah I could lie and say I was trying to be clever, but I was on a roll when I typed it the first time, quickly followed by a ton of edits. Looks like I missed one.  :(

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 15 September 2011, 01:22:28 »
I do actually like this idea. Making AC's into knockdown weapons is a cool alternative to adjusting other more standard things like damage.

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #47 on: 19 September 2011, 09:31:31 »
I've been giving specialty ammo for free, without the penalty of half the rounds per ton.  This doesn't change much stats and mechanics wise, but gives AC's the flavour of their special abilities while giving those few extra tons back to the weapon comparison to make it more desirable.

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 19 September 2011, 13:04:40 »
I've been giving specialty ammo for free, without the penalty of half the rounds per ton.  This doesn't change much stats and mechanics wise, but gives AC's the flavour of their special abilities while giving those few extra tons back to the weapon comparison to make it more desirable.

That still leaves out Ultra and LBX AC's, but it's a very nice start :)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #49 on: 19 September 2011, 21:30:08 »
Guys, really lke some of these ideas, especially the knockdown idea.  I'm sorry to hijack this discussion, but what do you think of these?  They're for my AU project.

Improved Autocannon (I-AC)

Despite the heat efficiency of Autocannons, advances in heatsinks and energy weapons have diminished their presence on the battlefield.  Developed by House Davion’s NAIS but unavailable in heavier calibers and outranged by energy weapons without the risks of ammo explosions, Light-ACs have come to represent a stopgap measure in Autocannon development.
   Looking for weapons systems adaptable to modern warfare, the Civil Government has successfully combined the 21st century Metalstorm system with the modern Autocannon, providing compact, heat efficient weapons capable of flexibility unmatched by current designs.
   I-ACs take advantage of several centuries of development in ballistic weapons to provide cutting edge weight- and damage ratios; the Metalstorm concept, used in large caliber grenade launchers before being abandoned by 2050, takes advantage of these developments to provide a credible threat to larger opponents, or provide those larger opponents with the means to eliminate Light units with ease.

Game Rules
   I-ACs offer a single barrel with limited ammunition to the designer.  Small calibers offer longer range and are favored by large units with limited mobility, while lighter units carry heavier calibers to threaten their targets with tandem-charge armor-piercing rounds able to cripple larger opponents with a single shot.

Heat     Dam              Range     Ammo    Wt        Space          Tech
Weapon          Std(Aero)      Std (Aero)       M/S/M/L (Aero)    (barrel)  (tons)   M  E  CV  SV  F  SC  DS Rating
I-AC/2                 0*(0*)              2(2)            4/8/16/24 (Long) 12      3       1   2    1   1   1   1    1      F
I-AC/5                  1(0)                5(5)         3/6/12/18 (Medium) 5       4       1   3    1   2   1   1    1      F
I-AC/10                2(2)              10(10)          5/10/15 (Medium)  3       6       1   4    1   4   1   1    1      F
I-AC/20                4(4)              20(20)             3/6/9 (Short)      1       7       2    -    1   8   1   1    1      F
* - See Notes

Notes:
·   I-ACs are able to use special- and mixed ammo, in any order and any type (barring caseless); these include Armor-Piercing, Flechette, Precision, Cluster, Flak, Tracer,
·   Because I-ACs are able to use multiple special ammunition types, players must record the type of ammo in order of firing
·   I-ACs may fire in bursts.  Players must specify the number of rounds fired a Turn before the weapon is fired.
·   Heat is cumulative with each shell fired.  I-AC/2s do not generate heat for single shots; for each multiple of 3 rounds fired, one heat is generated.
·   Damage is allocated by shell, in order of rounds fired, following the rules for specialty ammo.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Feign

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 23 September 2011, 08:54:27 »
Game Rules
   I-ACs offer a single barrel with limited ammunition to the designer.  Small calibers offer longer range and are favored by large units with limited mobility, while lighter units carry heavier calibers to threaten their targets with tandem-charge armor-piercing rounds able to cripple larger opponents with a single shot.

Heat         Dam              Range             Ammo      Wt                Space              Tech
Weapon          Std(Aero)    Std (Aero)      M/S/M /L  (Aero)   (barrel)  (tons)   M   E   CV  SV  F  SC  DS   Rating
I-AC/2           0*(0*)         2(2)         4/8/16/24 (Long)    12       3        1   2   1   1   1  1   1       F
I-AC/5           1(0)           5(5)         3/6/12/18 (Medium)  5        4        1   3   1   2   1  1   1       F
I-AC/10          2(2)          10(10)          5/10/15 (Medium)  3        6        1   4   1   4   1  1   1       F
I-AC/20          4(4)          20(20)          3/6 /9  (Short)   1        7        2   -   1   8   1  1   1       F
* - See Notes

Notes:
·   I-ACs are able to use special- and mixed ammo, in any order and any type (barring caseless); these include Armor-Piercing, Flechette, Precision, Cluster, Flak, Tracer,
·   Because I-ACs are able to use multiple special ammunition types, players must record the type of ammo in order of firing
·   I-ACs may fire in bursts.  Players must specify the number of rounds fired a Turn before the weapon is fired.
·   Heat is cumulative with each shell fired.  I-AC/2s do not generate heat for single shots; for each multiple of 3 rounds fired, one heat is generated.
·   Damage is allocated by shell, in order of rounds fired, following the rules for specialty ammo.
I've fixed your table for you, though they seem to be amazingly compact, low-heat, and moderately lightweight rotary ACs with no upper limit on how much they can fire in a turn and the full array of special ammo at the expense of having a much lower ammo capacity... 

If this is an extension from the Metal Storm idea, perhaps clarify that each canon can only have one "Barrel" of ammunition...  Also, don't mess around with specialty ammo in these, it leads to over-complication in a hurry.
All that is born dies,
All that is planned fails,
All that is built crumbles,
But memories continue on,
And that is beautiful.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #51 on: 23 September 2011, 11:59:47 »
I've fixed your table for you, though they seem to be amazingly compact, low-heat, and moderately lightweight rotary ACs with no upper limit on how much they can fire in a turn and the full array of special ammo at the expense of having a much lower ammo capacity... 

If this is an extension from the Metal Storm idea, perhaps clarify that each canon can only have one "Barrel" of ammunition...  Also, don't mess around with specialty ammo in these, it leads to over-complication in a hurry.

...The damn table is fine in Word, it just gets skewed when I copy it over.  But thanks.  And yup, one barrel of ammo only.  I think specifying only ONE type of ammo, standard or specialty per barrel, sounds like a good idea.

Bt have you SEEN their demonstration movies?  Holy crap!   :o
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 08 April 2012, 00:56:59 »
Didn't want to start a new topic since this thread already existed, but I personally have been thinking about doing this in my home games to make AC's more appealing. Pretty much just up their damage to the nearest 5, as in 5, 10, 15, 20.

Weapon  Heat  DMG     Range       Tons  Crit  Ammo
AC-2(5)      1       5     4/8/16/24       6       1      45
AC-5(10)    1      10    3/6/12/18       8       4      20
AC-10(15)  3      15       5/10/15      12      7      10
AC-20         7      20        3/6/9         14     10      5     No Change

Like this the AC-5 would pretty much match the PPC. (3025 era I usually swap out the AC-5s for PPCs anyway) Slightly heavier with less need for heat sinks, but it does have the chance for the ammo to explode, which the PPC does not have to worry about. The AC-10 would become a shorter ranged Gauss Rifle, also 2 Large Laser is 16 damage split in 2, maybe a little more weight for heat sinks, but again no exploding ammo. As for more advanced cannons I think I would use this model also with the exception of the RACs which could stay at 2 and 5 damage.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2012, 01:05:10 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 09 April 2012, 00:04:07 »
The simplest way to improve them would be to give them a bonus on the chances of getting a crit.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 09 April 2012, 06:41:37 »

Approved.  O0

Garydee

• Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 09 April 2012, 14:33:57 »
What I've used in my games for making AC weapons better is by manipulating some of the TacOp optional rules. I have it that due to the explosive nature of ACs they never suffer from glancing blows. Also, with direct blows they receive a +2 per MOS of 3 instead of +1. These rules seem to help ACs quite a bit without changing their base damage, weight, heat, etc..

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #56 on: 13 April 2012, 05:12:07 »
I was more interested for alternate ammo explosion :

- turn 0 : 1D6 warheads detonate (+10 heat)
- turn 1 : 2D6 warheads (+20 heat)
- turn 2 : 3D6 warheads (+30heat)
- etc.... unless you drop the ammo

AC/10 or 20 ammo are still enough powerfull to destroy your unit and the smaller calibers are less dangerous. Off course if you do not dump your burning MG ammo bin you quickly run into serious heat/damage troubles  >:D.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 17 April 2012, 04:19:43 »
I'm toying around with different RoFs...only the Ultra and Rotarys give me a hard time so only for Into Tech this time.

Result:
Cluster Roll for AC 2 -> 4 shots
Cluster Roll for AC 5 -> 2 shots
Cluster Roll for AC 10 -> 2 shots
Cluster Roll for MedLaser -> 2 shots
Cluster Roll for LightLaser  -> 2 shots
Cluster Roll for SRMs -> shots * 2
Cluster Roll for MachineGun -> 4 shots

You are able to spend half the shots for a additional -1 ToHitModifer

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 20 April 2012, 14:23:45 »
Ok, here's a real simple idea.

Really a lot of the problem with the smaller AC's is they really don't have an effect in the Anti-Mech role,
while they do have utility in other areas (AAA, motive crit seeking on vees, Long Range Anti-PBI with flechette, etc).
So let's add an effect directly targeting 'Mechs.

Remembering back to some discussions on the old forums on ways to address flashbulbs being too good in the DHS era,
there was a suggestion that energy weapons should create less knockback on figuring PSR's. The idea was shot down
a bit for game balance (and the physics of it), but let's take the idea and flip it.

The rule change: Each standard/precision/AP salvo of slugs adds the equivalent when calculating PSR's, of an additional two points of damage  in single shot mode
or per shot in Ultra mode. Rotary Autocannons add the equivalent of one point of damage per salvo when calculating PSR's, at all firing speeds.

Where does that get us?

AC/2, LAC/2, LB 2-X: Would still take 5 of them (instead of 10) to force a PSR. Still, the pressure adds up on some designs, like the Mauler or a pair of Pikes.

Ultra/2: Would still take 2 1/2 of them on Ultra to force a PSR, but it would be able to add pressure.

RAC/2: Going full bore, one would be just short of being able to force a PSR. Becomes an eight ton pressure weapon instead of an inefficient SRM alternative.

AC/5, LAC/5, LB 5-X: Would take 3 to force a PSR instead of 4. A pair with a LL would make a knockdown combo.

Ultra/5: Still would need a pair on Ultra to force a Knockdown, but one UAC/5 plus an LL could make a good combo.

RAC/5: By itself, PSR chances don't change at a given firing speed, but it can help at lower fire rates with additional weapons.

AC/10, LB 10-X: Add a Large Laser and we've got a knockdown.

Ultra/10: Not much help in Ultra mode, but as with above, a Large Laser and a single tap would be a knockdown check.

AC/20, LB 20-X, Ultra/20: The extra knockdown points don't do anything in these cases normally, but with Hardened and Ferro-Lamellor armors on the field,
it can help make up the difference for the lost damage.

Looking at some canon units:

PSR levels of damage.

This is probably one of the better ways of making ACs more effective with out changing them at all.
And the effect only gets stronger when you use the expanded falling after taking 20+ damage rule in tac ops.

Though while primary intended for ACs I could see all ballistics using this (though Gauss Rifles don't need it as badly as AC do).

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 28 April 2012, 08:53:16 »
So "Fixing ACs" can be summed up into 2 ideas:

1) Change the stats so ACs are competitive with other weapons.

Pros: The ACs are now balanced with other weapons. And proves that tech in BT actually does advance.

Cons: You're essentially introducing new equipment, which doesn't help all the old ACs lying around.

2) Change the rules on how ACs are used.

Pros: You can use all the old equipment, and now have reasons to do so!

Cons: Rule changes are ALWAYS controversial. Fans will Complain.

My feelings on the subject matter? I'd go with changing the rules. Not any big changes, just ones small enough to balance ACs with new tech (and in the case of the lighter ACs, OLD tech). The AC/10 and /20 I think are just fine as is.

My favorite idea is the one that bumps the rate of fire at no penalty. Being able to double tap an AC/5 or quad tap an AC/2 at no penalty means those weapons how actually put out fairly significant firepower for their tonnage. The Ultras and RAC versions would of course get a similar power up with their canon penalties, although this may make the RAC too powerful.

Second favorite idea (which IMO should not be combined with the previous one) is to give ACs an automatic crit chance. You can even justify it in-universe as AP ammo having been perfected and now everyone is using it, so starting in year 3xxx, all ACs now have a chance to crit, and none of the earlier rules and design decisions have been invalidated.

Lastly, I like the idea of having Improved ACs, but such weapons would be replacing the old weapons, which still renders all the old original ACs obsolete. This is something the devs have been chronically avoiding.

Edit: One more thing! If you really want to replace the old ACs with something better, take the old Rifle Cannons and fluff them as having new, updated ammo that removes the -3 damage penalty. That IMO would make them BETTER than the old ACs while not requiring the introduction of any new equipment.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2012, 08:56:21 by evilauthor »