Author Topic: ATM Question  (Read 10605 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: ATM Question
« Reply #30 on: 17 July 2011, 13:26:19 »
Because you can't mount hand actuators if an omni has PPCs, ACs, or Gauss Rifles in the arms. :P
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 17 July 2011, 13:43:36 »
Forgot autocannons did that too.
That doesn't invalidate that in universe, most clan warriors wouldn't use a mech's fists even if it had them  regardless of what some players do.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #32 on: 17 July 2011, 13:48:58 »
As a user of the Dire Wolf C, I like using its two ATM 6's, as mentioned before, in the ER role.

Let's compare the ATM 6, in the ER role, to a Clan LRM 5 with Artemis, a Clan LBX AC 5, and a Clan Ultra AC 5.

Weapon         Weight      Ammo/ton        Ranges       Heat
ATM 6                          3.5                       10                            9/18/27                   4   
LRM 5 with Art              2                          24                            7/14/21                   2
LBX  AC 5                     7                          20                            8/15/24                   1
Ultra AC 5                     8                          20                            7/14/21                   1

In comparison, IMHO, the ATM 6 is better in the long range role that either type of autocannon because of its much lower weight and better range.

The LRM 5 with Artemis is about half the weight and has twice the ammo and half the heat, but sacrifices range and the ATM 6 can do 1 more point of damage.

For me, the pair ATM 6's on my Dire Wolf C aren't my favourite weapons, but they have range and are a whole lot better than wasting space with AC 5's.   
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Register