Author Topic: Combined arms battalion, 2nd Regulan Hussars, 4th SW period  (Read 2744 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
So my last effort with a fictive preamble sank with few traces. So, assuming you're here for the pics, here they are!

While the Regulans might argue it, they are part of the Free Worlds League, and therefore champion (in period) of combined arms warfare. While the battalion consists of a company's worth each of 'Mechs, armour, and infantry, they don't operate like that - they operate as Recon Force, Strike Force, and Battle Force.

Recon Force consists of a lance of 'Mechs - Firestarter 9-H, Jenner 7D, Locust 3V, and Flea 1S - with an extended lance of Galleons, and a platoon of rifle infantry with transport. The Galleons form the primary recon line, supported by the 'Mechs, and the infantry often used to either take objectives, or to establish forward observer positions.

The Strike Force - Scorpion 1N, Shadow Hawk 2H, Wolverine 6M, and Ostsol 4D - are backed by a platoon of LRM Scimitars. The 'Mechs deploy aggressively, supported by direct and indirect fire from the Scimitars, which are fast enough to be where they're needed.

And finally, the command Battle Force. In offence or defence, the 'Mechs - Marauder 3M, Crusader 3R, Orion 1K and Hunchback 4P - usually back up the Manticores, taking advantage of holes blasted by the armour. The mechanised field gun platoons (with a motorised laser platoon for security) operate behind the heavier units, moving from cover to cover to provide a solid back-stop to which the other lances & platoons can retire at need.

So as part of my Grand Plan, I moved my 13th Marik Militia forward to the Clan Invasion period, so I could have BA. Which left a slot open for the 4th War period. I'd not done a Regulan unit before, and with the good results I've been getting with browns, decided to have a go. Plus, it let me field a 6-strong light armour platoon ;)

The unit's made up largely of old lead minis which I purchased from a friend, when he had to liquidate his collection :( The Scorpion was a major fixer-upper; the legs were all broken, and the weapons had to be scratched up. And I removed the "handle" from the Wolverine's gun, something I always do for 6Ms.

Of course, the Classics then got integrated, and look really good. Painting was simple - base coat of sand, added brown & green details, metallic bits, then hit with the teak stain. I had planned to go back over the green, but felt it wasn't necessary.

Comments as always actively sought O0

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Combined arms battalion, 2nd Regulan Hussars, 4th SW period
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2017, 20:11:20 »
Yup, looking great WT (as I expected :) ).  Question: where do you get all you unseens from?  Hanging around the collection unpainted, or were they Ebay finds (or something like that)?

And I for one enjoy the fiction   8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2017, 20:44:21 »
I've been collecting BT minis since 1984. Until about 2005, I never painted more than one in the same paintscheme. Over time I've gone back - I've kept the best of my old original collection, but the others have been recycled. The Chicago Division battalion I did, the 'Mechs have been with me, most of them, since the mid 1980s.

Otherwise, I can recommend BV Traders as a good source of second-hand minis - selection depends completely on what Mike from Bumpass, VA gets his hands on - but the prices are good, and the overseas shipping is superbly cheap compared to pretty much anyone else in the US, IWM included. Secondly, the Lords of the BattleTech trading forum, which is unfortunately past the peak of its glory days at the moment (but what BT isn't ...  :( )
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 10:00:57 »
Question: how did you put together your Marauder-3M?

I really like the look of it. Is it just a Reseen Marauder 5R/9S mini, or did you also make some adjustments?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 10:39:15 »
It's based on the GenCon special 7D/9D. This side pic may help:

So, real Marauders have arms in front of legs. It's an article of faith for me. The GenCon Marauder is considerably beefed up over the old 5S/9R, and has most lovely details, but fails this critical test

So, I built the legs & waist normally. I then clipped off the upper shoulders just above the circular joint, at the angle to allow me to then pin them into the gaps left for the legs to rotate. I then pinned the upper torso so it's back was joined to the front of the waist piece. I left the ball joints for the original arm mounts in place as detail.

(Oh, and the gun is a Marauder II gun from the old MFUK weapons pack, last of its kind in my bitz. Seemed appropriate.)

In this pic, you can see a pair of Reseen Marauder 5S/9R minis, one of which I hacked in much the same way.

Hope that helps!

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2017, 11:15:41 »
Seeing that Flea has told me it's time to replace every instance of the old Flea mini with that one, and pretend the AT-ST wanna-be never existed...

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2017, 16:22:38 »
 O0

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2017, 03:33:43 »
Sweet!