Author Topic: [Alpha Strike] Working on some faction "Army Lists"  (Read 12050 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
[Alpha Strike] Working on some faction "Army Lists"
« on: 30 July 2013, 15:38:28 »
while my supply of miniatures is limited (in part due to a lack of new purchases, but mainly because half of them are in storage  :( though those are mostly my clans.), i've been trying put together some Alpha Strike forces so i can try the rules out. The MUL may not have the updated stats cards yet, but the point values shouldn't be changing, so i'm using that to figure out what i'm taking. i went with near Jihad era units on the principle that those offered the most interesting options, and that i rather like how the 3145 setting is shaping up.

my goal is to build at least two faction themed forces. the first one that struck me was the Capellans. i have some ravens, a stealth marauder mini, and a wraith, so i started with those, and filled it out with some of the unseen plastics i had as stand ins for the Jihad versions.

Code: [Select]
Liao 148pts
Unit Base Pts Skill Adjusted Points
-------------------------------------------------------------------
--Scout Lance--
Raven RVN-4L 9 3 12
Raven RVN-4L 9 3 12
Phoenix Hawk PHX-4L 14 4 14
Wraith TR1 13 3 18

--Battle Lance--
Crusader CRD-7L 19 4 19
Archer ARC-7L 19 4 19
Thunderbolt TDR-9M 16 3 22
Marauder MAD-5L 23 3 32

3/4ths of them are stealth armor equipped, and i tried to pick units with LRM's to take advantage of the Raven's NARC abilities. i figure that in the future, after some purchases, i might add a third lance (maybe with a few vindicators?) and maybe some Fa Shih battlearmor to build it up to 200pts. or i could buy some Cappy tanks instead of more mechs. not sure.

the choice of the Cappellans made the identity of the other force a given.. The Fedsuns. still working on that one.

thoughts?
« Last Edit: 30 July 2013, 15:47:33 by glitterboy2098 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: [Alpha Strike] Working on some faction "Army Lists"
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2013, 17:56:41 »
ok, the Fedsun force is done.. went with a march militia feel, with a blend of old and new tech. as a result the force is a bit bigger, but given the stealth and recon advantage of the Liao force and the fact the Davion force has a lot of older and lighter units, the two should be fairly even.

Davion 150pts

Unit Base Points Skill Adjusted Points
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--Command Lance--
Warhammer WHM-7S 15 4 15
Warhammer WHM-7S 15 4 15
Battlemaster BLR-10S 19 4 19

--Harasser Lance--
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H 11 4 11
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H 11 4 11
Wolverine WVR-7D 13 3 18
Hollander BZK-G1 9 4 9

--Scout Lance--
Nightsky NGS-4S 12 3 17
Stinger STG-5G 6 3 8
Wasp WSP-1S 4 4 4
Wasp WSP-1S 4 4 4

The battlemaster is nominally the most advanced unit in the force, with the Stinger vying for that position.. but the Avatar is the command mech, by dint of being an Omni (just the sort of showy personal unit a local noble commander might go with)
the shadow hawks are the oldest units, being introtech. but still a pretty handy design. the entire force is much more direct fire oriented, with only the Avatar with any sort of missile/indirect fire ability. the firepower is also much more close range focused, with plenty of up close brawlers.

hopefully these two forces will make for interesting match ups.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2013, 17:59:53 by glitterboy2098 »

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2013, 23:51:40 »
The impression I am getting is that most Clan/IS fights will have to be 500 pts. That seems to be the closest match ups between lances and stars.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2013, 00:27:51 »
given that at 500 pts, you'd be looking at a full battalion or more of IS mechs, i think your off by a bit.

500pts is roughly equal to 50,000 Bv.. you can deploy a fairly skilled Star for about 5000 to 10000bv, using mostly mediums, and 1 binary is roughly on par with a IS company, so about 150 to 200 pts (15,000 to 20,000bv) should work fine. maybe upwards of 300pts if you prefer really big or expensive mechs.

for example, a star my brother likes to use, at normal clan skill levels.

Clan Heavy Star 186pts

Storm Crow B 23 3 32
Vulture Prime 24 3 33
Timber Wolf Prime 27 3 37
Warhawk Prime 32 3 44
Dire Wolf A 29 3 40

This star is pretty high end, with the two big BV assualts and higher end for the rest. but in the past it has picked apart an IS low to mid tech company on its own in regular BT play, so it matches up pretty well.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2013, 00:51:16 by glitterboy2098 »

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2013, 01:43:11 »
I was just going off the sample Stars in the book, which are around the 224 range.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2013, 03:08:23 »
I was just going off the sample Stars in the book, which are around the 224 range.

You are mistaken. The book has ~160 point IS companies and ~225 point Clan binaries.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2013, 15:04:44 »
threw together a clan force.. aside from the Rapid Coyote (one of my favorites), its all Clan general. my clan figures were never very factional, so i'm doing what i can. the MUL doesn't have info on who uses the Rabid Coyote, but i could see some with the wolves or sold by the Diamond Sharks, letting you justify its use in most clan forces.

Clan Misc (Wolf?) 147pts

Unit Base pts Skill Adjusted Pts
---------------------------------------------------------
Shadow Cat Prime 22 3 30
Shadow Cat Prime 22 3 30
Mist Lynx B 12 3 17
Mist Lynx B 12 3 17
Rabid Coyote 21 3 29

Elemental (APGuass) 6 3 8

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2013, 17:18:13 »
decided to throw together some 50 point "booster" forces.. units i can add to my main 150pt armies to increase the size of a game.

keeping with my Dark Ages era preference, i figure i can make a lance of Bannson's Raiders that could ally with the Capellans, and a merc lance of some kind (not sure what group) that could add to the Fedsuns force.

i'm not sure how to divide up my remaining figures though.. here is what i have.

2x Locust (unseen fig)
Raptor Omnimech
Griffin (unseen fig)
Shadowhawk  (unseen fig)
Rifleman (unseen fig)
Marauder (unseen fig, modified with oversized replacement gun arms due to old damage to the figure)
Battlemaster (unseen fig)

i'd rather prefer that the 'booster' force offer capabilities the main force lacks.

i also have some misc vehicles and infantry, specifically;
GHQ (not yet based)
Merkava IV
Paladin Self Propelled Artillery
M113 Zelda APC
Israeli infantry with assault rifles (about 9 individual troops)
Toyota truck
3rd world Infantry with assault rifles (about 9 individual troops)

MWDA BA: (similar size to the current IWM ones)
3x Thunderbird BA
1x Slyph BA

IWM/Ralpartha:
4x kanazuzhi BA (old smaller sculpt)
2x stands of Foot infantry
2x stands of foot infantry SRM
3x stands jump infantry
2x badger Omni APC's

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2013, 12:29:43 »
card sheets for the two Liao lances. i've not yet gone through to add skill #'s or add adjusted points costs, these are just the new MUL cards assembled into an easy to print form. EDIT: first sheet appended. 2nd sheet to be posted separately due to file size limits..

as you can see, the battle lance is really more of a "firesupport-with-direct fire ability" unit, while the Scout lance is more "spotters-and-harrassers" intended to screen the battlelance and give it eyes out front. you've basically got 2 scout-spotters, 2 fire support, 2 brawlers, and 2 harrassers.. with many of them able to pinch-hit in other roles if needed. not bad for a Demi-company. and since most of them are stealth, and use longer range weapons, they should be really tough to bring down.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2013, 12:30:48 »
2nd sheet...

remember this is for a 150pt force.
Liao 148pts
Unit Base Pts Skill Adjusted Points
-------------------------------------------------------------------
--Scout Lance--
Raven RVN-4L 9 3 12
Raven RVN-4L 9 3 12
Phoenix Hawk PHX-4L 14 4 14
Wraith TR1 13 3 18

--Battle Lance--
Crusader CRD-7L 19 4 19
Archer ARC-7L 19 4 19
Thunderbolt TDR-9M 16 3 22
Marauder MAD-5L 23 3 32

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2014, 15:15:44 »
going to work out the points for these lists in the new PV system, will repost the old Liao force and the Davion force when i'm done. hoping i won't need to do a total rework on the forces as a result, but will be intertesting to see how evenly matched they actually were.

then will liekly reformat the Liao Force to use a pair of augmented Lances (i have some Fa Shih battle armor now, so can easily add 4 squads of them. :) )

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2014, 17:01:01 »
I can appreciate the Effort you put into this thread but your suggested clan star with the 3 elementals is far from optimal imo.

Locusr IIC is vastly better value then Mist Lynx
Shadowcat is insanely over priced, better off with a Kit Fox B (think thats the varient) or a Dragonfly if your after the BI specials.  If you wanted max damage swap shadow cats for Nova H's.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 17:04:57 by SteelWarrior »
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2014, 18:29:52 »
well, keep in in mind, i'm not a minmaxer. i'll take less optimal stuff if its fluffy.. plus i try to use the mini's i already own.

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2014, 22:48:11 »
Im not a minmaxer ethier, i field Raiden BA even though jump laser platoons are better and cheaper.  But when using clan forces you do gotta play the max game a bit more if you want to have a chance at beating an IS force.

At 147 points your working at the equivalent of just shy of 8 Atlas....just too many points invested on mechs with 3hp lol.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 22:51:29 by SteelWarrior »
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Register