Author Topic: Translating Hostile Environments Effects to Roleplaying?  (Read 2133 times)

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
Translating Hostile Environments Effects to Roleplaying?
« on: 19 January 2012, 20:04:21 »
Anyone have thoughts about representing the various levels and types of tainted and toxic atmospheres in the roleplaying environment? I know the ATOW has a few examples of poisons (radium, arsenic and vx gas) but, seems a bit limited to me quite frankly. Given tac ops has at least three different types of hostile environments (caustic, radio/poisonous and flammable) have people applied those to the roleplaying setting?

Or if a world for example has a Tainted (Viral) atmosphere.

Also a lot of those rules say that vehicles require environmental sealing, though, I imagine that environment suits and/or filter masks would help offset this need? At least temporarily.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Translating Hostile Environments Effects to Roleplaying?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2012, 15:25:25 »
Anyone have thoughts about representing the various levels and types of tainted and toxic atmospheres in the roleplaying environment? I know the ATOW has a few examples of poisons (radium, arsenic and vx gas) but, seems a bit limited to me quite frankly.

They give a spectrum.

Given tac ops has at least three different types of hostile environments (caustic, radio/poisonous and flammable) have people applied those to the roleplaying setting?

Caustic damage can be handled by continuous damage (pg181-182, which specifically references acid on pg181). I'd recommend Normal Fire for high intensity acids or bases.

Poisons and high intensity radiation: use Continuous Damage (Poisons) pg181. I know radiation isn't poison, but radiation effects tend to fall into 2 categories: instant, poison-like effects, or long-term weakness and very long term cancer threats.

Flammable atmospheres: If the gas ignites, hit the players with Continuous Damage (Normal Fire) pg181. If the atmosphere is not breathable, use a low intensity poison.

Or if a world for example has a Tainted (Viral) atmosphere.

See Diseases, pg245-249 ATOW. Infect at GM's whim. If diseases are REALLY fast acting (flesh dissolves in combat turns), treat them as poisons.

Also a lot of those rules say that vehicles require environmental sealing, though, I imagine that environment suits and/or filter masks would help offset this need? At least temporarily.

A light environmental suit will handle most threats except fire and radiation. Radiation can be handled by heavy environmental suits. Air masks will only help against inhaled threats; a lot of poisons and acids will work on any exposed skin.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.