Author Topic: My list of characters...  (Read 4446 times)

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
  • Star Commander Adam Howe
My list of characters...
« on: 08 July 2012, 12:27:20 »
...just names and factions, no details or anything about them.

Clan Snow Raven
   Adam Howe
   Janet

Clan Ghost Bear
   Elemental Kyle
   Kristina

Clan Coyote
   Mary Smith

Federated Suns
   James Peterson
   Melissa Davion

Lyran Alliance/Commonwealth
   Wilhelm Rommel
   Friedrich Schmied
   Victoria Steiner

Free Worlds League
   Vinciente Verrazza
   Laura Marik

Capellan Confederation
   Melonie Green

Draconis Combine
   Shikoto Minamoto
   Ayameko Kurita

Outworlds Alliance
   Jennifer Sampson

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: My list of characters...
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2012, 15:24:20 »
I guess it depends on what the OP wishes to accomplish with this list.

There are no where near enough details for any sort of real comment/analysis of the characters.  Likewise even lacking basic biographical data the information isn't comprehensive enough for anyone involved in an on-line AToW campaign where adamhowe is involved to swing by and really find it useful in any manner.

So I'll actually be nice and ask the implied question.  What is it that this list supposed to accomplish?

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2012, 19:46:45 »
I guess it depends on what the OP wishes to accomplish with this list.

There are no where near enough details for any sort of real comment/analysis of the characters.  Likewise even lacking basic biographical data the information isn't comprehensive enough for anyone involved in an on-line AToW campaign where adamhowe is involved to swing by and really find it useful in any manner.

So I'll actually be nice and ask the implied question.  What is it that this list supposed to accomplish?

I don't really know, to give more information now I could post PDF's of my spreadsheets for them.  It also works as a starting block for people to show interest in certain characters and ask for more details about the ones that they are interested in.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2012, 20:00:18 »
I don't really know, to give more information now I could post PDF's of my spreadsheets for them.  It also works as a starting block for people to show interest in certain characters and ask for more details about the ones that they are interested in.

How about you post one to two pars of basic detail on each character. That way you give people enough teaser info to get involved - but don't clog up the whole place.

Ie:
Davion - S/SGT Calvin Horst, 1st Kathil Ulhans
Horst was just a redneck, Agromech driving, hard drinking type on Kathil until the tailend of the Fourth Succession War when he discovered his reservist enlistment in the local militia (signed while under the influence) was going to put him in the line of fire.
Despite this, his intuitive touch at the controls of an Enforcer, honed from years chasing cattle, proved a boon facing down the elite Death Commandos in 3029.
Since his drafting into the Ulhans he's scored 14 kills, most of them against Liao forces on Sian and then later in a series of mop up actions.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2012, 20:01:54 »
How about you post one to two pars of basic detail on each character. That way you give people enough teaser info to get involved - but don't clog up the whole place.

Ie:
Davion - S/SGT Calvin Horst, 1st Kathil Ulhans
Horst was just a redneck, Agromech driving, hard drinking type on Kathil until the tailend of the Fourth Succession War when he discovered his reservist enlistment in the local militia (signed while under the influence) was going to put him in the line of fire.
Despite this, his intuitive touch at the controls of an Enforcer, honed from years chasing cattle, proved a boon facing down the elite Death Commandos in 3029.
Since his drafting into the Ulhans he's scored 14 kills, most of them against Liao forces on Sian and then later in a series of mop up actions.

I'm not very good at that.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2012, 20:25:42 »
No one is going to be interested in your characters if they have no characterization and only exist as names, factions, and numbers.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2012, 20:33:56 »
No one is going to be interested in your characters if they have no characterization and only exist as names, factions, and numbers.

Sorry, guess someone should just remove it then.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2012, 21:28:56 »
Don't despair. In basic character fluff creation, just go with a few basic questions.

Who is this?
Where are they from?
When were they born?  (and what year is it now?)
What are a few interesting details about their history?
Why are they in their current situation?
How have recent events affected your character?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2012, 21:35:19 »
Don't despair. In basic character fluff creation, just go with a few basic questions.

Who is this?
Where are they from?
When were they born?  (and what year is it now?)
What are a few interesting details about their history?
Why are they in their current situation?
How have recent events affected your character?

Nail. Head.
This is certainly the way to go - just a few facts about a pc can generate a wealth of ideas

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2012, 11:42:24 »
I'm getting some help with the basic fluffs.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2012, 13:25:08 »
There used to be a rash of creating little more than stat blocks and names for characters in our gaming group and even I got fed up with it to the point whenever I ran a RPG campaign I'd ask a lot of questions.  I joked about asking 200 questions, usually less but not as much as you'd expect.  I did finally type up all the questions and did actually come up with 200 questions to think about the character's more fluffy bits.  I do have it in a word document and would be glad to share it when I get back to the computer it is on.

As to the list itself I think most of that has already been touched upon fairly well.

But as a helpful reminder for future projects do try and consider what it is you want to accomplish.  Think about if you were on the other side of the goal.  In this case if you wanted to know about characters or provide comment what would you like to know about the character before you could even formulate reasonable questions.  Having a clearly defined goal helps a lot and you'd be surprised how many questions you can answer for yourself by trying to define your goal and it certainly aids others in being helpful.  Don't over stress on it too much though.  After all the main reason to play a game is to have fun.

Kalten

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2012, 13:32:07 »
I would certainly like to read those questions Mon, if you don't mind either pming me them, or posting here.
Anyone for a Monkey?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2012, 13:48:03 »
I'll try and remember the next time I'm home.  Which should be Saturday sometime.  Be warned that they may only make sense to a warped and deranged individual such as myself.  :P

Kalten

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2012, 14:01:54 »
As for the characters and fluff....AToW makes this easy with it's character generation method.
Simply think of the character being a baby at the start, then at each stage come up with a little story as to why the choices you make at each stage happen:
For instance:
Character Name: Kane
Stage 0:  Federated Suns baby from the outback region of Crucis March, Son of a farmer farther and a school teacher mum - Chose to learn how to draw (Arts: Drawing) from a young age sitting on top of the rolling hills of the area where he lived with his parents looking out over the endless grain fields, with the view of the local mountain range in the distance.

Stage 1: Early childhood (up to 10 years old) Chose 'Farm'...spent most of his time out in the fields playing games, and occasionally helping dad with basic farm duty.  Used the flexible XP to offset some of the illiterate trait, increase his arts skill and learn German and increase his English skills and Wealth trait.  Chose to take Interest: SLDF History (all kids love the military) and Interest: Arts (to enhance his understanding of his skill with a pencil).

Stage 2: Late Childhood (end at age 16) Chose 'High School' due to mums profession and ability to get him erolled at her school (which a lot of other kids can't get do due to their environment on this backwater planet).  At school Kane increased his Interest: Arts skill as his primary interest, then also increased his Interest: SLDF History, further increasing his personal interest in joining the AFFS and helping the Davions protect the interests of Federated Suns.  He uses his flexible XP to remove the rest of the illiterate trait and the rest of the negative Wealth trait, but then also decides that he wants to earna  bit of money and increases the wealth into a positive score.  This Kane achieved by doing a paper round in his local town to earn him pocket money and lay the foundations of the knowledge of how to earn, save and spend money when he becomes an adult.

Stage 3: Higher Education.  Having graduated from school with good grades Kane decides that he wants to push to be a MechWarrior (who doesn't after all!) so he uses some connections he has made through his school teachers to get into one of the lower end Military Academies...as it happens his head teacher is an ex MechWarrior that happened to train at the New Avalon Military Academy (now the NAIS) and gets Kane a placement with the elite school. (Kane has to pay the prerequisites to get into the academy, but the player thinks it's well worth it!
Kane goes through basic training, MechWarrior training and then decides he wants to spend a second year perfecting his Mech skills.  At this stage the flexible XP are going into improving his mech skills and attributes, etc.

Stage 3: part 2: Officer Candidate School.  Kane has proved himself a capable MechWarrior and it is suggested that he attend officer training and so  he attends that school, from which he exits as a newly promoted Leftenant (his parents are well pleased with how their son is prgressing, even if they are worried that he might get killed, something that causes friction between Kane and his farther.

Stage 4: Tour of Duty.  Once promoted from officer school Kane is posted personally by the Prince to take command of a lance of scout mechs on the Fed Suns / Blake Protectorate boarder.  Here Kane proves his worth as a staff officer, earns a promotion to Captain and ends with a medal for services to the Crown.

We start the campaign with Kane in command of his light mech battalion on the boarders of the Blake territory.

And there you go - I threw this together as I was typing it and didn't think too much about it as I went.  It's simple when you go through in these stages :)
Anyone for a Monkey?

Kalten

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2012, 14:02:35 »
I'll try and remember the next time I'm home.  Which should be Saturday sometime.  Be warned that they may only make sense to a warped and deranged individual such as myself.  :P

You mean like me? :)  and thanks Mon :)
Anyone for a Monkey?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2012, 13:17:26 »
I found a copy of the questions rattling around on my jump drive.  I'll copy and paste them into my AToW character creation aides thread.

Freefall357

• Sergeant
  • NovaCommander
« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2012, 17:09:36 »
There used to be a rash of creating little more than stat blocks and names for characters in our gaming group and even I got fed up with it to the point whenever I ran a RPG campaign I'd ask a lot of questions.

I GM'd a fair bit of things like DnD, D20 Modern, MWRPG2&3.  We had a similar problem...the Min/Maxers always had no depth and the people with deep characters had no use to the team/group.

We solved it by making characters with whatever the points-buy system was for the game.  I had a list of 40 or so questions, from "Name?" to "What was your parent's relationship like?".  Each question that was answered satisfactorily would earn the player points.  The most points available was actually above the suggested amount by a decent percentage.  I was very critical of the answers, so it stayed within a level of control.  I also asked that they make their character fit the story...if they had some elaborate backstory about growing up with a blacksmith for a dad, I expected to see some blacksmiths skills [even very minimal] somewhere.

In AToW, you can use the starting XP as rewards for answers.  Have the minimum [basically the number of stupid questions like "Race?"] bring a character up to 4500 and have the total for everything be around 6500-7000.  While this will get the storytellers FAR more XP to spend, but you will find they spend it on things like Interest/Modern Art.  It does end up leveling out, the detailed character may spend 5500 on combat/useful skills and spend the rest on other stuff, while the min/maxer ends up with only 5500 to spend total [and has to spend some of that to stay in-line with his story].

It is a bit forceful, but everyone [from both sides] really liked it.  Back in the college days, we had some people that joined us just for one campaign and commented on how they enjoyed that character design.

In the end, it just comes down to the GM keeping things even but, more importantly, fun for everyone.
Ghostbear (pre-jihad mostly), 357th Cave Bears ... free hugs for Snow Ravens.
CapCon when playing dirty Innersphere. (Seems I may be looking into FRR...been away a while).

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2012, 17:17:30 »
I haven't had to resort to bribery yet but I guess that can be due to having a fairly decent group in that regard.

The bribery I usually have to do is to get players to play different kinds of characters.

Kalten

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2012, 17:54:21 »
I'm a little more subtle than that....I tend to give story line bonuses that appear in game for those that have taken the time to flesh out the characters.
I love the character gen in AToW because at each stage it forces you to think about why you are doing what you are doing - as I explained in my walk thorugh above, it so simple that even the min/maxers end up with a good story.  Those that develop on the basic story you get at the start end up with better things for actuall game play - like with my wife's character in my new campaign - she has taken to it really well and written up her back story - has been willing to change things around to fit with my storyline and where her charactrer fits in, so I've given her a slightly better mech to start the game with...nothing major, but little perks to reward the effort people put in :)

I love hearing how other GMs cope with players, and have spent loads of time on other game forums...of course...I'm in battletech mode atm, so it's all mechs and inner sphere this, clan that right now! :)
Anyone for a Monkey?