Author Topic: How does Clan Ghost Bear treat Bondsman?  (Read 2340 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
How does Clan Ghost Bear treat Bondsman?
« on: 23 October 2017, 09:51:17 »
Hey, how far can you Phelan Wolf in Clan Ghost Bear?

Obviously it kind of works if you're a Prince. But what if you aren't a Prince? How do they treat you?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: How does Clan Ghost Bear treat Bondsman?
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2017, 10:51:05 »
They do seem to be one of the more accepting of Clans, they have even created a Magnusson House.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2017, 11:16:20 »
They do seem to be one of the more accepting of Clans, they have even created a Magnusson House.

Yeah. I guess I should have also been very specific about the timeline. I meant during the clan invasion. Obviously by the time the Rasalhague Dominion eats them they're making new bloodlines for inner sphere pilots who are good.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2017, 11:35:50 »
Well, they started out as Crusaders, so I'd guess they'd be less welcoming than the Wolves in the early 50s, though one imagines better than the Falcons or Jags (their Care Bear nature can't have come out of nowhere). Their big change of heart didn't come until many years later (which, remember, is several generations of Clan warriors).  My sense is that in the invasions, units like the Maulers with their death to mercenaries attitude were more the norm than the exception (one wonders if this wouldn't have helped rather than hurt with the FRR people later on).  And in any event, even a large portion of the Wolves weren't totally on board with Phelan, so if we believe the Bears had more of a Crusader attitude then it would stand to reason that until the late 50s when the Bears began contemplating relocation the prospects for an IS bondsman would be... frosty?

Though even the more hard line Falcons have at least one IS bondsman who became a Star Captain, so it's plausible that a Bear bondsman in this period could become a warrior at least, if they were exceptional. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2017, 11:49:25 »
Oh. Ragnars cluster The First Rasalhague Bears has a Rasalhague warrior who was taken as Isorla in every single Star....

So there you go.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2017, 17:19:22 »
Roar Of Honour was set in 3062 and featured a Ghost Bear Star Commander with a bondsman who was being groomed for eventual adoption. From memory he is adopted at the end of the book for his assistance.
Bear (get it?!) in mind, the POV GB characters were all Wardens, but there was no talk of inferior spheroids, etc.

First Rasalhague Bears Is another good example - every star had a captured warrior. I imagine by the Jihad this was enterily a freeborn clusters

One thing to remember is the Ghost Bears about a family and community. I imagine that even as Crusaders the Bears see their conquered populace as family - wayward members who need to be shown the true way, but family none the less.
Compared to say the Falcons or Jags who just see a conquered people.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2017, 18:15:35 »
Invasion Bears were happy to glass worlds to get their point across.

Tukayyid and the logistics of life in the IS gave the Bears an existential crisis which discredited the Crusaders. At the same time a couple of Warden Star Colonels were getting good results with lenient occupation policies. By 3055 this was crystalising into the relocation policy.

Before then, for the most part the Bears were not playing nice and the resistance movements weren't giving them a reason to be nice.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2017, 23:23:53 »
Depends upon your origin.  If you were House troops they were (mostly - they had anti-freebirth warrior in their ranks) accepting if you proved yourself worthy, if you were a merc you were lucky just to survive!  Their 115th Striker Cluster accepted a large number of former DCMS warriors from the 1st Sun Zhang Academy Cadre into their ranks and a former FRR regimental CO was accepted into their ranks and became an officer before Tukayyid.

As far as civilian bondsmen were concerned, the Ghost Bears were reluctant but forced to admit that Clan Wolf's more lenient policies reduced the amount of resources they needed to spend on maintaining control and helped reduce the unrest among the locals which reduced the number of violent uprisings that would have to be put down.

Invasion Bears were happy to glass worlds to get their point across.

???  Where does it say this?  The only Clan to glass a world during the Invasion were the Jaguars and were accordingly ostracized by their fellow Clansmen and targeted by the reborn Star League as a result.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2017, 05:20:52 »
???  Where does it say this?  The only Clan to glass a world during the Invasion were the Jaguars and were accordingly ostracized by their fellow Clansmen and targeted by the reborn Star League as a result.

I think its more a amusing interpretation of how easily the Bears go REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! at sometimes the slightest provocation.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2017, 09:07:35 »
It is something that has been brought up a few times. Obviously they never did it and as they got more screen time they evolved into the Care Bears. My understanding is in the early depictions they were far more on the rargh Clan side of things. Only the Wolves got a white hat at that stage.

The issue with Mercenaries date back to Black Omen playing tricks on Damian. Before then I am not sure that there was a set policy.

Not much is said about civilian policies until FM WC when a few commanders are singled out as examples being followed by the high command. This is all after Tukayyid when the Bears are existential rethinking their role in the Sphere. Invading Clans gives a good description of their head space. It is amazing how little civilian concerns, let alone OZ civilian concerns come up at all.