Author Topic: (Answered) Balancing uneven force numbers  (Read 3153 times)

Andy Mitchell

• Private
(Answered) Balancing uneven force numbers
« on: 03 August 2013, 15:38:48 »
In Strategic Operations, p310, there was an optional rule to help better balance forces where one side had more units than the other. Is this rule no longer applicable to Alpha Strike? I can't spot it, or a replacement, in the new pdf.

As the pdf focuses on the clan invasion, lots of battles are going to be numerically asymmetrical on account of clan forces being numerically small "uber" elite mech heavy ones.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2013, 11:43:25 by Xotl »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Research) Balancing uneven force numbers
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2013, 15:45:28 »
p310 of SO is not part of the Alpha Strike rulebook.  You're welcome to use it as a house rule, but we felt it was too complicated for Alpha Strike, and for many battles it is unnecessary.  The sample companies in the book are intended to be able to play against the sample binaries by simply comparing Point Values, either by doubling up on some of the IS forces, or increasing the Skill levels of the Clan forces.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Andy Mitchell

• Private
Re: (Answered) Balancing uneven force numbers
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2013, 17:45:57 »
Thanks for the reply but I still don't quite see how this works. In the Alpha strike Rule book on P22 it says:

Force Balancing
For the purposes of establishing game balance, every Alpha
Strike unit has a Point Value (PV) that provides a numerical
estimation of its overall combat ability. Forces with roughly the
same total PV and the same numbers of units should thus be
of similar combat ability, thus offering an even match. If players
choose to use partial (or multiple) army lists, the total PV and
number of units for each force should be likewise balanced to
have an even game.

The games I had of the previous quickstrike rules did seem to favour more cheap units over fewer expensive units of the same total point value. I had too few games to swear that will always be true. However, I would definitely feel guilty ever putting a load of savannah masters in again for the IS after trying them just once ;)  I think most of the quickstrike IS vs Clan games I ran with reasonably "fluffy" looking forces ended up with about 2 IS units (mixed vehicles and mechs) for each clan mech with everyone on regular skill to keep things simple.

So first question, is the statement that both sides should have a similar number of units good advice based on the play testing? How far out can you go before it gets problematic?

If the advice stands, the options seem to come down to either:
a) Giving the IS a skill boost, the example IS forces are 12 models @ ~160 points vs the clans on 10 models @ ~225 points. Clans on regular, IS on veteran works out right PV wise. Doesn't feel right fluff wise!
b) Have the IS turn up in all heavy/assault mechs and the clans in all light/medium. I guess that works for house Steiner :)

Thanks again for you response,

Andy

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Answered) Balancing uneven force numbers
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2013, 07:49:12 »
To go through more specifically, taking Clan Jade Falcon and House Steiner as examples.
Option #1: Double Steiner's first (Assault) and last (Pursuit) gives Steiner 228 PV to Jade Falcon's 223.  20 IS 'mechs versus 10 Clan mechs.
Option #2: Double Steiner's entire Company (PV 280), increase Jade Falcon's Skill to 3 (PV 308).  24 IS 'mechs versus 10 Skill 3 Clan 'mechs.

"So first question, is the statement that both sides should have a similar number of units good advice based on the play testing? How far out can you go before it gets problematic?"

I think this belongs more in a general discussion thread.  My opinions aren't a rules answer.  Put it in general discussion and I can give my opinion, and you can get a wider range of opinions. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register