Author Topic: (Answered) Converting Narc beacons  (Read 3549 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
(Answered) Converting Narc beacons
« on: 16 July 2015, 03:42:52 »
Alpha Strike's writeup of the various Narc-related specials (INARC, CNARC, SNARC, p. 107) implies a numerical component specifying the number of bonus (i)Narc attacks a unit can make each turn. However, the conversion notes in the Companion (p. 125 for INARC, p. 128 for the others) make no mention of this value whatsoever -- a unit mounting "one or more" Narc or iNarc launchers supposedly simply gets a generic ability with no numerical value at all.

I'm not aware of any current errata resolving this contradiction, so how should (i)Narc beacons be accurately converted to Alpha Strike?
« Last Edit: 17 July 2015, 14:45:20 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Converting Narc beacons
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2015, 14:39:54 »
The NARC special should have a number if more than one.  Errata to the conversion rules coming up..
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: (Answered) Converting Narc beacons
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2015, 08:55:13 »
Got it, thanks. A followup question, if you don't mind: does a rating greater than 1 in a relevant special impact its point value (currently still a rating-independent constant on pages 139 and 143)? That is, if SNARC1 adds one point to the Offensive Special Ability Factor cost of a unit, how much should SNARC2 -- or higher, in the event that that should ever become relevant -- cost?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2015, 09:03:16 »
No changes to PV for NARC2+.    NARC is already only 0.5, a second NARC wouldn't even be another 0.5.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2015, 09:08:47 »
Actually, both standard and improved Narc are 1, it's only the compact version (i.e., the battle armor model, I believe) that's rated 0.5.

But okay, constant PV it is.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2015, 09:22:27 »
True, I'll throw it at the PV designer and see what he says :).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2015, 18:31:28 »
xotl just posted errata for the multiple NaRC and PV.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2015, 11:50:19 »
Good, that's settled then. Thanks again!

(And hey, that the last piece of errata may affect literally all of two canon units I can find on short notice doesn't mean some of us homebrewers haven't done some crazy stuff we might like to convert on occasion, too. ;))

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2015, 14:09:57 »
Oh, what's the other one?  nckestrel pointed out one unit and I corrected it, but I don't know what the second one is.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2015, 15:24:17 »
Oh, what's the other one?  nckestrel pointed out one unit and I corrected it, but I don't know what the second one is.

As far as I'm aware, there's the Strider SR-OA (dual Narc) and the Battle Cobra BLT-C-2OC (dual iNarc). So, exactly one example for each 'Mech-scale launcher...

...come to think of it, do battle armor-mounted Narc launchers convert per suit or per squad? That is, how high a CNARC rating does e.g. a Level I of Purifier (Narc)s get -- 1 because it has one launcher per trooper (as currently implied by the card), 6 because there are six troopers in a full unit, or 4.5 (rounded whichever way) because that's their Troop Factor?