Author Topic: battletech Introductory set..  (Read 1567 times)

ajac

• Private
battletech Introductory set..
« on: 16 December 2017, 08:44:10 »
Was thinking about getting into this again with the kiddo and was wondering umm can I buy the starter pack at?!!? or something similar lol

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Re: battletech Introductory set..
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2017, 08:56:55 »
There are two new box sets coming out next year, one a true beginner's set.  They showed the prototypes at MechCon a week or two ago.  You might have to dig a bit but the details should be in the New & Upcoming Releases thread.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

ajac

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2017, 09:18:31 »
oh awesome will keep my eyes open for that. Was wanting to make it a Christmas present but this works to. Time to introduce the next generation to a kick ass game.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2017, 09:40:27 »
Yep, the new sets will be perfect. One is a dip your toe set, with just two mechs, at a low price point, with introductory rules.  The larger one bumps up to eight mechs, which is more then plenty for any starting player.

There are low cost plastic lance packs out there to expand with. and after those intro sets, you'll want the Battletech manual. It is a mech only rulebook, with all the gun things mechs can do. Unlike the more comprehensive Total Warfare, its is mech centric, and has taken advanatge of time to be formatted in a way much better for newer players. Both sets have a couple of maps. There is a great section on 'things people usually get wrong about the rules' which will save a lot of time for new players, and has even surprised a few veteran players.

Link explaining it

http://bg.battletech.com/news/battlemech-manual-final-release/

The manual is out in the world right now. You could get yourself a Christmas present by picking it up in preparation. For more varied terrain, there are the hexpacks, and you can still find collections of the old paper hex map  packs out there in the wild.

Theres also a joyful option called Alpha strike, that your kid might like even better. Its a fast playing, minatures based version of Battletech. It  feels like battletech, but moves so much faster. Mechs are redueced to a simple lien of stats contained on a card the size of a normma playing card. Attacks are resolved with one roll, and you can play a company sized game to completion as fast (or faster) than many lance sized games of battletech.

You can read about that here:

http://bg.battletech.com/test/alpha-strike/5160-2/

If you get that, get the Companion as well which adds  essential official rules changes, and a spectrum of options.

good luck with bringing your kid into the game!

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2017, 11:45:29 »
While you're waiting for the new box sets (as many of us are) check out the free Quick Start rules (http://bg.battletech.com/downloads/). Everything you need can be printed for a quick game.
And welcome back, we're glad to have you.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2017, 12:26:50 »
I'll also point out, for the ALPHA STRIKE, all the cards (except the Aerospace Warships) are available on the MUL Database
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2017, 23:08:10 »
any one know what mechs will be in what box?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2017, 23:50:49 »
IIRC, the beginner box has the Griffin and Wolverine.
The GoAC box has either the Griffin or Wolverine repeat, along with Shadow Hawk, Catapult, Awesome, Battlemaster, Commando, Locust, and I think Thunderbolt.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Battletech Introductory set
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2017, 23:55:05 »
With these box sets there's going to be a very smooth and natural learning progression for new players, which is really nice.  For the longest time we had the QSR (quick-start rules, online only; many miss it), the (regularly out of print) mega-box, and then 400 pages of Total Warfare.

Now we'll have a brand new QSR online, plus the same QSR in the two-mech beginner box set, then the eight-mech advanced box set (standard rules, but for mechs and intro level gear only), then the BattleMech Manual (mechs, but 95% of the gear and more advanced rules), then Total Warfare and TacOps and IO.  People will be able to gently ramp up the complexity, and have multiple options as to what level they can ever choose from in the first place.  And the boxes should be more regularly available.  Combine that with the two BT video games coming out and I'm really looking forward to next year.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0