Author Topic: (Answered) Cargo Bay: Stuff a dropship in it?  (Read 3310 times)

CloaknDagger

• Major
(Answered) Cargo Bay: Stuff a dropship in it?
« on: 15 August 2013, 13:37:46 »
Say that I have a warship with a 100k ton cargo bay.

Can I fit a dropship inside of it?

Sorry for lack of page numbers, I'm not really sure what to put up.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2013, 21:11:50 by Xotl »

CloaknDagger

• Major
Re: Cargo Bay: Stuff a dropship in it?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2013, 17:57:30 »
Okay, I found that in the the IO Alpha document, it mentions that primitive ships could do it up to 5000 tons, but since it's not technically official, and since it's only referring to primitive ships, I'd still like confirmation.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2013, 21:11:41 »
Yes.  Though loading and unloading it would need to use the rules on p.42 of TacOps, likely resulting in many weeks of unloading per DropShip.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2013, 08:44:30 »
Yes.  Though loading and unloading it would need to use the rules on p.42 of TacOps, likely resulting in many weeks of unloading per DropShip.

:o

What overly complicated ridiculousness in that cargo bay would make it take a week to drop a ship out of a hole?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2013, 08:58:38 »
What overly complicated ridiculousness in that cargo bay would make it take a week to drop a ship out of a hole?

That's not a rule question. Bottom line: universe doesn't work that way, move along.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2013, 19:10:27 »
That's not a rule question. Bottom line: universe doesn't work that way, move along.

Well, I was discussing this, and I have ended up with some questions. First I'll just quote what I already wrote elsewhere:

Alright, I did the Strategic Ops math on this.

If you use all 33 doors for a 100k ton dropship launch, then using the maximum 33 Loader mechs, in this case, those nifty 2xLift Hoist LAMs in the other thread that are actually pretty useful here, then I get  5.314 days to unload it.

So, moving the cargo itself is pretty slow, but, again, these rules aren't made for moving dropships, and, there is the moving units rules there too, but it doesn't allow dropping into the vacuum, and it only divides the time in half.

In fact, the biggest thing to note is that it says that the doors "aren't big enough" to fit mechs, so mechs don't get a bonus to unloading speed.

So right there we know that the rules are definitely NOT made for finding the time to move a 100k ton dropship out of a cargo bay.

-----------------------------------------------

Yes, so seeing has the rules state that cargo bays are much smaller things than dropship bays, while the rules also say that cargo bays can fit dropships, its only reasonable to assume that the dropship bays and cargo bays are actually the same thing, and they converged a long time ago.

Therefore, logically, a cargo bay made to handle dropships would just be really, really big on the doors, so it could actually fit in and out.

Plus, I see no way that an entire dropship doesn't count as containerized, so that alone should reduce all the times on them to 1/5th.

So now, I'm wondering, the text of the Units and Personel in Cargo bays says cargo bay doors aren't large enough to fit mechs. Logically, how would they fit a dropship?

Also, can you use the Units in Cargo bays rules to get the dropship out faster? It doesn't seem to cover dumping things into the void of space for some reason.

Or, does the Dropship count as containerized and/or have a Zero-G pack? I ask because it's one big huge thing, and it has thrusters with which to control orientation.

All of this is page 41-43 Strat Ops.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2013, 00:05:47 »
Logically, how would they fit a dropship?

They don't. They use DropShip collars.

Paul

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2013, 01:12:06 »
They don't. They use DropShip collars.

Paul

So this is reversing the ruling by Xotl earlier?

Does this include the small 5k ton and less dropships as well?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2013, 06:51:05 »
So this is reversing the ruling by Xotl earlier?

Nope. What you're asking simply doesn't happen in-universe, so even if it's possible, your question is moot. What you do in your own games is up to you.

Does this include the small 5k ton and less dropships as well?

No, but you werent asking about 5k and less.