Author Topic: Heavy Metal Mini Maps  (Read 2510 times)

whiteshadowzo

• Master Sergeant
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
Heavy Metal Mini Maps
« on: 24 September 2011, 19:58:41 »
          Is it possible to create small maps that fit on a standard piece of paper. I was hoping to be able to fit like a square, er, rectangle of 9 of them onto a sheet to use as a guide. As if intelligence had gathered some photos on a fly-by and briefing forwarded over a composite map for the company to use. Or for a GM to have a general lay out of the land while keeping it a surprise from the other players until they headed off in whatever direction. I was thinking about shrinking the hex sizes in heavy metal but there doesn't seem to be a feature for that. Anybody ever try it? Or have ideas what what I might be able to do to.
it's a bit comforting knowing that to fire we're a same color- flammable. ~Orin J.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: Heavy Metal Mini Maps
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2011, 22:05:11 »
There are sites online where you can print your own hex-grid paper.  You might be able to print a sheet (or several) and then draw the terrain by hand for your own GM reference.  Just a thought.

Happy hunting,
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Jarron

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2011, 22:42:42 »
You can print a single map on a regular 8.5x11 sheet of paper for reference, but I don't think you can squeeze multiple maps on the single sheet.

whiteshadowzo

• Master Sergeant
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2011, 23:08:08 »
There are sites online where you can print your own hex-grid paper.  You might be able to print a sheet (or several) and then draw the terrain by hand for your own GM reference.  Just a thought.

I went to Incoptec to get some hex graph and figured I could take the pallet swatches and shrink and place. Of course that would require too much work that I'd rather not deal with.

My second idea, rather hard to explain, but would be to use one map and compress the data of each of the 9 (for argument's sake) sections into one small 8x11 in. Therefore, if the southwest map were composed of say 30% forests and a 10% water features I could take that section of map and "scale it down" taking a 5x5-6 hex square section of the overall map and detailing it to give a rough idea of what that areas terrain is like. Placing forest in 10 of those hexes and 3 hexes of water.

Also printing a landscaped multi-sheet playable surface map vs a small one paged demo map is done how? I see Save map image and save Multimap image, which as I'm looking at it is making me think I can get some of what I want even if done as a 2x2 map. I'd test it myself but my ink is empty  #P

Final bit, has anyone ever taken their saved maps to Staples or any other company for printing and or laminating? Costs, quality?
it's a bit comforting knowing that to fire we're a same color- flammable. ~Orin J.