Author Topic: (Answered) Followup: Point Defense and Capital Missiles  (Read 2988 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
As confirmed by this ruling, the use of point defense against capital missiles is resolved on a per-missile basis. Using the same example, an AMS point defense bay engaging a bay of five white sharks fires five times, attacking each missile separately.

Somehow it only recently occurred to me to ask the followup question: What if the point defense can't? For example, Non-AMS point defense systems on large craft can only fire once per turn. And by using large numbers of missiles, it's even possible to present an AMS with more targets than it has the ability to engage (by exhausting ammunition or heat capacity).

But the actual missile attack is resolved with one to hit roll for the entire bay, so returning to our previous example of a bay of five white shark missiles, assuming the point defense is not able to engage every missile in the shot, what happens? Are any to-hit penalties accumulated by point defense applied to the entire bay as a whole, do the to hits for the affected missiles have to be resolved separately?
« Last Edit: 09 August 2020, 03:38:22 by Xotl »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Followup: Point Defense and Capital Missiles
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2020, 02:34:28 »
Can you check the brand new SO errata release and tell me if that answers your question here?
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2020, 02:45:20 »
Can you check the brand new SO errata release and tell me if that answers your question here?

It appears so, yes. The change to the point defense rules basically eliminates any chance of the situation I described from actually happening. So it's all good.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2020, 03:38:16 »
Excellent, thank you.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0