Author Topic: Tactical Combat w/ Miniatures  (Read 1202 times)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
Tactical Combat w/ Miniatures
« on: 13 April 2014, 15:09:55 »
ATOW gives some rules for integrating "tactical" combat into game sessions.

The easiest is of course to switch to TW rules and run a TW battle.

To mesh with the 5 second combat turn in ATOW, ATOW generally gives conversion rules that basically say that whatever you can do in TW, you can only do half of it, or it takes twice as long. However, this "patch" wasn't comprehensive enough to avoid some confusion.

Thus far, I've found the following to work:

For a tactical ('mechs, tanks, etc.) scenario played on a miniatures wargame style diorama table, my players wrap theirs heads much easier around movement and range in inches, as opposed to in-game meters. So assuming 6m per inch works for you, I use the following conversions (it stems from the premise that 5" = 1 TW hex):

Movement = TW move x 2.5"
Jumping: Per turn, the distance is Jump x 2.5", but the jump takes two turns to complete. At the end of the first turn of jumping, the unit is at the apex (Max Height = Jump x 1") with LOS figured accordingly. Jumping to-hit modifiers applied both turns. Maximum altitude a unit can Jump over is Jump x 1"
Turns cost 5" of movement per 60 Degrees. Fractions count.
If using contoured terrain, 1" of elevation costs 5" of movement

Light woods, water, rough terrain and rubble costs double. Heavy woods costs triple.

Example: A 4/6/4 Panther can has a move in inches of 10"/15"/10" (Max 20"), when jumping, the Panther has a maximum altitude of 4".

Weapon Ranges are figured at Range in Hexes x 5", second number in the bracket taking precedence.
Example: A standard IS Medium Laser has a range of 0-3/4-6/7-9, in inches, it is now 0-15"/16"-30"/31" - 45"

Heat: Jumping generates 1 Heat per 5" jumped. If the amount of head generated between the turn it first jumps and the turn in lands is less than 3, additional heat is generated in the "landing" turn to get to the minimum of 3.

Heat sinks work at half efficiency. For odd heat sinks, alternate number of heat points cooled.

Movement to Hit Modifiers:
Multiply the movement in hexes by 2.5", so
0"-14" - No Mod
15" - 24" +1
25" - 34" +2
35" - 49" +3
and so on

This is sort of a work in progress. We find that the advantage of this format over the hex board is we're able to add more tactical detail to our engagements, but movement direction and distance is more generalized and thus smoother at times than straight TW.

I find this a particularly good format for smaller engagements, but not practical for anything with groups larger than lances.

It also meshes well if you have individual out of vehicle character movement during the game as well. For example, I ran a scenario in which the PCs were in 'Mechs, but data had to be retrieved from an office in the building. The PCs had the option of splitting their party between those that were disembarking their mechs and those that stayed in their mechs to protect their position.
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC