Author Topic: Outworld Alliance Formations  (Read 4730 times)

Feral Huntsman

• Private
Outworld Alliance Formations
« on: 27 July 2016, 18:50:29 »
So I was thinking of building an Outworld Alliance force and want to incorporate the reverse air lance formation mentioned in HB:Periphery but I am a little stumped on exactly how this would be matched up. 
There would be a Squadron of ASFs that would gain their SPA from the appropriate type, such as Aerospace Superiority or Attack Squadron.  But how many mechs would attach and at what level do they attach?  Would it be a lance of 4 attaching to the 6 fighter squadron, a lance of 4 attaching to a flight of 2, or maybe 1 mech attaching to a flight of 2?  And if it would be a lance of 4 mechs, would those mechs be able to chose their own formation for bonuses as well as be assigned in the "air lance"?

Any thoughts?

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
Re: Outworld Alliance Formations
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2016, 06:29:41 »
4 ASF's and 2 Battlemechs, then work your way upwards from there.

My .02 Escudo.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2016, 21:45:15 »
My .02 Escudo.

That's like .000000002 C-Bills?

While I like the idea of a reverse air lance, company, etc. its hard to see these things being very secure for sneaky raiders. They could come in in mechant droppers, emergency land at the miltary base and rip open the unit while on the ground. If they came in hot the Air unit would rip them up. Thus being over powered.

An Air Company (Squadron) would be 12 ASF and 6 mechs.  An Air Battalion (Wing) would be 36/18. That's a lot of fire power for a state that eschews military power. I could see Air Lances and Companies using Vees to fill out their Outworld's unit.

Something Like this for a company:

12 ASF
2 Mechs
4 Vees

A Battalion would be
36 ASF
6 Mechs
12 Vees
Maybe some infantry support for ground security. 3 platoons. 1 mech and 2 foot?

A bigger question is the operational stationing of these units. Are they on the moon? only by the capital city (perhaps the only major city on most Outworlds planets) Major words would get an Air Battalion and most a company or lance. I could see most OA worlds not even having mechs at all and the lances using Vees and ASF only.

User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

RexCalices

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2016, 02:12:16 »
I'm looking at something similar maybe and I was wondering what mechs can be found in the Outlands Alliance. There's no clear list I can find like for the TC or MC, and of course the only ones they actually build for most of their history are Locusts, Stingers and Wasps. So what are the most common FS and DC mechs to float out that way?

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2016, 09:50:21 »
The OA was listed in one of the old Periphery books as selling some aerospace fighters to the DC in exchange for a few 'Mechs, which someone else had mentioned were supposedly mostly mediums.  My "guess" would be the typical SHD, PXH, TBT, and possibly GRF designs.  No clue if anything heavier was included, and I assume that getting parts for any cobbled together wrecks of what had originally been Star League 'Mechs a few hundred years before would be problematical.  Until the deal where they started building the 60 ton Merlin under license, their domestic 'Mech production consisted entirely of 20 tonners.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2016, 11:05:07 »
as far as bonuses go.. they'd basically fall under the "alternative nova's" rule, IMO. the formation bonus would go to the fighters, but the mechs don't get anything.

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2017, 22:53:01 »
I'm looking at something similar maybe and I was wondering what mechs can be found in the Outlands Alliance. There's no clear list I can find like for the TC or MC, and of course the only ones they actually build for most of their history are Locusts, Stingers and Wasps. So what are the most common FS and DC mechs to float out that way?

The Master Unit List (MUL) http://www.masterunitlist.info/Era/FactionEraDetails?FactionId=36&EraId=13 is always a great place to start with who has what.

For what's built within the OA, they built Locusts, Stingers, and Wasps like you said. There were also factories that built the Night Hawk, Merlin, Bombardier, and Charger within the OA. And then, of course, when the Ravens come more is built, but I'm assuming you mean earlier than that.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2017, 06:29:34 »
For vees, use stock Hunters in all eras.  ;)
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Register