Author Topic: Need some help picking battlemechs.  (Read 1871 times)

Ferromort

• Recruit
Need some help picking battlemechs.
« on: 22 June 2017, 09:18:42 »
Hello, I'm new to the game and I want to pick some inner sphere battlemechs. I like the idea of a high tech, long range hard hitting shooty playstyle

Could someone please give me some advice on wich mechs to pick from the different weight classes in the 3025 - 3050 period?

Is the Federated Suns the most techie faction besides Comstar?

bobthecoward

• Captain
Re: Need some help picking battlemechs.
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2017, 09:32:27 »
What are you trying to do? Is it just to play around with? Battletech has no mandatory faction list so you can combine whatever you want. Minis are also not required so you are not required to have the minis.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2017, 10:53:49 »
IMHO, in the 3025-3050 era, most factions are technically much of a muchness. There's no vast disparity, anyway. There are some weapons preferences, ostensibly, at least for the primary heavy weapon on 'mechs - Draconis Combine like PPCs, Federated Suns like autocannons - but even that's not a complete given. With autocannons, you have to pick range or damage, so if you want range and damage, you're probably wanting PPCs and lasers. Unless you prefer to go for missile spam ...

And, as bobthecoward mentioned, there's no mandatory faction list, especially when you're just starting and getting the hang of the rules.

Everything changes in late 3049/early 3050 when the Clans turn up with better technology ... [grin]
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2017, 11:21:42 »
There are a few chassis types and a few variants of standard chassis that are mostly "House specific", but 90% of the 'Mechs are used by most or all Houses, as well as the Periphery.  Comstar is "high tech", but that technological advantage remains hidden until the Clan Invasion.  If you choose something that's not built by the House you're representing and not sold elsewhere, it can still be attributed to salvage, rebuilt with parts purchased through the black market.  The few remaining scraps of original high-tech Star League equipment are rare and valuable.

That said, a few "iconic" hard-hitting 3025 ranged designs would be:

Awesome (80 ton Assault) 3x PPC

Archer (70 ton Heavy) - 2x LRM-20 racks
Warhammer (70 ton Heavy) 2x PPC
Marauder (75 ton Heavy) 2x PPC
Crusader (65 ton Heavy) 2x LRM-15

Trebuchet (50 ton Medium) 2x LRM-15
Griffin (55 ton Medium) PPC + LRM-10
Vindicator (45 ton Medium) PPC + LRM5
Whitworth (40 ton Medium) 2x LRM-10

Panther (35 ton Light) PPC
Valkyrie (30 ton Light) LRM-10

There are numerous variants as well, so you can find different weapons configurations for many other chassis designs that fit your needs.  Personally, in 3025, speed is still an effective weapon, so I prefer faster designs that can "run and gun" with hit penalties to anything that shoots at them, rather than lethargic slugs that simply sit there and soak up and return mass firepower (which turns a great tactical game into just another "skill optional" die-rolling contest).

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2017, 11:31:09 »
There are a few chassis types and a few variants of standard chassis that are mostly "House specific", but 90% of the 'Mechs are used by most or all Houses, as well as the Periphery.  Comstar is "high tech", but that technological advantage remains hidden until the Clan Invasion.  If you choose something that's not built by the House you're representing and not sold elsewhere, it can still be attributed to salvage, rebuilt with parts purchased through the black market.  The few remaining scraps of original high-tech Star League equipment are rare and valuable.

That said, a few "iconic" hard-hitting 3025 ranged designs would be:

Awesome (80 ton Assault) 3x PPC

Archer (70 ton Heavy) - 2x LRM-20 racks
Warhammer (70 ton Heavy) 2x PPC
Marauder (75 ton Heavy) 2x PPC
Crusader (65 ton Heavy) 2x LRM-15

Trebuchet (50 ton Medium) 2x LRM-15
Griffin (55 ton Medium) PPC + LRM-10
Vindicator (45 ton Medium) PPC + LRM5
Whitworth (40 ton Medium) 2x LRM-10

Panther (35 ton Light) PPC
Valkyrie (30 ton Light) LRM-10

There are numerous variants as well, so you can find different weapons configurations for many other chassis designs that fit your needs.  Personally, in 3025, speed is still an effective weapon, so I prefer faster designs that can "run and gun" with hit penalties to anything that shoots at them, rather than lethargic slugs that simply sit there and soak up and return mass firepower (which turns a great tactical game into just another "skill optional" die-rolling contest).

I would add the Longbow and Thunderbolt to that list as well.

I would also suggest the Kurita Version of the Shadow Hawk, The Marik Version of the Wolverine, and the Davion Version of the Phoenix Hawk.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2017, 11:59:34 »
Grab an Awesome: they are great for new players and veterans alike , they mount three or four PPC's (upgrade the 8Q to a 9Q as soon as possible), and they have a good amount of armor to boot. The only thing it does fulfill is a 'high tech' rating but honestly I haven't looked at the tech rules for Battletech yet so I could be dead wrong anyways.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2017, 12:22:31 »
I would add the Longbow and Thunderbolt to that list as well.

I would also suggest the Kurita Version of the Shadow Hawk, The Marik Version of the Wolverine, and the Davion Version of the Phoenix Hawk.
I love the Thunderbolt (a poor man's Assault 'Mech), but it's a "jack of all trades".  The Wolverine "M" variant and the Phoenix Hawk (all variants) are excellent additions to almost any force, but not geared for the "long range shooty" style of play; I'll take one any day, though.  The Longbow is similar in function to the Archer, and a good addition to the list.  The Kurita Shadow Hawk variant also fits the request.

Perhaps a better idea would be to pick up some variety, play them, and develop your own style.  What works on paper is often not what turns out to be fun.  Often, having "options" is better than having more sheer firepower.  Once you learn the complexities of movement and modifiers, the "stand and deliver" style of play gets boring quickly.  Then again, some players prefer it.

Incidentally, Tyler Jorgensson's suggested Awesome variant won't become available until the 3040s, if I recall.  The Awesome is a great "anchor" for a force (in both positive and negative ways), but with a 3/5 movement profile is far too slow for anything other than a "stand there and shoot" style of play.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2017, 05:58:01 »
Perhaps a better idea would be to pick up some variety, play them, and develop your own style.  What works on paper is often not what turns out to be fun.  Often, having "options" is better than having more sheer firepower.  Once you learn the complexities of movement and modifiers, the "stand and deliver" style of play gets boring quickly.  Then again, some players prefer it.

Excellent suggestion. Figure substitution is often accepted, and card counters or stand-ups may be as well, depending on who you're playing against. For 'practice battles', they should definitely be acceptable. Also, some theoretical tactics don't actually survive contact with the rules, let alone the enemy, so it's worth trying out different approaches. Long-range shooty approaches can work really well on a wide-open map with some cover for your snipers, but if the opposition has a bunch of fast muggers that can get up and in your face, it can ruin the day for you. (That Marik Wolverine variant is renowned, and beloved (or hated), for doing this.) And, once you start introducing some of the more advanced rules, standing in one place can be an invitation to an inbound artillery mission.

(That said, having started playing with the 3025 machines, I've still got a soft spot for making my opponents face a combined Marauder/Archer barrage if they want to close with me.)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2017, 10:22:30 »
Long-range and hard-hitting, eh? First stop then is probably a Pillager, which combines elephant-hide armor, twin Gauss rifles, and even a handful of jump jets to create a tough and surprisingly mobile long-range 'ow' platform.

Beyond that, I'm more mobility-minded personally, so anything that can't hit about 5/8 (or at the very least 4/6/4) tends to stay at home for me- which means mediums and fast heavies are where I live. It's amazing how handy jump jets can be for putting your sniper Mech up high by hopping up on a hill- or quickly finding a way back down in case things go pear-shaped.

Another couple of suggestions:

+Vehicles. Don't discount a tank because it's not all awesome and leggy. Heavy-hitters like the terrifying Alacorn and its trio of Gauss rifles, the lowly LRM Carrier, etc. can change the course of a battle quickly with a well-placed salvo. There's also fast-movers that can hit surprisingly hard- if you have interest in House Liao gear, the Regulator is possibly the finest fast-strike unit in the Inner Sphere, faster than a Locust and hitting with a turret-mounted Gauss rifle. Either get some, or at least be very concerned about an enemy having them. And of course, if you want a close-range bodyguard for your long-range platforms, a Demolisher is simply the best way out there to tell a snooping scout to go the hell away- twin AC-20s is a pretty clear message to send.

+Light Gauss. (NOTE: This weapon is from about 3060 onward) People often eschew them (or outright hate on them) here, because it's a big, heavy weapon that only does eight points of damage. And that IS unfortunate. But it also reaches out to ranges that many weapons can't even reply at, and that also means its medium range bracket starts a lot sooner than most- so you're hitting for eight points when the enemy can't reliably respond. But only eight points, right? Yeah, that's why you never deploy ONE. It's a Marik-made weapon, and Marik is almost always about working with a team to bring down an enemy- so you're firing SEVERAL of these things in conjunction. It works well in that regard- really, anything with an AC-10 often could only be improved with an LGR installed.

+OK, ok, so the Clans eat babies and are grown in coffee cups, whatever. Doesn't mean having the occasional salvaged tech isn't fun now and then. Don't go overboard with it, but a little here and there can be fun. I suggest the Mad Cat Mk.II for a big beefy nightmare, with twin Gauss, twin LRM-10s, a quartet of medium lasers, and jump jets on a 90 ton frame (and readily available in the Inner Sphere to anyone willing to rub coins together). Another good one from recent years is the Wolf Clan's Sun Cobra, which is little more than dual-Gauss strapped to an engine with a targeting computer. Not very quick, so I'm a little shy to use them (also it's Wolf-made, so I hate cleaning all the dog hair out of the cockpit), but in a defensive role a Sun Cobra or two can be a sobering thing to deal with- yes, it's post-Jihad tech, but many Omnimechs can easily be made to ape this configuration. Another to think about- one that I personally have a colorful history with- is the Bane/Kraken. An Ultra AC-2 is a pretty anemic weapon. TEN of them, however, adds up alarmingly quick, particularly when backed by other long-range units like that Sun Cobra.

+One more thing. I play Marik when I'm not a Clanner, and part of that is because my longtime love of the Orion knows no bounds. It's not the fastest unit, the toughest armor, nor the most perfect weapon layout, but somehow it always seems to all add up to more than the sum of its parts. They can fight at any range modestly well, they take a beating that seems unlikely for its size, and somehow find ways to win fights where other similar-sized machines wilt. Others may (and likely WILL) disagree with me, and they're welcome to- for me, an old ON-1K (or in more recent years a 2M) will absolutely dominate a battlefield given the chance, fill almost any role I can throw at it, and hobble home in victorious tatters.

"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2017, 11:02:54 »
Don't forget the Catapult K2 for intro tech and it's 3050 upgrade, the K3.

Basically a slightly lighter Warhammer, but better than most Warhammers from that time frame.
I have spoken.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2017, 14:35:09 »
Don't forget the Catapult K2 for intro tech and it's 3050 upgrade, the K3.

Basically a slightly lighter Warhammer, but better than most Warhammers from that time frame.

Truth. Nasty little boggart, that one. Just wish it had a way to keep the jump jets... ah well, can't have everything in life. (Leave it to Kurita to twist designs in bizarre ways for odd reasons- the Catapult, Shadow Hawk, Phoenix Hawk, etc. all become very different machines than usual in Draconis hands.)

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2017, 23:45:51 »
Kuritans tend to just build weird in general. They tend to use few LRMs, with most mechs they actually construct using MRMs, PPCs, and SRMs. While there are some exceptions, most of those exceptions are omnimechs.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2017, 00:03:03 »

Haven't seen these mentioned, so...

The DV-1D Devastator is a FedRat redesign of a high-tech Star League assault with solid mid-range, if not quite long-range, firepower (dual AC/10s and large lasers).  Standard 3/5 speed and near-max armor for a 100-tonner.

The JM6-A Jagermech is a FedRat variant ostensibly for AA work and very long-ranged for its time, carrying 30 LRM tubes and dual AC/2s.  Carries a couple more tons of armor than the standard Jager, which while better, isn't saying much.  Standard 4/6 speed for its time and weight.

The RFL-3C Rifleman is a FedRat variant with dual AC/10s for solid mid-range, if not quite long-range, firepower.  Standard 4/6 speed for its time and weight with an extra ton of armor over the standard Rifleman.

Hope this helps.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2017, 02:35:24 »
Strictly speaking, FWL is the most long-range dependent faction with short-range bodyguards. If your looking for a roleplaying unit, play FWL. 

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2017, 10:03:13 »
Strictly speaking, FWL is the most long-range dependent faction with short-range bodyguards. If your looking for a roleplaying unit, play FWL.

Also, if your idea of fun is taking the occasional break from kicking your own ass to team up and beat up the neighbors now and then before going back to fighting yourself. (Fire Mandrills are nodding in agreement)

+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2017, 17:18:57 »
Truth. Nasty little boggart, that one. Just wish it had a way to keep the jump jets... ah well, can't have everything in life. (Leave it to Kurita to twist designs in bizarre ways for odd reasons- the Catapult, Shadow Hawk, Phoenix Hawk, etc. all become very different machines than usual in Draconis hands.)
Speaking of nasty boggarts, the Boggart 2 is a pain, 5/8/7 with a Clan MPL and lots of armor.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2017, 14:04:06 »
Hello, I'm new to the game and I want to pick some inner sphere battlemechs. I like the idea of a high tech, long range hard hitting shooty playstyle

Could someone please give me some advice on wich mechs to pick from the different weight classes in the 3025 - 3050 period?

Is the Federated Suns the most techie faction besides Comstar?

All can be found in TRO 3039

Light:
Panther
Valkyrie

Medium:
Griffin
Dervish
Whitworth
Cicada 3C
Trebuchet
Vindicator
Centurion

Heavy:
Dragon 1G
Warhammer
Marauder
Archer
Crusader
Catapult
Ostsol 4F
Lancelot
Thunderbolt

Assault:
Longbow
Awesome
Stalker
Mauler
Thug
Goliath
Marauder II

Really you have a lot of choices when it comes to long range and hard hitting. Compared to mechs of later eras, these are rather anemic, but in 3025 all of these mechs check the long range and hard hitting box.

For a faction, I wouldn't get too bogged down. Fedsuns for that era is probably the most advanced, and should have reasonable access to most of the mechs I listed above.

For The Archon!

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2017, 17:49:54 »
As my distinguished peers have pointed out, there is a plethora of mechs to pick from, and most of them have very many variants across the various eras.

So, honestly, I'd say just pick the ones that you think look good, or have cool names, or cool stories.  Nearly all of them will have a variant with a bit of high tech and some good ranged guns.

If you want to narrow things down, the sub set of the game that's got the most high tech and long range is the Clans, but again nearly all of their mechs fit the bill, so I could give a list ten score long.  Again, just pick the good looking ones with cool names.

Then, when it turns out that half the good looking mechs with cool names aren't to your liking and half are, then you'll have found what you really like in a mech.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 22 July 2017, 10:20:20 »
It's also worth remembering you don't necessarily need to  have the minis you wish to play straight off the bat. So what I have done is play through the mechs in the various record sheet books using proxy models, which gives me an idea which mechs are the most fun/best suited to my playstyle (protip: they're all vulnerable to bad dicemanship). After that, start to read the TROs to get an idea of the background of the mechs you like, they will tell you where they are made and which houses use them. That way you get to pick a faction based on the 'mechs that you are most drawn to playing. Finally, buy your minis, jump on the camospecs website and find a paint scheme that suits your choice of faction, and get painting!