Author Topic: "Ugly" 'Mechs That I Still Love...  (Read 7226 times)

Crimson_Langur_1970

• Sergeant
"Ugly" 'Mechs That I Still Love...
« on: 24 July 2012, 11:22:23 »
I know this topic is incredibly subjective; that's why ugly is in quotes. But there are some, IMHO, ugly 'Mech designs whose rules AND miniature I still manage to love.

Case in point, the Eyleuka. Weird-looking, but I think a decent Medium 'Mech for Quick-Strike that includes the option for an all-energy variant and amazing mobility couple with decent armor.

Anybody else want to offer up an "ugly duckling" that they still like? 

« Last Edit: 24 July 2012, 12:00:45 by Crimson_Langur_1970 »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: "Ugly" 'Mechs That I Still Love...
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2012, 11:42:28 »
Arctic Fox (it's been hilariously lampooned as a toilet)
Duan Gung
Bloodhound

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Crimson_Langur_1970

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2012, 11:55:26 »
I also like the Bloodhound!

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2012, 12:10:32 »
Yeoman  Looks like a something out of the old Monster Manual with missiles strapped on it.  But 50 LRMS tossed at you can't be discounted. 

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2012, 12:55:38 »
The Thor. Let's be honest, with the stumpy legs, the mis-matched arms, the head up on the shoulder, it's not going to win 'best in show'. But... if you don't have at least a healthy respect for it, it means you've never fought one.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Crimson_Langur_1970

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2012, 13:26:50 »
The Thor. Let's be honest, with the stumpy legs, the mis-matched arms, the head up on the shoulder, it's not going to win 'best in show'. But... if you don't have at least a healthy respect for it, it means you've never fought one.

Yes, both the Thor and the Loki possess a weird asymmetry that is kind of cool. 

And Banzai, the Yeoman has to be in anyone's top 5 of the "all-Ugly" crew. But savagely efficient within its combat role.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2012, 13:55:33 »
Firts time I heard that the Thor is a ugly mech,in this case then below it there would be an infinite number.

jayhawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2012, 14:27:34 »
Penthiselia- the ugly love-child of a Thunderbolt and a WWII P-47.
Major T.J. "King" Kong:
"Well, boys, I reckon this is it - nuclear combat toe to toe with the Roosskies. Now look, boys, I 'aint much of a hand at makin' speeches, but I got a pretty fair idea that something doggone important is goin' on back there. And I got a fair idea the kinda personal emotions that some of you fellas may be thinkin'. Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human bein's if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelin's about nuclear combat.

torren

• Corporal
  • Donut Destoryer
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2012, 22:16:43 »
I love me some Axeman but really looks like a Alien lumberjack...but love it!!!  Hunchback looks like it should be in a Mel Brooks movie but love it tooo!!!!
R.I.P Jerry Ray Mapes 10/17/1965-04/08/09  Brothers Forever!!!

Where exactly is page XX ??!!!!

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2012, 00:47:59 »
i like the Cauldron-born, hip-shoulders and all. sure it has problems (it's a clan 'mech, i consider that a pretty big problem itself) but that thing has moxie.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

katya_Kerensky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2012, 05:32:31 »
if i had to pick one, for the longest time it was the jenner IIC it just never sat right with me, but now I would have to say the marauder II (Reseen),      It was a slight let down during the click games faction wars, and unless you break it from its static pose it just doesnt have the look intimidation factor it should have,   
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."
City Fighting-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20092.0.html
Sword of Light-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18206.msg416054.html#msg416054
Lyran Guards-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18212.msg411418.html#msg411418
3rd Edition love-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18214.0.html

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2012, 09:43:01 »
Jenner - However it can go! and four MED lasers is pretty good for a light, same amount as a catapult.
Stealth - Bug eyes, but good variations for blitzkrieg (the action)
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2012, 11:28:01 »
I've always loved using the "walking trashcan" that is the Urbie.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2012, 11:30:16 by Legion »

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2012, 12:19:32 »
I've always loved using the "walking trashcan" that is the Urbie.
are those good at all? Curious
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2012, 13:52:22 »
Striker Battlemech. Ugly as possible but exchange the AC 5 with a LRM 15 and you have a Zeus.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2012, 15:20:03 »
Urbies are slow to the point of being embarassing, but in bad terrain (like a city, surprise!) an Urbanmech can hop out from behind cover and deliver surprising amounts of damage- since their armor and engine are so light, most of the Mech's weight is devoted to a massive weapon like a big autocannon (usually). It's a mobile-ish gun turret, so as long as you remember to use it as such- and not like a normal Mech- it can be very useful. Outside of its element, like out in open areas for example, an Urbanmech is more or less disposable- it can't get behind cover or hit a target before it just gets torn apart by long range fire, and can't move enough to make itself a difficult target.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2012, 15:43:11 »
There's also the matter of that new Arrow IV Urbie variant.  Who needs speed when you're firing from 10 maps away?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2012, 16:37:20 »
Ah, the Jackal. The little bird legged pot-bellied back stabbing sniper. Sure it looks silly but there is just something indeering about speedy sniper mechs for me. I've often heard it scoffed at because it has the seemingly useless SRM-2...unless you load it with inferno's.  >:D Then it becomes a speedy mech AND vehicle hunter.

Yep, love me some Jackal.  O0

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2012, 16:45:50 »
Stalker.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2012, 16:47:43 »
Ah, the Jackal. The little bird legged pot-bellied back stabbing sniper. Sure it looks silly but there is just something indeering about speedy sniper mechs for me. I've often heard it scoffed at because it has the seemingly useless SRM-2...unless you load it with inferno's.  >:D Then it becomes a speedy mech AND vehicle hunter.

Yep, love me some Jackal.  O0

-Gunz

The SRM on the Jackal is a Streak 2... no inferno happiness

The variant from XTRO Marik is nice.  Angel ECM,  AMS, ERPPC with capacitor
« Last Edit: 25 July 2012, 16:49:21 by Sartris »

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2012, 17:00:17 »
The SRM on the Jackal is a Streak 2... no inferno happiness

The variant from XTRO Marik is nice.  Angel ECM,  AMS, ERPPC with capacitor

Well that's an easy enough fix. Probably why I forgot, I changed the load-out long ago. Yes, the XTRO variant is exceptionally fun to play...especially when you flank your opponents forces.  ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2012, 17:03:39 »
Urbies

What are your thoughts on a company of urbies going against a previously-used Marik assault company? Example of useful? ;p

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2012, 00:17:43 »
Chimera is one of the most ulgy mechs, IMO
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 26 July 2012, 02:24:10 »
I find the Urbanmech useful in all tactical situations, up to and and including orbital bombardment.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

rafale56

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 26 July 2012, 06:40:10 »
Chimaera is still the ugliest model designed for me, even though its performances are hard to get in play, it can be the savior of the day......but how ugly is it!! ^-^

Friendly

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2012, 08:54:56 »
I like chimera, so wierd and looks like a functional mech.
Argus is not the prettiest bird but its PPC variant is pretty nice.

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2012, 16:59:06 »
I find the Urbanmech useful in all tactical situations, up to and and including orbital bombardment.

I'm seriously hoping you mean as part of the salvo and not that you've somehow fit capital-scale weapons on your Urbies now.  :(

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2012, 22:06:00 »
I'm seriously hoping you mean as part of the salvo and not that you've somehow fit capital-scale weapons on your Urbies now.  :(

:)
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Stingray

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 27 July 2012, 00:18:17 »
No idea why but i really like the Champion... I know its both ugly and not that great but i like it for some reason.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #29 on: 27 July 2012, 01:43:17 »
Starslayer

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #30 on: 27 July 2012, 02:00:59 »
There's an ugly mech I don't love: The Jagermech III

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 27 July 2012, 02:10:13 »
Starslayer

no, no- this is about ugly 'mechs. not the sexy ones.  :)

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #32 on: 27 July 2012, 03:04:31 »
Most people believe the 'Mech does not physically look good. I looked at the record sheet and bought 14.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #33 on: 27 July 2012, 05:15:09 »
Most people believe the 'Mech does not physically look good. I looked at the record sheet and bought 14.

I'd hardly say that is the case.  It looks like, well, a 'Mech.  Unlike, say, the Yeoman which looks like a giant ass full of missiles.

My choice for "ugly" 'Mechs I love is the Huron Warrior.  I've always thought it looked cool as heck.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 27 July 2012, 05:26:00 »
For some reason I like the hunchbacked Jason-wannabe Verfolger despite the severely lopsided art (and even worse miniature).

Crimson_Langur_1970

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 27 July 2012, 05:50:08 »
I'd hardly say that is the case.  It looks like, well, a 'Mech.  Unlike, say, the Yeoman which looks like a giant ass full of missiles.

My choice for "ugly" 'Mechs I love is the Huron Warrior.  I've always thought it looked cool as heck.

+1! The Huron Warrior possesses a certain character that attracts me.  In universe, pilots of this 'Mech must surely experience a higher rate of fire than other, similarly armed and armored 'Mechs. That headdress has to be a fire magnet!

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #36 on: 27 July 2012, 11:54:31 »
Unlike, say, the Yeoman which looks like a giant ass full of missiles.

Damnit CT, I never liked the Yeoman, despised it to be exact...but I never thought of it as a "giant ass full of missiles".

It's been at least 5 minutes since I first read that and I'm still chuckling and wiping the "laughed so hard tears" from my face.

Thanks to you, thats all I see now.  No longer a ridiculous mech/mini...just a giant ass full of missiles.

Not sure if thats a good thing.

Thanks for the laugh! :))

For me I love the Ost series.  UBE (Ugly But Effective) mechs...though not ugly to me.

"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #37 on: 27 July 2012, 19:39:18 »
mewchos grassy-ass you guys, thats pretty phunny.
an ugly I've liked is the jagermech, maybe because it reminds me of a 1950s interperetation of a rifleman

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #38 on: 27 July 2012, 22:07:31 »
What are your thoughts on a company of urbies going against a previously-used Marik assault company? Example of useful? ;p

Paul

In the box canyon maps? The kind of crap terrain I was talking about? In overwhelming numbers? Against previously-crippled and ammo-challenged opponents?

****** you, little man.  ;D

+Crow T. Robot+

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 27 July 2012, 22:19:59 »
In the box canyon maps? The kind of crap terrain I was talking about? In overwhelming numbers? Against previously-crippled and ammo-challenged opponents?

****** you, little man.  ;D

mwahaha!

Also, it was 12 on 11. Overwhelming? ;)

I like the part where 4 assault Mechs doubled back in the face of half a Wasp.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Noshoba

• Lieutenant
  • Vulgar Gryphons Commander
« Reply #40 on: 28 July 2012, 20:39:47 »
Like the usual  stats  especially the Nightsky 6T   but would love to see the cobra look go away and the mini was kind of lopsided.  Now someone did a revamp that is rather sweet looking .
Hauptmann-Kommandant Rienhart von Kolnitz  senior commander of Erprobungskommando 19 "SturmWache"

Captain "Colonel" Chian Richatlan  commander of the mercenary  "Vulgar Gryphons " Special Opewrations Group

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #41 on: 29 July 2012, 05:07:31 »
x me is the Thunderstallion,I love this huge piece of metal with special ammo.

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 29 July 2012, 08:56:29 »
x me is the Thunderstallion,I love this huge piece of metal with special ammo.
I wouldn't describe the Thunder Stallion as ugly. It's blocky, true, but it's symmetrical and has a functional aesthetic about it. (I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but mine is assembled and calling out for paint......)

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #43 on: 29 July 2012, 16:01:10 »
Kodiak- but who can argue with what it can do. more the sculpt i think is ugly, but maybe its time to buy one and repose it like on the CCG

Register