Author Topic: (Non-BattleTech) Jovian Chronicles Wyvern  (Read 2463 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
(Non-BattleTech) Jovian Chronicles Wyvern
« on: 14 January 2014, 20:18:42 »
I picked these up because, hey! More giant robots. I also picked up the rulebook and setting stuff to find out how things worked. I liked it.

So here's a Wyvern, a CEGA staple.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
Re: (Non-BattleTech) Jovian Chronicles Wyvern
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2014, 00:08:53 »
Reminds me of the Dom Troppen from Gundam. I like the colors on it. Very cool!
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2014, 16:31:28 »
Nice! O0

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2014, 16:53:25 »
The CEGA Wyern is one of my favourist mechanicals ever. Nice work there!
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2014, 16:57:52 »
Very nice!

Is that glow-in-the dark paint on its back?? I've experimented with the stuff in the past. I like it, but I found it very hard to thin and manipulate.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2014, 17:03:25 »
Is that glow-in-the dark paint on its back??

No, it's not. It's simply a wash technique I use. Instead of doing a dark wash, I start with whatever color I want, and then start adding slight gradients of whiter and brighter in thinner and thinner wet coats, starting from outside and letting it pool in the center.

Oh. Btw. The 'eye-glass' on the head is not jeweling. That's supposed to be the reflection of a planetary horizon from orbit, with a star or two in the deep black.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2014, 17:11:33 »
No, it's not. It's simply a wash technique I use. Instead of doing a dark wash, I start with whatever color I want, and then start adding slight gradients of whiter and brighter in thinner and thinner wet coats, starting from outside and letting it pool in the center.

Oh. Btw. The 'eye-glass' on the head is not jeweling. That's supposed to be the reflection of a planetary horizon from orbit, with a star or two in the deep black.

Interesting! the cockpit is very finely-detailed work. I'm experimenting with similarly-scaled details on a project of my own at the moment. What size brush did you use?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2014, 17:27:08 »
 O0

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2014, 17:28:33 »
Interesting! the cockpit is very finely-detailed work. I'm experimenting with similarly-scaled details on a project of my own at the moment. What size brush did you use?

Uhh… I don't have it on hand to tell you, and I probably wouldn't know where to find the exact size brush. For that one, I used what amounts to a 3mm diameter brush with a 10mm long tip. It was a low quality brush a friend gave me that had a curl to the bristles at the end. It makes doing round things pretty easy.

I've been using a cut-down brush that's roughly 1 to 1.5 mm diameter for finer things, like the star.

Some things I have ways of just working around in layers, but for fine lines, like the smile on the smiley face, I have a brush that has been cut and worn down to all of 3 or 4 hairs.

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2014, 17:40:03 »
Uhh… I don't have it on hand to tell you, and I probably wouldn't know where to find the exact size brush. For that one, I used what amounts to a 3mm diameter brush with a 10mm long tip. It was a low quality brush a friend gave me that had a curl to the bristles at the end. It makes doing round things pretty easy.

I've been using a cut-down brush that's roughly 1 to 1.5 mm diameter for finer things, like the star.

Some things I have ways of just working around in layers, but for fine lines, like the smile on the smiley face, I have a brush that has been cut and worn down to all of 3 or 4 hairs.

Yes, I use similar equipment. I think the biggest challenge when it comes to details like that is paint consistency. Too thin, it runs all over; too thick, it leaves a visible ridge/bump on the model.

Do you thin your paints?

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2014, 17:43:13 »
They're walmart paints or the Michaels equivalent. I have to always water them down. It takes some work getting the right consistency sometimes, but nothing I can't fix quickly.

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2014, 17:47:23 »
They're walmart paints or the Michaels equivalent. I have to always water them down. It takes some work getting the right consistency sometimes, but nothing I can't fix quickly.

Right-o. Well, again, awesome job here!

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2014, 17:49:40 »
Well, again, awesome job here!

Thank'ee. :D

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2014, 18:24:22 »
Very nice! I love the color choices. I have some of these mini's lying around somewhere from my heavy gear days. May have to dig it up now.  O0

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2014, 14:58:28 »
I gotta admit, having played around with the Munsell Soil Color chart for the last 3 years had inspired this. This is an Earth unit, and I wanted earth tones.

Glad other people like it.

I do have a goal, if I can snag a couple, of modding one of these so that it's at the very least got it's feet on the ground. It may take  two because of all the filing and cutting I'll need to do with the feet between the kick plates and 'toes'.

It's a shame they didn't make that kind of sculpt themselves, because I hate having to waste minis like that.

Register