Author Topic: IWM and UK customers  (Read 3140 times)

-Ice

• Sergeant
IWM and UK customers
« on: 19 April 2014, 17:35:46 »
I'm looking to start my metal crack collection.... I have more than enough plastic crack (WH40K) on my painting table so I'm looking to expand.  The fact that the box set minis are terrible only makes this an attractive choice.

However, it seems like only IWM carries a good selection of minis.  RP Europe doesn't seem to have as wide a selection.  Because of this, I am wondering if it is wise to order direct from IWM instead..... but I am in the UK.  Can anyone tell me how much it costs to ship and if getting things this way is a smooth experience or a pain in the behind?

My first order would be the staple mechs --- Hunchie, Jenner, Spider, Awesome, Atlas, Madcat, Vulture, and so on.  The size of the order would only be limited by my spending allowance at the time.

I'd like to hear from UK/EU players and their experience with IWM, or if they source their minis some other way, I'd like to hear about options as well.

Thanks!

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
Re: IWM and UK customers
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2014, 17:56:52 »
Hey! I'm from western Europe, and have very good experience with IWM, they are very responsive via email if you have any order problems. The usual shipping price is 20$, unless you make the order for more then 200$, as I remember, then it is free. Had some issues with bigger orders, like some parts or minis missed, but that all resolves by communicating to order menager, and they ship replacement of whatever for free. I also did a lot of purchases from ebay. Hope that helps;-)
« Last Edit: 19 April 2014, 17:58:37 by Whitar »

SteveUK

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2014, 19:16:46 »
Hi, All the mechs you have listed you can get from RP Europe, It's only the latest mini's you will struggle to get. If however you do order from IWM, they are very easy to do business with, every order I have placed has been spot on

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2014, 23:11:27 »
Should take another look at the new intro box.  The quality issue is fixed....
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2014, 06:01:46 »
I'd second what everyone else has already said. I've ordered a few minis from IWM and they arrived promptly and were in good condition, but the added shipping expenses mean that needs to be a rarity for me.

I've had stellar service from RPE, and the minis tend to be on my doorstep within a week of placing the order. As for their support, I received a miscast a couple of months ago; I emailed them about it on a Sunday evening not expecting to get a response for at least a day... They came back to me a little over an hour later to resolve the situation.

The plastic from the previous box set leaves a lot to be desired, but you can find the new set with decent plastic with e-tailers and retailers on this side of the pond already.

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2014, 09:43:15 »
Until I see clear pics of the new plastic minis, I don't want to buy a box set --- I think that money is best spent on metal minis instead.

calendraug

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2014, 10:35:12 »
I'm in the UK shipping cost has put me off from IWM. On a limited budget would like more mech vs postage cost. Ordered new box set from leisure games based in UK . It got here 6 days after ordering and the mini quality is way above 25th anniversary set. They have a wider range of minis than RPE too so they're worth a look.

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2014, 11:00:26 »
Until I see clear pics of the new plastic minis, I don't want to buy a box set --- I think that money is best spent on metal minis instead.

You would be doing yourself a big disservice then as the new box set that has the atlas on it has superb miniatures in it plus maps, rules, etch. In my opinion the miniatures are just as good as the metals.
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2014, 11:35:24 »
Like many said before if you are interested in basic design than RPE works quite well,you have sculptures of any Era till 3067 at normal price.If you are looking for some new stuff than IWM is the best,but shipping cost are going to kill your wallet.
Here an example of comparison between the old and new box set:
http://bg.battletech.com/?p=5518

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2014, 23:15:16 »
The pics here may not be that good with the close ups but they can surely show the difference. http://bg.battletech.com/?p=5518 I believe there are a few threads in the general discussion too that have some pics that were better taken however they may be a few pages back

I may not be in europe but I have had now problems with IWM and from what I have heard is that Ral Partha is still in service over there in Europe?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2014, 04:50:50 »

I am in Europe and the last few times I ordered with IWM, I also got an extra import tax from the customs. And they charge a lot for 'inspection fee'  >:( .
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2014, 09:05:35 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I guess I'll try to use RPE if possible.

As for the new box set, well, I am not more annoyed with things.  Had I waited, I could've gotten better minis.  What I don't understand is why didn't they **FIX** the minis from the first run itself?  Why did they accept such poor products?  Someone must've approached some manager and showed him the plastic minis and God help me, that manager said they were good enough to be shipped in an INTRO box set?!

Looking at local stores, I can't see any new box sets for sale (the one with the atlas on the cover, right?)... I just might pick up a new one though.  I really like the cardboard maps over the paper ones so two sets of those as well as two sets of intro rules and tactics ---- I can give away one set if I can find a new player that is interested.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2014, 09:18:03 »
Simple: you can only get a certain quality (or less but not better) of product from the existing molds . If the molds were what needed replaced, you had the following options:
1. Pay for what you got and use the minis produced.
2. Pay for what was produced and not put minis in the box set and use some else like cardboard cutouts.
3. Spend the large sum of money to produce new molds and rerun the minis in whatever delay that takes.
4. Pay for what was produced and scrap the entire box set.

It appears they chose 1. I would guess they also chose 3 and you are now seeing final result of that long delay.

As far as I know, CGL owns the molds so it isn't like the factory produced bad results from their molds. They did their job as contracted.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2014, 11:37:24 »
I am in Europe and the last few times I ordered with IWM, I also got an extra import tax from the customs. And they charge a lot for 'inspection fee'  >:( .

Sadly this happened to me too. >:( #P
 but IWM  is relieved of these responsibilities.
Unfortunately when the packages pass through customs is a bit like a roulette wheel, it can happen or not.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2014, 11:40:50 by agen2 »

Archer77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2014, 12:02:25 »
About the Customs fee, was it on a big order? I often order overseas but small orders and I have never gotten import taxes.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2014, 12:10:55 »
About the Customs fee, was it on a big order? I often order overseas but small orders and I have never gotten import taxes.

The size of the order is irrelevant checks are done at random.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 21 April 2014, 12:52:42 »
Sadly this happened to me too. >:( #P
 but IWM  is relieved of these responsibilities.
Unfortunately when the packages pass through customs is a bit like a roulette wheel, it can happen or not.
But 4 times in a row, like it happened to me?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2014, 13:03:36 »
But 4 times in a row, like it happened to me?
Wow 4 times :o  may I ask you in which country are you living?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 21 April 2014, 13:09:44 »
Wow 4 times :o  may I ask you in which country are you living?
The Netherlands

I think/suspect that the postal service here gets a cut of the inspection fee.  #P

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #19 on: 21 April 2014, 13:17:56 »

Expect about 10-20% added to your total. It happens rarely to be honest, though when it does it's infuriating... On the whole, I think it's well worth taking the bet.  ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 21 April 2014, 16:48:07 »
In the UK, current practice will see any imports with a declared value over about 30-40 quid get hit with customs. That's before you add any random inspection or excise assessments into the situation.

I understand that some ports and airports are much tighter about that sort of thing than others, but it's completely luck of the draw as to which point of entry your parcel's going to go to.

Also, if it's shipped through any major courier or parcel company, they'll often pay the customs charge regardless of value or declaration and then pass that on to you as a 'service.' I've had to ask family not to send me physical goods from back home anymore because I'm tired of having to ransom my birthday presents back from the couriers or royal mail.