Author Topic: “Bare metal” warships  (Read 328 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
“Bare metal” warships
« on: 08 April 2024, 15:59:49 »
I am looking for advice, I have collected the small but might blood spirit navy which is noted as having a “ bare metal” scheme but I have just not been happy with my results. I have tried metallic over black primer and a metallic primary but it either looks too dark or too bright. I have stripped the models again and I am ready to start again. What do you all suggest?

Greywind

• Lieutenant
Re: “Bare metal” warships
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2024, 16:19:50 »
If black is too dark and white is too bright, try priming with gray.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2024, 16:36:25 »
If black is too dark and white is too bright, try priming with gray.

This would be my suggestion as well. If you wanted to, you could put a drop or two of black primer in with the gray to drop it down a bit more, while still keeping that lighter contrast than the pure black.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2024, 18:16:22 »
I achieved a really nice metallic look on a hatchetman by applying a very watered down black wash directly to the bare metal.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2024, 18:41:12 »
What paint are you using?

The only correct answer is Vallejo Metal Color, by the way

It uses aluminum powder as the pigment with an ink for different colors.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2024, 19:37:31 »
What paint are you using?

The only correct answer is Vallejo Metal Color, by the way

It uses aluminum powder as the pigment with an ink for different colors.

Do you use it over a black primer?

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2024, 21:48:19 »
Do you use it over a black primer?

Vallejo recommends a gloss black primer, but a flat primer works as well.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2024, 00:51:51 »
FWIW I've been happy with dark grey as unpainted bare metal - when not using metallic paints ::think
Either flat dark grey or with a drop of red mixed in, depending on the effect I'm looking for :cheesy:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2024, 03:51:53 »
One simple approach is to base black, then drybrush metal paint of your choice over the top. Gives a good result.

Alternatively prime, then base in metal, and apply a black ink wash. But the drybrush method looks better, IMHO
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2024, 05:47:48 »
I usually spray them black, paint whatever and finish with Citadel's Leadbelcher for guns, engines and other metally stuff. It is the most rusty, thick and dense metallic color I had ever used. Great for battle damage and heavily used parts of any machine.
(+)

Periphery_Blues

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2024, 18:24:17 »
I have great success with Citadel's leadbelcher over a flat black rattle can primer, thinned down about 3 to 1 with water or if available, thinner medium. you can pull the greatest concentration of the shinies to where the light would naturally fall and get a solid base, then hit with nuln oil or your fav black wash ( also thinned) until you reach a satisfactory level of brightness. 

Good Painting!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: Today at 19:47:32 »
I have great success with Citadel's leadbelcher over a flat black rattle can primer, thinned down about 3 to 1 with water or if available, thinner medium. you can pull the greatest concentration of the shinies to where the light would naturally fall and get a solid base, then hit with nuln oil or your fav black wash ( also thinned) until you reach a satisfactory level of brightness. 

Good Painting!

My new ships have arrived ( courtesy of Aries miniatures) and I hope try this again on the weekend